Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow is this soooo much nicer than my old copy of ME that I was running. So from all you experts is there anything I need to know About XP to keep it running Tip top?

·
Grammaton Cleric
1,842 Posts
GsxrTony said:
Wow is this soooo much nicer than my old copy of ME that I was running. So from all you experts is there anything I need to know About XP to keep it running Tip top?
First thing I do on a XP install is turn the UI back to the classic GUI. XP's is to bright and cheerful.

Also, there are a LOT of security fixes...Download the updates.

Lastly, you should install Norton Security to protect against viruses and attacks on your PC. I have been using the 2003 version and I'm pretty happy with it.

BTY, welcome to the world of XP...it is by FAR the best and most reliable OS that Microsoft has produced.

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. although I am getting used to the new look a bit. Something different I guess.

Norton has always served me well int he past I think I'll go with it again.

·
Registered
899 Posts
GsxrTony said:
Advice from a true computer geek (what did you THINK I got my degree in? :))

Go to microsoft's website and hit up the downloads section. download all the Powertoys for Windows XP.

Keep the cheery desktop on. Don't let these dissenters sway you... :)

I'll think of more...

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I would recommend that you not routinely run with administrator privileges. Instead, create a user account with power user status and use administator only for software installation/removal, or for games that require it for access to the hardware.

This will further reduce your chances of being infected by a virus or inadvertantly corrupting or deleting a system file.

·
Registered
899 Posts
PS I hate norton :)... just be smart and you won't get a virus. Use the built-in firewall if you need to.

·
Grammaton Cleric
1,842 Posts
Stydie750SS said:
PS I hate norton :)... just be smart and you won't get a virus. Use the built-in firewall if you need to.
...Hated Norton, too. Use to be a McAfee man both in the enterprise and PC enviroment. But, after trying out Internet Security 2003, I must say that it is pretty slick...It has already saved my ass quite a few times.

·
Registered
899 Posts
MrBusa said:

...Hated Norton, too. Use to be a McAfee man both in the enterprise and PC enviroment. But, after trying out Internet Security 2003, I must say that it is pretty slick...It has already saved my ass quite a few times.
Really!! See I haven't cared about that shit in years... I'll have to give it a look...

Norton just always seemed to be a resource hog.

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
ditto that on not liking Norton. NEVER had a case where I installed Norton and my system ever running the same. always seemd to screw with something. just my experience.

·
I do it in the dirt!
607 Posts
I have NEVER had good luck with Norton's... Antivirus, System Security, Utilities....

If you are seriously wanting a secure system, hook up a router with built-in hardware firewall (that is if you have a broadband connection .. DSL, Cable, Satellite, etc..)
If not, I have been using and highly recommend Network Ice's Blackice System Security
www.netice.com
Yes, I actually purchased it! worth every penny!!

·
Banned
43 Posts
X-SLaYeR said:
If not, I have been using and highly recommend Network Ice's Blackice System Security
i used that a couple of years ago and updated it religiously .. right up till the day it let my pc get hacked. never again.

hardware firewall for me. norton for all my other utils. i've had no problems with it being a resource pig.

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
X-SLaYeR said:
If you are seriously wanting a secure system, hook up a router with built-in hardware firewall (that is if you have a broadband connection .. DSL, Cable, Satellite, etc..)
Yup, been using that for quite a while now. I'm running three computers in here.

I am running Norton since I had a free copy of it.

So far it seems to be running pretty good.

Dave, I've already set it up that way.

·
Cuddlie as a koala
7,520 Posts
SCrew Norton. After that one virus came out in late 2000, they wouldnt let me update because I wouldnt buy a new version of Norton. That and it bogged my system down BIG TIME. When I uninstalled Norton resources went up to 95%. Norton installed was 68-70%.

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey is there a way to make this thing switch between user faster. Seems like it almost reboots itself every time.

·
Banned
43 Posts
GsxrTony said:
Hey is there a way to make this thing switch between user faster. Seems like it almost reboots itself every time.
yes, you have to turn fast user switching on or something like that .. i can't remember where it is off hand, but it's pretty nice .. it logs you out and leaves all your programs running, but let's somebody log in and do their thing .. then you go back just like you never left :D

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Another thing you can do is cut down on things in the startup folder that most people don't even use (i.e. office taskbar, office fast find, etc.) These things use of gobs of memory if you're not careful.

I am the only user on my machine so I just stay logged in and let the screen saver kick in with the password protection turned on.

I haven't found Norton to be that bad of a resource hog on 2KP or XP, but with the auto-protect turned on it does scan all DLLs before allowing them to execute. Trust me, the first time you have to fully restore your machine you will have wished you had auto-protect turned on.

·
Man with Big Hose
1,432 Posts
Vcook said:
1. format
2. install win2k pro
:D
yep........running 2000 pro here. I got a copy if anyone wants it...with product key.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts