Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i never had this problem before, but i do now

This has to do with keeping all the rooms at the same temp or darn close to the same temp.

i got all the air ducking equalizer vents in the basement closed here a touch, a few wide open...i did a good job, all the rooms only differ by 1 degree EXCEPT! the guest bedroom over the garage...that room is staying 4-5 degrees colder then all the other rooms, i have tried everything like even closing some of the vents down stairs and in one of the other bedrooms to kick some more pushed air into there while still keeping it very close to all the same temps in all the rooms.

Well, this bedroom is right over the garage, and I haven't heated the garage yet, don't know when I will get around to it, BUT i am thinking I will have to add (and I never did this before) an in line blower for the ducking that goes to that room.
Anyone done this before, DOES it work.

I talked to one of the head guys around here and he said yes that is always a problem with a bed room over a garage, and my idea is the best solution.

I just wanted to see if any of the hoomies around here ever did that and how good did it work?

the bed room is the farthest from the furnace and the longest section of forced air to be pumped into a room. its not a shared line its dedicated for that room, and you can hardly feel any flow from that vent (humm this just poped in my head, maybe i should check that diverter valve in that section to make sure they didnt align it wrong) but anyway, what ya guys think?

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Ken,

that would probably work. I have the same problem. I bought two lizards and have heatlamps going all the time in there.:laughing :laughing that workd too.:laughing :laughing Sometimes it takes half the winter to get it right. I think getting an attic fan will help in the upstairs all together. I need to get some ceiling fans too, especially with my high ceilings. Let me know how that inline fan thing works for you though.

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what will an attic fan do?

i dont know about the lil tricks, the last house i had in orland was a tri-level home, and everything was fine in there, even out master bed room was over the garage too.

i dont know about this shit:laughing

·
BEER!
5,970 Posts
Ken,

When I started reading about this, the first thing I thought of was an in line blower. Yeah, if that ducting run from the basement to the garage is longer than the others, you'll probably need an in line blower to make up for the pressure drop.

I'm sure there's somebody around here that knows a lot more than I do. I couldn't even tell you where to put it.

I have the same problem, but that's just because I decided to put a loveseat over the vent (my vents are on the floor), so my living room gets damn cold! :laughing

Chris

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Odysseys said:
what will an attic fan do?

i dont know about the lil tricks, the last house i had in orland was a tri-level home, and everything was fine in there, even out master bed room was over the garage too.

i dont know about this shit:laughing
Attic fans are more for the summer they blast the hot air out of the attic. I'm having more of a problem in the winter though. Cause we have the animals in the house we keep bathroom and closet doors closed. that blocks off their vents. Besides my upstairs vents don't seem to blow out air very strong anyway:(

Ceiling fans in the winter will help blow the hot air that rose to the ceiling back to the floor.;)

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
I'm going out with a that friend I had you call for your A/C tonight. I'll ask him about the blower. Cause I may want one too.

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
Just use that room for sex. It'll be plenny warm.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
KBOlsen said:
Just use that room for sex. It'll be plenny warm.

:laughing :laughing here we go...Kim and her one track mind.:laughing :laughing :rofl :rofl

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Ken one of my neighbors has a simular setup with a room over the garage. It was always colder no matter what he did. But once he heated his garage that room became a few degrees warmer than the other rooms. The garage is cooling that room down right now.

By the way what heater are you getting? I've been looking at them too.

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
But Crazy... we're talking about Ken the Love Stud!:laughing

·
Banned
1,877 Posts
GsxrTony said:
Ken one of my neighbors has a simular setup with a room over the garage. It was always colder no matter what he did. But once he heated his garage that room became a few degrees warmer than the other rooms. The garage is cooling that room down right now.

By the way what heater are you getting? I've been looking at them too.
Me being a contractor....T's right. The garage is keeping that room colder. The blower with help with the air flow, but it will still be colder because nothing is heating the floor from below.

My dad's house has the master bedroom above the garage. The room was always colder(he liked it that way) then the rest of the house even though the garage was insulated. We just recently put a heat run to the garage off the furnace(no need for a secondary heat source...furnace is 3' away) and it keeps the garage a constant 50F, which in turn, helps the bedroom out. My mom's also likes that her car is always warm before she goes to work(leather seats).........your wife should like it as well Ken.

·
CLSB SuperHero
1,808 Posts
taziscool said:
Me being a contractor....T's right. The garage is keeping that room colder. The blower with help with the air flow, but it will still be colder because nothing is heating the floor from below.

My dad's house has the master bedroom above the garage. The room was always colder(he liked it that way) then the rest of the house even though the garage was insulated. We just recently put a heat run to the garage off the furnace(no need for a secondary heat source...furnace is 3' away) and it keeps the garage a constant 50F, which in turn, helps the bedroom out. My mom's also likes that her car is always warm before she goes to work(leather seats).........your wife should like it as well Ken.
Well my problem is reversed. In the summer, the upstairs is easily 6-7 degrees hotter than the downstairs. Will an attic fan help this? how about an all house fan? which is better?

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
TerminatorR1 said:

Well my problem is reversed. In the summer, the upstairs is easily 6-7 degrees hotter than the downstairs. Will an attic fan help this? how about an all house fan? which is better?
All house fans are awsome. You don't see them much anymore. An attic fan will help but it may be a lot better if you adjust your duct valves summer/winter.

·
CLSB SuperHero
1,808 Posts
Crazy said:

All house fans are awsome. You don't see them much anymore. An attic fan will help but it may be a lot better if you adjust your duct valves summer/winter.
I did. It didnt help much.:(

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
TerminatorR1 said:

I did. It didnt help much.:(
Do you have ceiling fans???

·
"PC" ,my balls
1,620 Posts
I have to shut the vents in my bedroom because of my waterbed. It heats the room quite a bit it seems. Ken, if this is a guest room why waste the heat. Leave it cooler and if you have guests give them an extra blanket or a space heater. When you eventually heat your garage it should solve the problem. I don't know much about those inline fans but it seems like it would be hard to get to a second floor duct.

·
CLSB SuperHero
1,808 Posts
Crazy said:

Do you have ceiling fans???
Yes I do, but that is why it is only 6-7 degrees hotter than 10 degrees hotter.:(

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks guy for all the info, well, for right now i think the inline blower will 1 not cost much extra at all other then its cost to run and few cents in electricity, other then that YES KIM me and my wife have had sex almost in every room and just about all the closets:D

Tony, I am thinking an industrial electric blower heater might be the best bet?
Gas will already be high in the winter why not go electric to off balance it?

That's what I am thinking or screw it all and go gas?

i dunno, but i think the blower is my 1st choice right now, since i would need to insulate the sides of the garage before i would do a heater in there, (it will be less affective)

·
BEER!
5,970 Posts
bluebusa60544 said:
I have to shut the vents in my bedroom because of my waterbed. It heats the room quite a bit it seems. Ken, if this is a guest room why waste the heat. Leave it cooler and if you have guests give them an extra blanket or a space heater. When you eventually heat your garage it should solve the problem. I don't know much about those inline fans but it seems like it would be hard to get to a second floor duct.
This is what I thought of after awhile. 4-5 degrees isn't too bad. How often is the room used? It's just wasted heat if the room is rarely used. I close off the vent in my 'spare' bedroom since it's never used for anything other than my weight lifting.

·
Lovin this Twin
1,980 Posts
Ken is the ceiling of your garage insulated? I see your walls are not. that would be a huge help and simple to do.

Whole house fans are by far better then attic fans for the summer........ ya gotta have a window open for them to work right though.

Also....... leave your doors open in all the rooms upstairs so the air can move around.

Id buy a space heater for the few times ya might actually use that room until ya get the garage insulated. It will make a big difference in that room.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts