Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Cuddlie as a koala
7,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 42 yrs of racing, he announced it at the banquet sat night. Sad to see such a great guy go.

We'll miss ya out there Ed. :cheers:

·
You got the talkin' done
15,710 Posts
I like this one the best.

It’s funny to think about the diverse riding style of these three – Key was what I’d call old school road racing style. He didn’t lean off the bike much in the turns, but man did he lean his motorcycle. Kling had the contemporary style where he leaned off the machine a bit and with his long legs, effortlessly used his knees as an outrigger in the turns. Knapp was a flat tracker, who had that style where he largely sat up through the turns and pushed the bike down, similar in style today to Larry Pegram. Three different styles that all resulted in amazing lap times around the technical and picturesque Grattan.

5,620 Posts
^^ I just did some very much needed maintenance to one of his motors.

·
I don't know...
5,208 Posts
I talked to Barb at the BHF Round... She said he was home working in the garden....
I dont see him anywhere close to Motorcycles for the next few years... He didn't wanted to retire, his health was the problem.
Maybe in 2 or 3 years he might come back to be some kind of function....
Since I pitted next to him the last year or so, he came by a few times and talked about stuff. He is a great guy...

·
Registered
1 Posts
After 42 yrs of racing, he announced it at the banquet sat night. Sad to see such a great guy go.

We'll miss ya out there Ed. :cheers:
We lost a good one today. Ed Key was taken off life support today with his wife Barb and son Kevin at his side. Ed has been in failing health recently. He raced for 42 years, retiring at the top of his game, nearly as fast as he ever was. One of the smoothest fast riders ever. I believe he took over 100 National titles with WERA and CCS.

What a great guy!

God speed racer!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts