Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Saturday I went and picked up an ignition amplification kit form Direct hits. I took it home and dug into the bike. Unfortunately, I could not figure out a way to install it without some major fabrication and time on my part. I called back the shop where I got them and they were going to see if they had anything that would make it work.

The problem was that the R1's spark plug boot is about 5" long and a 5/8's spark plug socket fits snugly into the bore going down to the top of the combustion chamber where the plug skrews in. The kit came with wires that were 2-2.5" long and the amplifier which goes onto the plug adds another inch but its still is difficult to get the wire onto the top of the amplifier when all is said and down. Furthermore, there is no way to seal the bore from water because the old boot included a rubber plug for the bore which could not be romoved and put on the new wires.

After talking to the shop they suggested getting a tool that the import car guys use to get wires on plugs inside of deep bores. That still doesn't solve my problem of sealing the bore. I guess I could make something but they also told me that the kit is under development and will soon be simply a spark plug replacement. The amplifier will be built right into the plug and then I could use my stock wires and everything will fit just like it did from the factory. So I think I'm going to take the kit back and wait till they come out with the new version. Till then I went up to Willy World and paid waaaaaaaay too much for a set of plugs:D :laughing . At least the bike was only down for a day.:rolleyes :D

Darn....I should have took pictures and did a how to on spark plug installation.:mad

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ricerocket said:
Save your money on the ign. amps., Crazy. Ever hear of "snake oil"? Similar stuff
I'm not sure about that. I had them on my gixxer and had to add three jet sizes to accomodate equating in more power.:D :D

·
(no comment)
353 Posts
Did you verify that on a dyno before and after?

3 jet sizes is a lot. When you add a full system to an R1 you jump from a 130 mikuni jet to a 132.5 and a full system will give you 10hp with no jetting. Sometimes full systems can be used with no jet size changes.

Some guys have used ignition advancers in an attempt to lean out their jetting by getting a longer burn. Maybe this is similar to the effect you got.

Was your bike knocking or surging after installing them? You may have been getting detonation form the hotter spark, or getting a much more efficient burn and leaning out the cylinder. The extra fuel would have helped cool the cylinder or made the ratio better.

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
ricerocket said:
Did you verify that on a dyno before and after?

3 jet sizes is a lot. When you add a full system to an R1 you jump from a 130 mikuni jet to a 132.5 and a full system will give you 10hp with no jetting. Sometimes full systems can be used with no jet size changes.

Some guys have used ignition advancers in an attempt to lean out their jetting by getting a longer burn. Maybe this is similar to the effect you got.

Good point,

Just because you had dump more fuel meaning that there was more air getting in, doesn't nessesaruly mean that you'll make more power... might just end up using more fuel.

I wouldn;t think that you would need to change you mixture becasue you have a hotter or bigger spark. it wold cause the fuel to ignite sooner and burn a little faster, but that houldnt; cause a need for more fuel because you haven;t effected the airflow, unless the spork needed ot eb retarded becuase it wasn't completely mixed of started to burn before the intake valve was completely shut and/or the psiton was at TDC. making it richer woudl have slowed the burn, but you were correcting the wrong problem.

I might be completely wrong here but it makes sense to me. IF you could stick your head in the combustion cahmber, engines woudl be really easy to tune. Sometiems it's like tryign to diagnose a brain injusry without a CAT scan.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cherrypicker said:

unless the spork needed ot eb retarded becuase it wasn't completely mixed of started to burn before the intake valve was completely shut and/or the psiton was at TDC. making it richer woudl have slowed the burn, but you were correcting the wrong problem.

FYI: I also had a Dyna 2000 ignition pack that needed to be retarded after the Direct Hits were installed. I had my set up imaging Dick Speed's championship superstreet bike. He showed a six more horses on the dyno after his was set up the way mine was:D ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts