Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a basic over view of how to do it..some bikes might differ in disassembly for each bike...but most is common sense applications.

1. Support the rear end of the bike with a rear stand.

2. support the front of the bike off the ground by atleast 6-12 inchs. you are either going to need a front stand that lifts from the underside lower triple tree clamp OR lift the front end by means of hoist. make sure if you do this...to use soft straps that can support over a 1000 pounds as well as all your assembly of lifting the bike. some front jack lifts stnads will even get in the way of doing this for removing the forks...dependant on bike.

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
now since most lower triple tree clamp nuts are blocked from GOOD reach to loosened and tighten and to RE TORQUE properly
I decided to remove the front nose (consult your service manual for part break down and removal) its pretty easy though.
and while you have it, bikes with ram air and or DIRTY insides..now is the time to CHECK that everything is in good working order and nothing looks worn or pinched and all is clean.

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next we need to get that front tire off and fender.
(consult your service manual) but again its pretty easy.

remove your break calipers and tie them up so they don't hang and put tension pressure on the break lines

On almost all bikes..to remove the front tire...there is 1 side that is the nut and the other side is a solid axle.

usually (consult your manual though) the left side is the nut part.
loosen the left side pinch bolts so you can turn the retaining nut.
now remove the nut. now loosen the other sides pinch bolts so you can pull the axle threw, now push the axle threw and remove the tire. make special attention the way you took it off..most bikes have different sized side spacers for each side...i would suggest after removing the tire..to reassemble the way it was, so later you don't forget..and place the front tire off to the side..make special attention NOT to lay it on its side or anything else that can bend your rotors.
when putting it back on you'll know which way the tire rolls foward...there is an arrow of direction on the rim, align that and your set.

Now for the front fender...(consult your service manual) but most and this is easy, once the front tire is removed...look under the fender..there is usually 2 bolts on each side..holding the WHOLE assembly one..and usually 1 bolt on each side toward the front near the bottom of the fender where it touches the fork.

remove those bolts..and off she comes

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well now that was easy..now its time to remove the forks

1st, measure how much STOCK or CURRENTLY your forks are raised threw the TOP triple tree clamp so you can put then back EXACTLY or you can adjust them if you like later. but atleast you know where they were before you removed

...what i would do is put some tape on easy lower fork and write down...on each one left side for the left and right side for the right
and putting them back on make sure you got the proper side on each side. also note the top of the fork where you got your (either dependent on bike) compression and or rebound adjusters...that <~ L T ~>(loosen tighten) the right way so it doesn't look all angled like an idiot.
and also maybe now is the time to raise the forks some to get more flick in and faster steering (consult others for how much to raise them, and how much is TOO much. usually up to 6 mm on any bike wont hurt the geometry to make it REALLY unstable. i heard and seen guys going as high as 10 mm (but thats border line tank slapper there) just keep that in mind. since your going to put them back on and there all ready to be adjusted.

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok now we got them OFF:cheers

note that the inside of the clamps are clean and free from grim. clean them out with some steel wool, and some degreasing agent..that way when you put them back on...your good to go.

and also clean anything else that looks dirty in there...a clean bike is a happy bike.

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TIP SECTION:

Heres some tips to keep in mind when doing all this.

Take your time
remember to break down the parts into different sections to the main parts you token off.
Take pictures if you can to note the way things were.

when taking off and putting the forks back on...snug all bolts before torque them down.
the order i like to loosen to take off and to tighten to put back on is...the upper triple tree clamp, the lower then the handle bar clamp when going to install them

good luck, let me know if ya guys got any questions

now go take those forks to the pros to rebuild;)

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the whole purpose of this how too...is to do it yourself to save money...BUT hey ill help you if you need help...AT $50.00 PER HOUR:laughing :evil :twofinger :-

·
Registered
2 Posts
Odysseys- That was a great article....I'm saving this so I can show someone later how this is supposed to be done.:thumbsup

Good job.

Thanks.:)

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey no problem....hope i can help someone with this info.
thats what i like to do:D

p.s. tony charges 20 bucks an hour for oil changes.

also note my prices just went up another 50 bucks to 100 per hour:laughing ...just kidding:jester

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
oo price wars.

Nice article Ody

I suspended my bike with the pass thruhole in the center of the bike. Large steel bar on jack stands. Rear strapped down. But I like your suspended method much better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts