Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Moderator,
22,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The house I just bought has a humidifier attached to the furnace. I have it set to 35%, but I don't think it's working.

I pulled the side panel off the humidifier right after the furnace shut off and its completely dry in there. Is that right? I see where water is supposed to drip down but that's dry, too.

I'm new to this sort of thing so what should I be looking for to troubleshoot?

· Chief Apex Inspector
10,427 Posts
Yes, it should be wet - when the furnace runs the excess water comes out the drain at the bottom of the drip media.

Try it with the humidistat turned up all the way ( just to be sure )

There is a water feed ..... Usually to a T valve.... make sure it's open.

The water feed goes to a solenoid / valve that turns the flow on when the furnace starts.... these fail.

Put your finger on the solenoid and have Mar fire the furnace.... you should feel a sharp click.... if not the solenoid may be bad.

Putting a voltmeter across the solenoid and firing the furnace, you should see 12v ( I think ) to fire the solenoid .... if you do not, the humidistat is not "asking" for humidity.

Sundberg in South Elgin will have the part.

Change the drip media screen at the start of each heating season.

Tom

· Moderator,
22,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice.

I turned it all the way up and then opened the panel. Water is flowing, so it's working. I guess the humidity sensor might be a little off, which is why it never turned on.

There's a copper pipe that runs up to the humidifier, and its hot to the touch. I followed it into the unit and it's connected with the output valve at the top of the unit. And water is flowing smoothly out of that. I also checked and made sure the the drain hose was in place. It just sits in some PVC pipe that runs to the bottom of the hot water heater drain.

I'll keep an eye on the pipes for clogs and such.

I think I'll have Tony come out anyway to check on the furnace. The home-inspector said it was fine, but you never know with those guys.

· Chief Apex Inspector
10,427 Posts
Maintenance always a good idea ....

You can check your humidistat with one of those dual dial temp / humidity deals ..... we always keep one around the house for a second opinion.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.