Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Ridiculously Good Looking
32,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Still rocking but going on (8) years old and getting slow when it comes to vid play - LOVE the new one coming out this month http://www.apple.com/imac/

But, for what little is use the desk top anymore with the iPad, not sure I want to go and drop $1300 that I don't have

Question, if I move all my shit off the iMac and on to detachable storage, will that help with speeds? - Mind you, my iMac was bought in 2005 and all I have had to do was replace a fan, once - Love that I got (7) years out of it but need it to faster - Will detachable storage help?

·
Wisconsin FIB
2,232 Posts
Yeah that ^^^^

If its not already maxed out on ram, you could upgrade that. 7 years is a long time for a computer, it's way behind on processing power compared to today's machines.

I'm looking at the same issue, but I have a windows XP computer, custom built. It was top of the heap back then, but again, 7 years old. I've already done ram, raid drives, fresh install as of a year ago....... it just can't keep up.......even surfing the Internet it has issues.

So what to do. The iPad just doesn't cut it for everything. I don't need a laptop (iPad does fine for portability, plus I have a work laptop). So I'm looking at getting an iMac when the new one ships in December. Coupled with a synology NAS, it will be my media server the the AppleTV, and work nice with the iPad and phone.

I think this is the last Desktop I will buy, after another 7 years, I would expect that the tablet computers will be powerful enough to rival a desktop of today and dock with a monitor / keyboard combination. We already see some of that today.

·
Administrator
1,725 Posts
2005? So you're still rocking Power PC with the crumb catcher keyboard. It also means you're stuck at 10.5.8 with iTunes stuck at 10.6.3. You could always go with a Mac mini at half the price and still get 10x the computer you have now.

Otherwise, do as stated above, backup/clone then douche your box ;)

·
32,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will prob just wait for the new one to come out - From 2006 to 2013 with virtually no issues........$$ well spent

·
Administrator
1,725 Posts
I will prob just wait for the new one to come out - From 2006 to 2013 with virtually no issues........$$ well spent
We still have our 2003 G5 tower that we use for a media server. It was our main home work horse for over 7 years

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
32,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A MacBook air will substitute both devices.
Nah - Something to be said for the 27 inch monitor of the iMac - My 20 inch is the TV in the bedroom

·
32,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Buy a monitor ffs :jester
Why go thru all that? - That Retina display on the 27 inch is pretty fucking sweet - Screw the daisy chain, add this to make this then add this shit - iMac out of the box, plugged in and Wifi Connected in under (5) mins and working perfectly

·
32,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you could always pick something up off craigslist thats say....5 years newer for much less.

Those new iMacs look awesome though. I rarely touch my iMac after buying a macbook air.
Yeah, I have my iPad for couch surfing but like the desk top that sits next to the work laptop in the home office so I can work on the Company Machine a screw around on the iMac - Also use it for movies in bed - Toyed with the lap top idea but really already get 99% of what I need for that from the iPad - Going to get more into editing off the GoPro too next season so I am going to spurge on some editing SW too

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
What size screen do you have Bug? If its adequate cant you just use it as a monitor and do the mac mini suggestion? You already have the keyboard, mouse/magic track right?

Im eyeing the new imac as well. Not sure if I want a desktop though as mine never gets used though the large screen macbooks are twice the price.

·
32,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What OS ate you running. For the First time ever I'm noticing a little lag with snow tiger.
Fuck if I know: OSX 10 - 10.6.8 to be exact

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz

·
32,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What size screen do you have Bug? If its adequate cant you just use it as a monitor and do the mac mini suggestion? You already have the keyboard, mouse/magic track right?

Im eyeing the new imac as well. Not sure if I want a desktop though as mine never gets used though the large screen macbooks are twice the price.
I have a 20 inch for the home office and yes, I have the BT Keyboard and Pad - I just love the ease of the iMac and have also looked at the Mac Book but the extra $1K is eluding me right now

Hey Shitbird, I'll prob be in your office this week.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.