Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
To Punish and Enslave
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I wrong for being pissed about this? A friend of mine... (well not even really a friend) is mad because she doesn't have enough money for food for her and her 6 kids. She gets 700.00 a month from welfare for food. Thats 100 a person for a month!! Who in the hell spends that kind of money on food?? PLUS she has a section 8 house paid for (buy us tax payers). She told me once that she getting free glasses, I told her they are not free my wife and I paid for them.
Her now ex husband is as useless and tits on a bull also. :soap

I understand everyone needs a helping hand at times, and I don't mind helping a person out, but come on GET A JOB already!!!

:rant

·
Registered
11,444 Posts
heh... subjects been beat to a bloody pulp and nothing ever gets done about it. we pay taxes on taxed money then again if we gain anything out of it to pay for this kind of stuff. i hear ya Jimbo, just know the vast majority (if not all of us) feel the same way as you. GET A DAMN JOB LIKE THE REST OF US DAMMIT!

·
Former Chicagoian
864 Posts
700 / 7 / 30 = $3.33 a day for food...that takes some careful planning and a little skill.

I know someone who had a bad string of luck (really really really bad), ended up on welfare for about 6 months, got back on her feet and is now a very successful person with a master's degree who contributes to society, pays her taxes, and donates all her spare cash......she's a great hard working lady.

But yeah, people take advantage of the system for sure...I think the story you described is the norm and the one I described is the exception....I think.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
6 kids!!!!!! I never got why people who are broke have so many kids. To have a child you should have a full psych exam and have your last 3 yrs tax returns examined to prove you can afford to provide for your child.
Every person I know who has kids has saw their fortune shrink. Not to this woman point but kids are expensive.
FYI, 100 per kid probably doesn't cover everything, shit for kids is expensive. Especially when they are small. Formula mix is like 30.00 they lock that shit up like gold at some stores.

Under200

·
Old Squid on a Blade
9,388 Posts
As much as I'd like to disagree with you just for the fun of doing so, no you are not wrong.

Now what is the solution...?

·
Wild slide rule roots
1,735 Posts
Am I wrong for being pissed about this? (. . .)
Yes, if you don't know all the circumstances and presume that she's taking unfair advantage of the system simply because she's taking welfare benefits.

But, it sounds like you know her well enough, and know enough of the circumstances, to make a fair judgment on this, so I'll say you're not wrong.

·
Irony helps us play!
29,500 Posts
How old are the kids and what does she do with them while looking for work or even if she finds a job, while working?

Yes, there are people who have patterns of bad behavior that they can not break (for whatever reason or fault) and it seems like they will be perpetually stuck there. Hopefully, the kids are getting enough to eat and can at least be getting a half assed or better education and can one day hopefully break that cycle. (Most don't, but some luckily, can).

Just think how much more it would cost if all 6 kids went into the foster care system instead of just paying welfare. That would cost at least 300K annually to the tax payer. Think of it as getting a bargain right now and let the stress go.

·
Registered
14,283 Posts
I spend about $100 a week for food.

I iwll not comment because we all fall on hard times but 6 kids. You need to know when to say when.

·
Fear is the mind killer
8,770 Posts
Her first mistake was having that many kids and not being very well off. Now what do we do with her. She is correct, 700/month doesn't do much for you with six kids. Also, what about her other expenses, for examply utilities. She is completely screwed now. At this point we can't even say get a job. Getting a job in her case requires money. She will need money for transportation. In case no one noticed, the CTA said they will have to raise rates, so we are looking at a bare minimum of $70/month. Who is going to watch her six kids while she is at work. Day care is insane today, decent day care cost a couple of hundo a week, so she will need the government to do that for her as well. It is just a terrible situation, and she is at a point that even if she wanted to it, she could not do it without giving up some of her kids, or have lots of family support.

·
Banned
5,923 Posts
I spend $300-$400/wk on food/drink for me.

Dont get mad, what type of situation would she need to get into to get herself self reliant again?? My guess, is she would need to do more than what she is able to do. Child care while she is working could be $400/week...

·
Fear is the mind killer
8,770 Posts
She could start by making every one of the fathers of her six kids pay child support. Chances are they are dead beats as well. I see nothing positive in the future for her and those six kids.

·
To Punish and Enslave
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, if you don't know all the circumstances and presume that she's taking unfair advantage of the system simply because she's taking welfare benefits.

But, it sounds like you know her well enough, and know enough of the circumstances, to make a fair judgment on this, so I'll say you're not wrong.
Her and her now ex hubby been on they system for 8 yrs. He is bi-polar and refuse to take his meds so he can work, spends all his money on beer. My wife has rumatory arthritis in every joint in her body, is in pain all day long and has 2 fake knees because of this and she works harder than people who are 100 times more healthier than her.
I know her for 12 yrs and always expected everything to be given to her. She spends money on tattoos, tongue pricing, and has a cell phone with everything (including internet). They spent more energy yelling at pubic aid then anything else.
Hell, when i got my ex pregnant I took care of everything and we made it, but it was hard. We spend less than 300 a month on food.

700 / 7 / 30 = $3.33 doesn't seem much, but when you shop and don't eat out it can go a long way. I just made a dish that has chicken, noodles and other stuff that probably cost me 7 bucks to make, and I'll have left overs for 2-3 nights. And the rest of the chicken is frozen and I'll use it for something else.

·
To Punish and Enslave
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Her first mistake was having that many kids and not being very well off. Now what do we do with her. She is correct, 700/month doesn't do much for you with six kids. Also, what about her other expenses, for examply utilities. She is completely screwed now. At this point we can't even say get a job. Getting a job in her case requires money. She will need money for transportation. In case no one noticed, the CTA said they will have to raise rates, so we are looking at a bare minimum of $70/month. Who is going to watch her six kids while she is at work. Day care is insane today, decent day care cost a couple of hundo a week, so she will need the government to do that for her as well. It is just a terrible situation, and she is at a point that even if she wanted to it, she could not do it without giving up some of her kids, or have lots of family support.
Her mom has offered many times to watch the kids (shes retired) and the 700.00 is just for food, she gets other money to pay the utilities.

·
To Punish and Enslave
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does she need a tutor on how to suck cock?
:lmao:

In all if the 700 was for everything, yes that would be hard. The 700 goes on the Link card for shopping.

·
Irony helps us play!
29,500 Posts
The fact is that yes, it appears they are abusing the system for a purpose it was never intended. There are bad apples out there. That doesn't mean the system doesn't work for those that really do need it for the intended purpose, to be a safety net so they can get back on their feet. I see shit like they are pulling as the cost of doing business to help those that are actually worth helping. The ones abusing the system perpetually will never amount to shit in life because they have no moral fiber. They can buy all the blingy shit in the world but they are still as worthless as a used trashbag.

Not the kindest way to put it, but that's my perspective on it.

·
Former Chicagoian
864 Posts
hopefully her 6 kids don't have 6 kids each.....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts