Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what it is lately but my luck is bound to run out one of these times. Last weekend the snakes tried to bite me when I was way leaned over on an exit ramp and this morning!!!!!!! I was going south on Waukegan road in Glenview when someone decides they need to turn left right in front of me crossing two lanes of traffic. Well I bound up the front brake into a decent stoppie saw it wouldn't be goo enough, release the brakes and cut right hard. The driver then saw me and slammed on the brakes. I straigtened it out enough to stay on the road and brushed by the drivers front bumper while glaring so much I thought it would be permanent. I have been checking the mirror and my underwear constantly since then. All is well that ends well but I wish I had been better prepared. The GSXR1K takes a lot longer to stop than my ninja did even thoughh the weight difference is only a couple of pounds. Maybe it is time to upgrade the brakes.

·
Wannabe racer
2,360 Posts
Glad you survived, actually Ernie has complained about the front brakes on his too. Hmmm... may be something that multiple owners should complain to Suzuki about!

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
lovebothkats said:
Glad you survived, actually Ernie has complained about the front brakes on his too. Hmmm... may be something that multiple owners should complain to Suzuki about!
complaining wont do much. the 1k brakes are no better than the 750 or 600 units(thought their bling bling factor is higher). Most people agree that new pads make a world of difference, and adding braided lines with new pads turns braking into a whole new experience.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WHat to do about the brakes

If money were not the factor and the best brakes kit out there were the target what would you guys do for an upgrade?

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
Re: WHat to do about the brakes

GrandpaNot said:
If money were not the factor and the best brakes kit out there were the target what would you guys do for an upgrade?
just upgrade your pads(ebc HH are well liked),and get some braided steel lines. You WILL be VERY happy. i haven't done mine yet, but this discussion has been beaten to death on gixxer.com.

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
IMO EBC HH pads and Goodridge SSTL Braided Brake Lines.

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
If you wanted ot go all out, sure you could get AFtermarket Brembo calipers, a rotary master cylinder, HH kit pads, SS lines, and some aftermarket steel or cast iron rotors. Stock ones are stinless which I guess has less bite and warps easier.

But SS lines and HH pads will do the bike good. That's what I have, and what most people go with.

Will rode my bike the other night and he has good brakes on his BMW, but comented on how easily mine stopped with so little effort. That extra power is really great when riding 2-up also... which both of us were at one point.;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
The brakes on all gixxers suck big time. I remember riding vcock's and Ernie's bikes and got you all have shitty brakes.

I have EBC HH pads and they are a lot better, still not good enough though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts