Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
pfft.
11,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a little compact HP deskjet printer for a few years now....I bought it because I needed a very basic printer, because it was inexpensive, and because it was super compact when I was living in a teeny apartment. It really hasn't held up at all-- it mangles paper, jams all the time, and now it just flat out won't print. It thinks it's printing, but it doesn't.

Anyway, I am doing more work at home and both Jeff and I are running home businesses on the side. I would like to buy a new printer:
-haven't been impressed with inkjets-- i'm thinking laser.
-under $200 if possible. totally willing to buy off ebay or amazon or similar
-haven't been too impressed with HP but willing to try it again if it meets my standards. I've seen a samsung that looks interesting, and have always had great luck with their products,
-not too big (I have about a 14" square footprint of space to work with)
-B&W and color
-speed not an issue
-reliability a plus
-will be printing no more than 100 pages per month; would like replacement cartridges to be affordable, but since I've only ever bought inkjet ones I don't know what I'm in for.
-need toner cartridge replacement to be convenient-- I'm not driving all around town or waiting 7-10 days for new ones.

This place is full of opinions...you are now all permitted to express yours. Thanks in advance.

·
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D
11,172 Posts
if you dont care for doing photos at home go laser

get the samsung CLP300 color laser jet, they can be had at officedepot max staples for around 200bucks

they have seperate toner tanks that cost around 49.99 apiece.

·
[Online]
3,695 Posts
If B&W only will do it for you, check out OKI B4250. They're reliable and very cheap to run. The technology is LED which is similar to laser. Toner cartridges for them are generally cheaper than for laser printers in the same price range.

·
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔn&#60
11,372 Posts
Newegg.com is your friend alot of great printers under 200 and great services

·
Facilitator
391 Posts

·
Irony helps us play!
29,500 Posts
You could always get both.

I snagged an old HP Laserjet4 (B&W old workhorse) at a garage sale and it had a network card in it too :) It only ever printed around 10K sheets (practically nothing for a printer like that...thank you STATUS sheet printout) and it cost me $15. A Halfway decent color inkjet can run you about $100. Use each for their intended purpose.

·
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D
11,172 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
HP makes good laser printers. I had an HP LaserJet 5 that I used forever (7+ years) and it didn't give me a problem until I dropped a hub on it and broke the screen. Even then it still worked. The LaserJet5 is a little bit big (not a table top printer) and its quite old. However, HP does make a bunch of table top laser printers (like the 6L). I currently have an HP Color LaserJet 5500 and I am really happy with it. It works great. I've never had a problem with any HP product I have (computer, printers, scanners). I haven't used ink jet printers in like 10 years and I don't think I would ever buy one because laserjet is much better.

·
Irony helps us play!
29,500 Posts
HP makes good laser printers. I had an HP LaserJet 5 that I used forever (7+ years) and it didn't give me a problem until I dropped a hub on it and broke the screen. Even then it still worked. The LaserJet5 is a little bit big (not a table top printer) and its quite old. However, HP does make a bunch of table top laser printers (like the 6L). I currently have an HP Color LaserJet 5500 and I am really happy with it. It works great. I've never had a problem with any HP product I have (computer, printers, scanners). I haven't used ink jet printers in like 10 years and I don't think I would ever buy one because laserjet is much better.
I also still have a 5P from 1996 on the kid's machine in the basement. Still spits out pages like a champ. :cheers:

·
Your friendly Crazy Canuk
12,731 Posts
Stay away from lexmark
Why:confused I have two...both work like swiss watches:)

Allison...I have a Xerox Work Center X35c and 2 Dell/Lexmark Laser printer that are awesome. I also have a HP 330 Photo printer. Staples in Barrington had awesome deals on all printers last week.

·
4,564 Posts
Lexmark sucks.

If your going laser, then stick with HP parts and support are available. They're bullet proof. Stick with genuine toner, and not recycled, and you'll never have issues.

·
The Halo hides my Horns
12,685 Posts
^^^ Greg happens to know what he's talking about, he's been Laserjet certified for longer then most of you have been using printers. :)

I was an HP service tech for 4 years, and I could wallpaper my office with my HP certs.

That said, any printer under $200 is considered "disposable" by most manufacturers. They build them to sell ink/toner, which is where they make their money.

Any printer under $200, simply use and abuse it till it drops, then go buy another. Cost of consumables is what you should be factoring into your decision more then anything else (behind reliablity of course).

As for Lexmark, they are poorly designed, fully disposable units at any price. They aren't made to be maintained, and painful to work on. I used to be Lexmark certified...but I intentionally let my certs expire as I couldn't stand working on them and didn't want to be called in on those anymore.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend any specific printer under $200, because they are considered disposable (by the manufacturers mind you) so they are never serviced by a tech such as myself. They are either swapped for referb if under warranty, or simply tossed in the trash. So I couldn't tell you what's good. Hell, I'm still using a 12 year old HP LaserJet 5N. Besides replacing toner and dusting it off, I've never needed anything else. :)

·
Your friendly Crazy Canuk
12,731 Posts
Lexmark sucks.

If your going laser, then stick with HP parts and support are available. They're bullet proof. Stick with genuine toner, and not recycled, and you'll never have issues.
I love when people just post "so and so sucks" why? This is the second time I have asked in this thread "Why does Lexmark suck?" Not one answer:wtf: I had one in the shop....with 15 people using it...it never had any down time. I have 2 at home yes wearing Dell labels but they are Lexmarks...and I had teenagers fucking with them everyday...they both perform brilliantly...so tell me why Lexmark sucks:confused

And just to keep it going.......Gixxers suck:twofinger

·
Clever Girl
10,204 Posts
I love when people just post "so and so sucks" why? This is the second time I have asked in this thread "Why does Lexmark suck?" Not one answer:wtf:
:robewizar

As for Lexmark, they are poorly designed, fully disposable units at any price. They aren't made to be maintained, and painful to work on. I used to be Lexmark certified...but I intentionally let my certs expire as I couldn't stand working on them and didn't want to be called in on those anymore.
And for the record, I've had many Lexmark printers that have come free with various computers and within a couple months of light use, they start making all sorts of unnatural noises and the print quality drops drastically. Following all the maintenance in the manual does nothing, so I chucked them in the trash and got a HP.

·
SV650N
3,117 Posts
I've been using HP Laserjets (b & w only) for 5 years now and reliability is top-notch. I'm never going back to inkjets. What a scam that is.

Currently I'm running an HP LJ 1320 (and previously an LJ1100) and they're both really top-notch machines. You might be able to buy either one of these for less than $200 (and maybe even used). Good luck.

·
Irony helps us play!
29,500 Posts
I've been using HP Laserjets (b & w only) for 5 years now and reliability is top-notch. I'm never going back to inkjets. What a scam that is.

Currently I'm running an HP LJ 1320 (and previously an LJ1100) and they're both really top-notch machines. You might be able to buy either one of these for less than $200 (and maybe even used). Good luck.

http://houston.craigslist.org/sys/458844379.html

I have 2 HP 1320n Laser Jets printers. $100 each they RETAIL for $399.
832-594-9508 serious offers only. make me an offer.....

Nice bargain :)

·
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!
3,648 Posts
Why:confused I have two...both work like swiss watches:)
I have 2 @ my work and they work great as long as you don't print to them. Other than that the design is absolute garbage when compared to HP printers of the same class. Maintenance on an HP takes ~5min while on the Lexmarks it takes 30+ as you have to re-engineer the damn thing with all the screws and wires that have to be removed and put back. You may save a few bucks off the bat by buying the Lex but its not worth the hassle in the long run. They work like cheap Chinese replica Swiss Watches

·
SV650N
3,117 Posts
Oh, and when the HP starts giving you the 'low ink' signal, that means you've got AT LEAST another 100 pages to print. So, take that message with a grain of salt, it'll save you in the long run. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts