Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My home system is all done, actually has been for a while. 100% happy. But I saw this new trend of tiny...and I mean tiny speaker trend. Can they really sound any good or is it just cool to have your speakers hidden?
http://technabob.com/blog/2007/05/24/sony-dav-is10-home-theater-tiny-satellites-big-boom/
Cannot picture these things producing any mid and really cannot see them sounding as good as having 2 full tower speakers, nice large center and bookshelf rears. I guess I could be wrong but this seems nuts. Anyone ever hear one of these?

Under200

·
Ninja Kick!
1,646 Posts
From my own experiences you are correct. If you are more accustomed to listening to the current trend of music which tends to lack mid range you will not be disappointed, but if you are a metal head like myself then you'll be cursing them.

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
Those are even smaller then the Bose AM3 and AM5 set up I have. I am totally satisfied with mine with any style of music.

·
Armed law abiding citizen
19,052 Posts
Ultimately, you need a large speaker for bass. But you can choose where to put ot because it is not a directional speaker.

·
Raging lunar zoomonkey
2,221 Posts
every since bose came out with the cube speakers what 10 or 12 years ago people have been straining to get big sound out of small speakers.....just isn't going to happen. It is nice to see a truely hidden system but it just isn't going to have the sound of a full system.

·
The Violator
4,101 Posts
It all depends on what level of performance you want. If you really know what to listen for, chances are these won't cut it.

Sound quality is like anything else though. In the end, it's all relative. If you have been listening to something worse than these you may like them.

·
Semper Fidellis
1,619 Posts
Room size is always an issue for satelite systems. These systems are great for a small to medium sized media room, but anything bigger and you will feel lke you are at the back of a lecture hall straining to listen. Sound quality as stated in previous posts, is another pitfall for satelite systems.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Amazing that people will pay more to get worse sound. I guess they have a kick ass marketing department that can fool a lot of people.
I am a fan of using larger quality speakers. My left and right channel fronts are huge ass towers. about 3 1/2ft tall and 1ft 1/2 wide. Sure you can see them as plain as day but I don't really mind. They sound great. Likewise my center channel is pretty huge but it sounds amazing, especially at replicating the human voice which is the most difficult sound to mimic.
I guess the small speaker thing is just the new chic trend that brags about being invisible but can't live up to the claim of big sound. Different strokes for different folks.

Under200

·
Raging lunar zoomonkey
2,221 Posts
6 years ago I worked at the circuit city in downers.....I was seriously shocked at the number of people that came in and said. "I just don't want to see the speakers"

I heard every crazy scheme in the world from drop ceiling speakers to shoving the speaker into a planter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts