Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Just failed my liscense test

2K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  MeggysGixxer 
#1 ·
Well I woke up early today to go stand in line for 4 hours at the DMV, take the written test, no problem there but then came the driving test... I guess I haven't had enough practice wobbling around a parking lot at 10 mph, put my foot down and missed one cone on the weaving between the cones part and put my foot down on the u-turn, that was it got too many points off. Here's the part that really pissed me off: While I was waiting by the test course to take my test there was some guy on a full dress Harley that was screwing up left and right. He only went around 2 of the cones and put his foot down when going around both of them, locked up his rear brake numerous times, and every time he took off from a stop he would almost kill the bike. He passed! So I'm figuring it's going to be no problem, but when it's my turn to go they switched instructors. Now I gotta go back there when they're closed to practice so I can go back and waste next Saturday morning too. :mad

-Ryan

#3 ·
Sorry to hear that, bro. That test really is killer on a sportbike. I took it pretty recently and I know what you mean. I think it's probably better to just go a bit outside the lines instead of putting your foot down though.

#4 ·
Ryan,
hook up with Ken the stuff he teaches will pass you for sure. It wasn't the DMV in Midlothian you went to was it? I don't think anyone passes there.

#5 ·
Michael, thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one that sucks at low speed stuff :D . Ken, whenever's good for you it would be great if we could hook up, I'm sure all I need is a few pointers, the only problem is I need to get my liscese within the next 2 weeks otherwise my insurance will get cancelled. Brian, yes it was the DMV in Midlothian. I know one other member from here failed at that one, I know I didn't deserve to pass but the thing that pissed me off was that Harley guy REALLY didn't deserve to pass but he did. I understand that it's gotta be really hard to do all the weaving stuff on a full dresser but he couldn't even control the clutch right without making the bike sputter and almost die, that's the stuff they should be looking at more than if you can weave a bike around at low speeds. I'm signed up for the MSF but not until August or September and I've been riding around for over a year now with no liscense, I'm about due for my luck to run out. Oh well, at least now I know what's involved in the test and I get 2 more tries so I'll get some practice and hopefully attend The Odysseys School of Low Speed Motorcycling and pass it next time. :twofinger

-Ryan

#6 ·
actually Ryan,

IMO a full dresser harley is much more manuverable at low speed. The Midlothian DMV doesn't pass many sportbikes. When I got my license I failed over there on my first try. I did everything perfect except for missing one cone. My dad was with me and couldn't believe the guy failed me for missing one cone. I thought he was going to beat the guy down. I did the same thing when I took the test in Bridgeview and they passed me with flying colors;) although I wish Ken was around then. If I had him teach me what he did early in the year I would of been able to do everything at the license test.:thumbsup

#9 ·
2 points to make, obvious, and one suggestion.
1) if you have been riding for a year, and did not spend any time on practicing slow speed manouvers, you deserve to fail. You knew going in what the test consisted of!
2) beg, borrow or steal a small standard bike for the test. The wider bars, erect seating position, and central pegs make slow sped a cinch!

#11 ·
Actually I'm really good at low speed stuff. Passed on the first try after only riding a motorcyle for 3 days.:twofinger

Get a bicycle and work on your balance and how to use forward thrust (pedals or engine) along wiht steering inputs to balance the bike at low speeds. At low speeds bicycles and motorcycles are very similar.

Yamaha clutches don't have that great of feel either, which makes low speed stuff tricky.

You could also try practicing lowspeed manuvers wiht you girl on the back. If you can do get used to doing a U-turn with the extra weight, it will be easy solo.

#12 ·
Are these test courses standard across the state? I have been told that one guy got off his bike, turned the bars all the way and pushed the bike. It still couldn't make the u-turn. Just too sharp !!! I'm going down to my DMV this week and see if my ZX-12 will make the turn. If it's impossible, that's B.S.

#13 ·
12RPilot said:
Are these test courses standard across the state? I have been told that one guy got off his bike, turned the bars all the way and pushed the bike. It still couldn't make the u-turn. Just too sharp !!! I'm going down to my DMV this week and see if my ZX-12 will make the turn. If it's impossible, that's B.S.
Yep as far as I know they're all the same. If you're going down there and want to see exactly what you're supposed to do the motorcycle rules of the road book is available for download at http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/dsdx140.pdf . The pictures and instructions for the driving test are all the way at the end. They do allow you to screw up a certain number of times. Tripod, yes I did deserve to fail, I didn't do what I had to do to pass the test, in fact I stated that I didn't deserve to pass earlier in this thread. I got cocky and figured "ha, swerve around some cones, I can do that" and it was harder than I thought.

-Ryan

#14 ·
Odysseys said:
hook up with me one of these days , ill get you into parking lot stand still's, pure balance;)
I'll take you up on that if you will....low speed straight ballence I'm fine, It's U-turns I have trouble with......I usually just hold the rev's up a bit to pick up the centrifical force, and let the clutch slip a bit when doing U-turns

#15 ·
hey fizzer.......the key to passing is use a small bike....the DMV don't care what you use as long as its over 50cc!!!!!!!!

i got a 84 yamaha180 scooter that you should be able to pass with your eyes closed!!!!!!!!!

i took the MSF course to at SIU in 94 and bypassed all that useless slow speed 2 mph crap.........

#16 ·
SFD18 said:
hey fizzer.......the key to passing is use a small bike....the DMV don't care what you use as long as its over 50cc!!!!!!!!

You need a 150cc, or larger bike to take the "M" class test..

Class L is any motor driven cycle with less than 150 cc displacement
Class M is any motorcycle with 150 cc or greater displacement
Testing

:twofinger

#17 ·
97fizzer600, dont feel too bad, it takes a sharp rider with significant skills to do some of these manuvers on a sport bike.
You have to remember, a sport bike's geometry is to provide stability on relatively high speed turns. I have a tough time backing my Buell into the garage relative to my old Sportster. Sport bikes basically don't have enought rake at full turn to allow sharp turns, sport bikes depend mostly on lean angles where standard bikes have more rake and allows the bike to turn sharply with he bars being turned.
I tested many years ago on a KZ900. It was pretty easy, but then you could stand on the pegs and do a u turn easily on a small 2 lane street, without having to lean very far.
I don't understand trying to pass the test on a large Harely with a springer front end and forward contrills. Great posing bike, but you cant get the weight distribution where you need it for tight corners. Pretty much the same with a sports bike, but for opposite reasons.
Probably the ideal bike for a test is a 350cc dirt bike, easy to balance and turn at low speeds, or maybe a Buell Blast.
Frankly, you need the skills anyway, you just shouldnt make it tougher to passt the test.
A kid going for his car license would be better off going in a small Honda rather than his Dad's Vette. Even ifhe drove them both with the same ability, he would have a better chance of passing in the Honda. Some testers are always trying to make a point.
Good luck on the next round, but see if there is an easier bike to take it on.

#18 ·
Y2KR1 said:

You need a 150cc, or larger bike to take the "M" class test..

Class L is any motor driven cycle with less than 150 cc displacement
Class M is any motorcycle with 150 cc or greater displacement
Testing

:twofinger
I guess I was typing too fast and skipped right over the 1!!!!!!!! but that's what I ment thanx for correcting it.........hope noone tryied to show up on a riva 50!!!!!!!!

#22 ·
Ryan:

I failed the first time too.. on a 500 cc Virago. BUT. I tresspassed at the local DMV for 3 consecutive nights practicing on the cycle course. Took it again, and passed. ON MY BIKE. The FZR is a relatively small bike.. u should just practice on it and do it. I took it the second time and did it ALL and just missed one cone.

Another suggestion: Take the test in the city. Its easier. I took it in Lombard the first time,and on 99th and King Drive the second. BIG difference. (Don't get bike jacked!!)

On the real, 99th and King was easier. I think its so much stuff going on that they dont have time to really scrutinize.

Practice Makes perfect.

Let me know when u wanna ride!!!

:cheers

#23 ·
Crash and burn

Those tests are joke! When I took mine it was in a small town DMV on the other end of the state. It was on my first bike a '92 CBR F2. I didn't know that the tire was low in air so needless to say the us turn was a bitch. For some reason though the lady passed me even though I put my foot down. I taught my friend how to ride, as he did the u-turn he laid down his bike. Got pissed off and sold his bike the next week. Crazy shit huh?

I have to agree with everyone else. Either take it on a smaller bike or just practice. It is harder on a sport bike but not impossible! GOOD LUCK BRO!:jester

#24 ·
Sounds like

we both failed the same way! :cheers
My guy told me to come and practice anytime and I have been over a couple times since. I suggest that if you went through a helmet on take it off, I also found that if you "coast" through the cones using the brakes slightly it may help. I was able to go through several times with no faults. I'll being going back t practice more this week.

l8tr -- SS

#25 ·
You could try taking one of the rider courses offered at many of the junior colleges. You pass the course, you get a slip of paper that will allow you to get your license at the DMV without messing with their riding test. They may even teach you something helpful in the process.

I took my test at the Chicago Heights DMV facility years ago. I thought I would have failed, as I would have failed myself if I was giving the grade, but the nice lady passed me. The best thing to do before a DMV test is to practice the course as much as possible when they are closed.

#26 ·
I strongly recommend the rider school for anyone who rides!!! Whether you have your license or not. Those schools teach you a lot of things that even an experienced rider can benefit from. A friend of mine teaches one of the coarses at WIU. He runs Iron Ass races for Yamaha.

The biggest problem with the class is that it is almost impossible to get into one around the Chicagoland area. My brother was going to take the class this summer and found out you have to book at least 6 mo in advance. You can go to one of the centers and hope that there is a no-show. They will let you in then but it is very unlikely. Your other option is to go to a less civilized part of the state. U of I has some openings usually, Southern does also. You have to figure out the best for you.

They really should have more classes but the state doesn't have enough funding or something. The good thing is that the class doesn't cost anything. ($10 donation and you get a t-shirt or someting like that.

Hope that helps at all!!

holy shit..........this was my longes reply yet........I got to find something else to do!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.