Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new computer. Mine now sounds like a weedwacker ! ! Shes gonna blow any day now ! ! Is there any manufacturers that I should be staying away from ? I only need a CPU and a good quality printer.

Printers..... I want a good quality photo printer. Anyone have a recommendations of whats best ? Im leaning towards Cannon but.... I was told to stay away from HP. Im told the printers are good but they still use the single color cartridges..one color gone change the whole damn thing.

Most of you know Im not a computer guru so dont get too technical with me !:twofinger

Whats good....whats bad.....

·
Registered
899 Posts
Building your own is the best bet. If you can't do that (or can't get one of us to get it for you) get a Dell. They are priced very competatively (read: lowest price) and you can almost always get free shit like CD-burners and what not thrown in. Check out this site for super deals on Dells.

·
Banned
43 Posts
if you aren't a computer guru, i DO NOT suggest building your own. Not that you can't handle it, but if you have problems, you generally have to go to each manufacturer for support, where if you buy a pre-built pc, you just call them and they take care of it.

save yourself a ton of headaches and buy a Dell! :D

·
Grammaton Cleric
1,842 Posts

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Prices on full system packages are at an all-time low. I agree you should take a look at a Dell. Go to their web site and look around for what you want. They were recently offering a full system with flat-screen monitor for amazing prices.

·
Cuddlie as a koala
7,520 Posts
Whaterver you do, DONT BUY A COMCRAP!!! (Compaq:D) Might as well not look at HP's either since they now own Comcrap.:laughing

·
Registered
528 Posts
Stay away from the Gateway's as well. Have had mine for just about a year now and have had numerous problems with it. Bought it because of the price and because of their stores being nearby which I thought meant faster service, WRONG!! My modem went out a few months ago and since it was still under warranty I brought it in to be repaired and they told me that I would need to go back to the factory since it was a warranty item. When I asked how long they said 2-4 WEEKS!! Screw that!! I had them send me a new modem Fex Ex and I did it myself. They then proceed to charge me for the shipping of the new one as well as the shipping for the old one to be sent back otherwise they would have charged me for the modem as well. Problem # 2. The sound card went out a month ago and same deal, since it's under warranty it neds to go back to the factory (here we go again). Just went out and bought a new sound card SCREW THEM!!:mad Next Time I'm buying a Dell. Have heard nothing but good things about them from our IS Dept. at work and from others who know more about computers than me.

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
i got a good deal from toys R us, i got a 1/2 meg 25 sdram with a floopy drive, from fisher price at toys r us...and it comes in red or blue..its fucken awesome!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Odysseys said:
i got a good deal from toys R us, i got a 1/2 meg 25 sdram with a floopy drive, from fisher price at toys r us...and it comes in red or blue..its fucken awesome!
:eek:t So Ken, what color did YOU get? and more importantly can you mount it under the seat of the bike to dial in the Power Commander while riding? Now that would be cool.

·
Registered
18,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info.

What about a good quality photo printer ? Any horror stories or cheers that anyone wants to share ?

·
Please attend carefully..
2,625 Posts
Whenever my laptop locks up, I just shake it up and down...oh, wait, that's my etch-a-sketch!

One thing you may want to do...if you work for a company that has a hardware support/help desk that normally installs computers for employees, ask them for advice.

Are you looking to go laptop or desktop?

·
Registered
899 Posts
2weelpilot said:
Thanks for the info.

What about a good quality photo printer ? Any horror stories or cheers that anyone wants to share ?
I've always liked epson photo printers. Great quality and good prices. You can't really go wrong with HP but sometimes they're a little shitty in terms of quality.

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
I just recently got a new computer. Normally I make my own systems up. This time I had lots of SONY $$$ on the Sony card so I got a Sony. Cant beat nearly free. Ok it cost lots to get the free $$$ but hey gota pay for track days some how. Anyway, Dell probably has the best deals out there. I have heard nothing but good stuff from Cannon printers. HP isn't bad. But the they can get expensive to replace, but I never ran out of the first since I will do my printing on the laser copier there as well.

·
Man with Big Hose
1,432 Posts
Read...build your own" as meaning confiquring your own. Dell is good if ya want mainstream and a WHOLE LOTTA useless programs tossed in. Go to ABSComputers if ya want a good built-for-u without the useless extras for a great price:)

·
Registered
18,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im going desktop. I have my laptop for work. And I am the company / self employed - 5 others = no help desk !

Anyone know anything about Cannon photo printers ? HP is good but the crappy cartridges. There has to be someone on here that prints pics ? No ?

·
Man with Big Hose
1,432 Posts
Hp crappy cartriges:confused :confused :confused :confused

I'm on my 3rd HP printer and never had any issues with the HP cartirges. ...Though one word...COSTCO:thumbsup

·
Registered
18,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
crappy = dont they still have the all in one color cartridges ? Not individual colors ?

·
Registered
18,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
and I assume Costco sells kits only ? I want the CPU , dont need a monitor , will most likely buy the printer separately. Wont find a top notch printer in a package deal ( I dont think)

·
Registered
899 Posts
2weelpilot said:

Anyone know anything about Cannon photo printers ? HP is good but the crappy cartridges. There has to be someone on here that prints pics ? No ?
See previous post. Buy an EPSON.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts