Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have never setup any kind of home sound system. Just picked up a samsung 1000W system. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...stem/4789794.p?id=1218527811245&skuId=4789794.

I have an xfinity HD box and an insignia 42" lcd. The blue ray player works fine with the speakers but how do I get to use the speakers watching regular tv? Or say I put on a movie channel and want to use the sound system for it, how do you hook that up?

· Pierced & tattooed freak!
3,044 Posts
Don't order cables from eBay, try monoprice.com
I found great deals on wiring (optical, HDMI, etc.) from newegg also.

3,044 Posts

· Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright, ordered one from them. My question now is, I still dont understand how this works. The reciever is still connected to my tv hdmi so I can get the blue ray player. If I plug my xfinity box into the reciever with the optical cable, do I have to use the samsung remote for the reciever for volume or will my tv remote control that?

3,044 Posts
Odysseys said something before about a top-notch smart remote (can't remember exactly what he recommended). That might be your best option so you don't have to juggle a sh!tload of remotes.

· Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My comcast remote has an auxilary button. I'm hoping if I can somehow program that with the samsung blue ray reciever it will control the volume.

· ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔn&#60
11,268 Posts
Alright, ordered one from them. My question now is, I still dont understand how this works. The reciever is still connected to my tv hdmi so I can get the blue ray player. If I plug my xfinity box into the reciever with the optical cable, do I have to use the samsung remote for the reciever for volume or will my tv remote control that?
this is how it should look

cable/satelite plugged into the home theater via hdmi
all you accessories with also plug into the reciver by hdmi or coax or optical

the reciever then has a hdmi port out which will go to the tv and push all video to the tv

· Registered
8,364 Posts
harmony one as far as remote.

· Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
this is how it should look

cable/satelite plugged into the home theater via hdmi
all you accessories with also plug into the reciver by hdmi or coax or optical

the reciever then has a hdmi port out which will go to the tv and push all video to the tv
Ok I got it setup that way now. I went to hdmi 1 on the reciever and got regular tv now with audio out of the speakers. Now if I could get just 1 remote. I'm gonna see if I can find a code from samsung to get the volume to work on there remote otherwise il start researching em starting with the harmony that was suggested. Thanks for the help

· ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔn&#60
11,268 Posts
Harmony remotes all work the same though the interface and number if controlled devices will change. Plus some offer rf and ir outputs. Bottom line is a $50 logitech might work as well as the $300 models depending on your usage. There is no perfect remote. Believe me.
plus one on the Logitech harmony remote i have one that controls everything just about with a touch of a button expensive but you get what you pay for

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.