Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Old Squid on a Blade
9,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've got the hankering to pick up another useless blade. Go figure... :rolleyes

I've done some reading and research. I don't want to spend a lot of $, but I don't want total junk either. I do want a sharp live blade. It is going to live in my office displayed either behind my desk or on the top of my fish tank. Are there any significant differences between folded blades Damascus style blades. Are any of the lower end (Paul Chen is not in the budget) makers better? The biggest single issue I've been focusing on has been to make sure I get 10 folded 1020 and 1040 steel. There are about 5-6 main wholesalers on ebay with 98+% feedback that I'm rolling through. There are lots of options in the $125-250 range.

So are any of you up on functional Katanas and who to buy from?

thx,

Bruce

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
all the swords i own are "shop at home stuff" 120.00 katana.

the real deal is a few grand. my advise is buy the show crap
OR get the real deal.

there is no middle ground its still a cheap ass POS or THE REAL DEAL.

·
Cuddlie as a koala
7,520 Posts
Well if its for display only, why worry if its "live"? If you are displaying it behind the fish tank, make sure its stainless steel or kept oiled.

I have one "shop at home" special that I rounded the edge down for tournament/testing/training use that was around $100. Has plastic handle and half tang. No way in hell is that thing even sharp, battle usable.

Other one is $1100 (back when I bought it in 94, costs ALOT more now) full tang ivory handled monster that can cut through just about anything short of bricks. Lots of upkeep on it keeping it oiled to prevent rust.

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
bruce if you want RAZOR sharp swords, let me know i dont mind selling what i have, infact i have kinda lost the interest in them. i have some kick ass katanas.

one of which has drawn my own blood, which adds 2 dollars to the cost of this sword..lmao.

·
I'm always learning......
5,778 Posts
There used to be a place on 147th in Midlothian. I have a cerimonial long Katana that is probably from some time in the early 20th century. It was probably for some naval officer since the engravings are ocean oriented.

Make me an offer.:)

·
Old Squid on a Blade
9,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it is real, it is worth thousands. Maybe tens of k. Otherwise the market is flooded with Chinese forgery's not worth too much. I'm not spending thousands.

·
Fornello Del Testicolo
410 Posts
Paul Chen Hanwei Practical or Practical Plus aren't too expensive.

·
Old Squid on a Blade
9,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Paul Chen and not expensive? I don't think I've seen a Paul Chen for less than $800. Practical isn't too bad. I'm looking at a Razor Sharp right now.

·
Armed law abiding citizen
19,052 Posts
There used to be a place on 147th in Midlothian. I have a cerimonial long Katana that is probably from some time in the early 20th century. It was probably for some naval officer since the engravings are ocean oriented.

Make me an offer.:)
I think you are talking about flying tigers. It is still there.

·
Old Squid on a Blade
9,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D
11,172 Posts
I started learning about this, learned that if its sharp. its not made in japan and = chinese.

The japanese outlawed it but to keep their heritage alive they allow dull bladed katanas to continue to be made by registered sword makers.

when I have disposable income I will be purchasing one as well. the wife will not be pleased.

·
Cuddlie as a koala
7,520 Posts
I started learning about this, learned that if its sharp. its not made in japan and = chinese.

The japanese outlawed it but to keep their heritage alive they allow dull bladed katanas to continue to be made by registered sword makers.

Doesnt mean much since alot of people sharpen them themselves.;)

·
CRF50 Squid
9,583 Posts

when I have disposable income I will be purchasing one as well. the wife will not be pleased.
I saw a special on PBS and the Japanese are still making authentic sharpened Katanas. It takes 6+ months to make and go for bukoo dollars.

·
Old Squid on a Blade
9,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thx, I've been going back and forth over this. Do you know how many ways these blades can be constructed/folded? There are something like 5 main "systems". Of course, they get progressively more expensive. I'm so confused... Not really, but I don't want to overspend or buy junk. It looks like I'll end up spending around $175-250 delivered for a good mid level blade. Yes, almost all of the affordable blades are coming from China. Japan just can't compete on the labor costs on what is a slow manual process. And that is the problem in my eyes. Quality control isn't too hot over there. I'll keep you posted and post up some pictures after the purchase.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts