Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
CRF50 Squid
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Buy nice long grain white sticky rice. The whiter and longer the grain the better. I like the Three flying horses brand and the three roses brand. January and February is the best time to buy Asian rice as it is harvested in December. Take it from a man who's family has many many rice patties.:jester

Get a bamboo basket and aluminum pot. Less than $10 total at new Chinatown. Optional, invest $5 in a bamboo rice keeper. It will stay fresher longer.

Soak rice in water for at least 1 hour, preferably 2-3 hours. Put about 2" of water into the aluminum pot. Place 1-2 cups of your pre-soaked sticky rice into bamboo basket and cover with a pot lid. Turn your stove to high let steam for 20-30 minutes or until rice is tender to your liking.

That's it. Sticky rice is the food of royalty. Enjoy with your favorite food.

[edit] You may want to spray some Pam or whipe some oil onto bamboo basket before steaming the rice. This makes cleanup much easier.

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Tony's got cash for your rice

·
Clever Girl
10,204 Posts
Sounds like a lot of work. My mother-in-law just uses a rice cooker. Turns out pretty sticky.

·
Banned
17,542 Posts
Tiger, baby.

·
CRF50 Squid
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sold! Always wash the rice that are shipped from Asia. They come all natural and are not very clean but are packed full of nutrients.

American rice is bleached, losing most of it's nutrients then it is "enriched" to put back most of what it lost. Don't wash American rice. The more you know. :laughing

·
CRF50 Squid
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like a lot of work. My mother-in-law just uses a rice cooker. Turns out pretty sticky.
It tastes better steamed then in a rice cooker. The texture is completely different. Plus with a bamboo steamer, you can't put in too much water or not enough water. It's always just right.

·
Clever Girl
10,204 Posts
It tastes better steamed then in a rice cooker. The texture is completely different. Plus with a bamboo steamer, you can't put in too much water or not enough water. It's always just right.
I'll have to take your word for it lol. With the amount of rice my inlaws eat, I bet they are just too lazy to steam it. I swear they go through one of those 40-50 lb bags every week :jester

·
Your friendly Crazy Canuk
12,731 Posts
Crap Mao...import some Asians, Indians, West Indies, crap even some Italians Borrington needs some ethnic cuisine....I'm tired of driving to Schaumburg just to eat.

·
Old Squid on a Blade
9,388 Posts
Wow, old school. Have you tried it with a metal collander vs. the bamboo basket?

We are too lazy and use a real nice automatic rice cooker we got from Cost Co of all places. It replaced the 20 year old unit that was still working just fine. My inlaws liked it enough that I had to pick one up for them too. We go through a 50 pound sack of Nikki every couple months.

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
What about short-grain rice? Isn't that more gluten-ious, er, more sticky?

·
CRF50 Squid
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, old school. Have you tried it with a metal collander vs. the bamboo basket?
I have tried it both ways, and the bamboo steamer tastes better and has better texture. The rice is firmer and has a better aroma since it is not soaking in water.

What about short-grain rice? Isn't that more gluten-ious, er, more sticky?
Short grain rice is actually cheaper low grade rice. My uncle uses it to feed his ducks and pigs.

·
Special Agent Lance Boyle
6,704 Posts
bamboo basket? fuck that, just toss some properly rinsed and measured Kokuho Rose in the Zojorushi and be done with it.

·
Banned
17,542 Posts
I have tried it both ways, and the bamboo steamer tastes better and has better texture. The rice is firmer and has a better aroma since it is not soaking in water.
It's just rice dude.:laughing: BTW, Thai Jasmine rice FTW!

·
CRF50 Squid
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll take the blind Pepsi challenge any old day. Bamboo steamer vs pot cooked rice. By the aroma alone, I can tell which one was steamed and what was boiled.

And rice is not just rice. There are hundreds of varieties of rice. Rice is graded for quality just like tea, fruits, and other agricultural products. The rice you buy in January tastes much better than the rice you buy in October.

Take it from a man who's family has been growing and eating rice for centuries. And no matter what Uncle Ben tells you, Uncle Ben's rice is crap. :laughing

·
4,564 Posts
I'm making Kung Pao chicken and rice tonight. Everything is better with rice.

·
Old Squid on a Blade
9,388 Posts
No I meant to use it just like the bamboo. Suspend it over the water. I just thought it would be easier to clean. I know what you mean about using bamboo. It adds it's own flavor. I have stackable bamboo steamers I put on my Wok to do the veggies and dumplings although I do get lazy and use the steamer portion of the rice cooker if I'm not making rice.

Now you got me thinking about fried Spam, Kim Chi and rice wrapped in Nori and it isn't time for breakfast. ;) Better yet, some Be Bim Bop

·
Old Squid on a Blade
9,388 Posts
Crap Mao...import some Asians, Indians, West Indies, crap even some Italians Borrington needs some ethnic cuisine....I'm tired of driving to Schaumburg just to eat.
Franchesca's opened behind Starbucks. I'll meet you there for dinner at the drop of a hat.

·
CRF50 Squid
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No I meant to use it just like the bamboo. Suspend it over the water. I just thought it would be easier to clean. I know what you mean about using bamboo. It adds it's own flavor. I have stackable bamboo steamers I put on my Wok to do the veggies and dumplings although I do get lazy and use the steamer portion of the rice cooker if I'm not making rice.
Aah OK. Never tried the metal strainer thingy. I like the aroma the bamboo leaves behind.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts