Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i need to get these things covered before the snow comes....i went to home depot..and FUCK THAT, i am not going to pay 35.00 for a plastic blue cover that looks like shit and i am NOT going to pay (anywhere from 70-100.00+) for some other HARD clear textured plastic with some angle aluminum for these things also.

what did you guys do?
i am either thinking of making my own..to having someone make something cool, like cast iron grilling with a lock latch on the isde for EASY pin removal..to get out just incase, to let in light, and has a clear plastic protection from rain or snow.

what ya guys think, did or know anyone that does iron gating thats custom?

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Odysseys said:
well i need to get these things covered before the snow comes....i went to home depot..and FUCK THAT, i am not going to pay 35.00 for a plastic blue cover that looks like shit and i am NOT going to pay (anywhere from 70-100.00+) for some other HARD clear textured plastic with some angle aluminum for these things also.

what did you guys do?
i am either thinking of making my own..to having someone make something cool, like cast iron grilling with a lock latch on the isde for EASY pin removal..to get out just incase, to let in light, and has a clear plastic protection from rain or snow.

what ya guys think, did or know anyone that does iron gating thats custom?

I was at Menards last night and saw the plastic ones for $15. That's what I was thinking about getting. As far as security, I have made some iron bars myself for my dads garage. It wouldn't be that hard to do if you have the tools.

I don't see spending a ton of $$$$ on the covers either. They are supposed to keep rain and snow out and heat in. Well just about any cover keeps rain and snow out, and heat rises and most of your heat is going to start at ground level since your basement isn't finished so I don't see you loses much energy.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Forgot to tell you. You can hide the ugly plastic covers with your landscaping.;)

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
security wise..this house is locked down like a mother fucker...no one comes in or out with out me knowing exactly who it was, nor can they get in at any point, got it all covered.

aside from that..i just dont like the cheesy as look of those things

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Odysseys said:

I didn't like the big a/c unit hangin' off the side of the house. What I did was take some of the retaining wall blocks ane make a semi-circle around it. I plan to plant something like day lillies in there to hide it. You could do the same with the covers or just put some bushes around it.

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Odysseys said:
security wise..this house is locked down like a mother fucker...no one comes in or out with out me knowing exactly who it was, nor can they get in at any point, got it all covered.

LOL Kens gonna come home tonight and find me watching his TV, drinkin his beer and hangin with his puppy :D :D :twofinger :twofinger

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I got steel ones that I think are plastic coated or maybe powder coated. I don't care about the rain and snow. I wanted to keep people and animals out of the window wells. This was from a place in Plainfield.

In the summer I can keep these in place for security and still let in air and light.

I can get you the name of the company but I think it was simply called Window Well Covers.

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Just something to keep in mind if you make your own or go with bars- My friend in plainfield put plexi-glass over his because he didnt want to spend some dough and to make a long story short they were covered with snow and the meter reader or gas guy stepped on it and it gave way to a broken leg and a torn ham or something. Basically a lawsuit engaged and sure the homeowners covered it but they could of fought it by his neglegence. Just my .02 ;)

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
busadave PLEASE get me that #..i really like the look of the cast iron grate for a cover.

thanks bro

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
BusaDave said:
I got steel ones that I think are plastic coated or maybe powder coated. I don't care about the rain and snow. I wanted to keep people and animals out of the window wells. This was from a place in Plainfield.

In the summer I can keep these in place for security and still let in air and light.

I can get you the name of the company but I think it was simply called Window Well Covers.

Dave,

Were they expensive????

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Guys, I'll have to see if I can get the info when I get home. They are custom made and they're pretty quick about it. I like them better than the plastic ones and they offer more security.

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dave i think i found the place your talking about..looks like the only 1 in plainfeild that does custom cast iron.
they even have a web site which i am gonna go check out.

www.quickstrong.com

who knows...maybe get a GP going:laughing

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i need 2 of the small and 2 of the LARGE.
95.00 x 2 = 190.00
175.00x2= 350.00
(540.00) so maybe around 600.00 with tax and installation maybe?

i rather buy a welder and go a it myself from these materials that can be easyly bought at a steel yard:laughing

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Odysseys said:
i need 2 of the small and 2 of the LARGE.
95.00 x 2 = 190.00
175.00x2= 350.00
(540.00) so maybe around 600.00 with tax and installation maybe?

i rather buy a welder and go a it myself from these materials that can be easyly bought at a steel yard:laughing

Or spend $15x2=$30 on the plastic ones and drill some holes for ventilation and rig up a locking system:D :laughing :laughing

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Odysseys said:
or a couple of 2x4's and some chicken wire.:jester

Just use that Giant butt plug you got:laughing :rofl :rofl :p

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
Well I gave glass block basement windows....so security is tight. As far as the covers all I wanted to do was prevent snow and rain from coming in. I hated those flimsy bluish covers too. They were flimsy and pricey. I went with the transulcent white plastic ones that snap in and sit on top of the well. They are super strong (I can jump on them) and allow light to come in. I think they were about $25 a piece. I think I got them at Menards...could have been HD though.

The previous owner just cut plexiglasss half circles and let them sit on top....not a bad idea, but not very strong.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Kruz said:
Well I gave glass block basement windows....so security is tight.
If you glass block them shut without a way to get out it's a fire hazard, I believe. I know the codes in my town would make it hard to sell the house if that was done.

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
Newer codes that is an issue, but my house was built in 1957 so I'm ok.

Also, I believe it has to have a bedroom in order to be in violation.

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
Even if the old windows were still there, I'd like to see someone climb through these windows to the outside. There's no way they could fit...let alone jump up there.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts