Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just installed my steel braided brake lines this past saturday. man it was fun. i know it sounds lame but i like figuring out my bike instead of just having a dealership put them on. seems more fullfilling and more proud when i do it my self. well gonna do the rear this saturday. just wanted to tell you all. peace

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
no your not michael...your not because you havent dove into it yet 1 screw at a time and take the time to figure it out. if it floats your boat to try...just go buy the service manual..and take it slow....even get a roll of tape and # stuff where it went..or lay it out in order of assembly

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
I use plastic baggies masking tape and a marker to keep track of everything. It's easy to work on it yourself. I wish I had the time.:rolleyes

·
Special Agent Lance Boyle
6,704 Posts
no your not michael...your not because you havent dove into it yet 1 screw at a time and take the time to figure it out. if it floats your boat to try...just go buy the service manual..and take it slow....even get a roll of tape and # stuff where it went..or lay it out in order of assembly
That's a good idea, I just use Baker's Square pans

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
I use plastic baggies masking tape and a marker to keep track of everything
Thats exactly what I did when I removed all the non-race crap from the F4i.

Ziploc bags with tape and a marker. I was eyeing those freezer bags with the white built in background.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah michael the service manual is a big help. that what i did. after the lines im probably or definatley do the exhaust and maybe the jet kit. seems fun.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Michael said:

I _might_ want to do the brake lines and exhaust .. but jet .. no way .. i don't even know what a carb looks like :rolleyes
Jets are really easy. Just screw the old ones out and the new ones in.;) Drill a small hole in the slide and your done.;)

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Michael said:

oh yeah :rolleyes really easy! :D

maybe i should clarify this .. the thought of taking all the plastics off my bike scares me due to fear of not being able to figure out how to get them back on.
OK OK so I've put in a few jet kits and changed the jets in my gixxer about 100 times for different reasons. Still I remember the first time. A jet kit will take yo an hour or less to install. The hardest part is getting the carbs out.;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
micheal do you have a service manual? if so they show everything in detail where everything goes. so you wont have a problem with taking off the fairings and putting them back on.
hey crazy is jetting hard? and how long does it take?

·
Tgf Og
9,851 Posts
michael im no mechanic either and usually get pete to help me(slowly trying to ween of his help, sorry pete!;) ) so i decided to tackle the clutch cable by myself. I carefully disassembled what needed to be tore down making mental notes to how it was and then put the new one on. dam felt like a proud parent when i got it back together and it worked good.

·
Lovin this Twin
1,980 Posts
Just rip into it!

Hey a few extra screws or nuts N bolts left over never hurt to much, Its actually fun tryiin to figure out how to put it back together.
I agree Michael.... leave the carbs alone if ya dont have a clue, cuz its 375 minimum to get em back to normal.

I thought you were JOE mechanic Jimbo? your very misleading when consuming beverages:cheers

·
Tgf Og
9,851 Posts
Re: Just rip into it!

HooliganZX10 said:
I thought you were JOE mechanic Jimbo? your very misleading when consuming beverages:cheers
i have no idea what you are talking about, i didnt say i dont know alot about bikes, i dont however work on them much,yet anyhow!:p

G

·
Try taking everything off for painting and then having to remember how and where every screw went 6 months later :rolleyes Now that was alotta fun.

"Hmmmmz Now Where did those EXTRA screws go :confused ??"

:rofl :rofl

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
CHeYeNNe929RR said:
Try taking everything off for painting and then having to remember how and where every screw went 6 months later :rolleyes Now that was alotta fun.

"Hmmmmz Now Where did those EXTRA screws go :confused ??"

:rofl :rofl
Been there done that. And I'll do you 1 better. I had 2 bikes in my garage all winter appart while installing new skinz and getting them painted. Top that off it was a Kawi and a Honda so I had parts everywhere. O did I mention a certain nosey 2 year old who just wanted to help Daddy.:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts