Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Grand Master Crash
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this in my email a few minutes ago from Keith Code's CA Superbike School...

----------------------------------------
Doing wheelies ranks high on the list of the most frivolous and decadent things in the history of Mankind!

Want to learn how?

ON ONE WHEEL will host its historic first wheelie school at Irwindale Raceway on the 18th of November 2002.

Location: Irwindale Raceway, Irwindale, CA (20 minutes from downtown LA)

Cost: $495

Bike: Kawasaki ZRX 1200

Session: All Day

Students: 8 total

Practice: Dozens of runs

Date: 18 November 2002

Guarantee: You will wheelie

No one knows why Keith developed the WHEELIE TRAINING BIKE but like the rest of his motorcycle training devices, it works great. The bike has two ANTI FLIP-OVER mechanisms: one kills the power and the other applies the rear brake. Your eyes will pop out of your head when it goes up--but flipping it won't be easy.

Call or email now to reserve your spot--remember only 8 students total for

the school.

email back or Call (323) 224-2734 Ask for Whitney

·
Registered
813 Posts
I just got the same thing. Funny how the "Safety School" is offering a course in wheel stands.(and for $495 bucks!!) :rolleyes

I'll teach anybody who wants to learn for half that.:laughing

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
lol what a fucken joke...they can tell you all they want how to do it with training wheelies and what ever..but it comes down to knowing your bike, having balance..and a set of big balls for the good wheelies..and just like the first day you got your motorcycle and your good on it now..is the same thing with stunting..little by little you progress untill you do it in such a manner you dont think...you just do and SMILE while you do it.
take baby steps in everything

i use to be SCARED as soon as the wheel lifted..now look at my dumb ass in since the begaining of this season i have worked at it..now i can yank it up and switch gears all the wy to 3rd before i think it WAYYYYYYYYYYY to fast.
and shit thats not even the half of it..a GOOD wheelie is a 30mpr CONSTINT speed of 30mpr at the balance point...NOW THATS SOME GOOD SHIT!
what a joke that is to hear:laughing

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Man that would be fun but thats expensive to just do wheelies.

Now if they had a rolling stoppie bike and could gaurantee me 300 foot rollin stoppies we would be on :D :D

·
Grand Master Crash
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I laughed my ass off when I read:

"...No one knows why Keith developed the WHEELIE TRAINING BIKE ...."

LOL... I was thinking the EXACT same thing when I first read the email. WHY would he build such a thing... and WHO in their right mind would pay $495 to learn to do it! AND (as Ken mentioned) learn to do it on an unfamiliar bike???

It's taken me FOREVER to learn to do wheelies. I could jump a MX bike 25 feet in the air, rip a 60mph rolling stoppie, or drag my knee at 130mph... but it took me up until last year (riding MX since I was 14, street since 16) to FINALLY get wheelies down. And since I haven't ridden at all on the street this year, I've lost my touch and whiff every one (those of you on the LITH ride this past week saw me whiff a ton...) You HAVE to learn slowly... I would be shocked if Keith could take someone who's never done a wheelie, and turn them into a wheelie god, in one day.

Tho it would be kinda fun to try it out on a bike that you couldn't possibly flip over ;)

·
BEER!
5,970 Posts
ZRX1200? Damn, that thing is a wheelie monster anyways. Most people interested in this course don't ride such torque monsters.
If really wanted to show how good of an instructor he is (and, judging by his books and reviews of courses, he is), then he'd be using Ninja500Rs, MAYBE a ZX-6R. ZRX1200 is damn near cheating.

Chris

·
Moderator,
2,978 Posts
$495?? Wow, now that's for people who REALLY want to wheelie.

I think the bike is a good idea though. I mean, what is the biggest reason for not learning to wheelie good? Fear of flipping. I know i shit my pants when i hit the balance point. If I had a bike I could screw around with and learn to ride out the balance point and forget about the fact that i could really jack up my bike... You could learn wheelies MUCH faster. It basically sounds like a class to get over the fear of being at the balance point. I would never pay that much, but I'm sure somebody will.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
I'm just going to throw this out there even though mostof you guys are knockin' this.

Keith Code's big learning technique's are Throttle control and survival reactions. In his opinion these are what seperates average from advance riders.

That said I can't think of a better way to teach someone throtle control and overcome Survival reactions than teaching wheelies. Some may disagree with me on this but did you ever notice after a race the guys doing wheelies like they are first class stunna's. I believe they are that good at it because of their incredible throttle control they have and their ability to overcome the SR's. I probably would pay the cash for the class cause not only would it be cool to learn how to stick that balance point, but I believe it would benefit my riding ability.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Its just another way for Keith to make money. Plain and simple.

I think his books (TOTW1&2) are both worth the read. But everyone I've talked to that have ATTENDED his riding school(not the wheelie school) said it was a waste of time and to instead do the Kevin Schwanz school or Pridgemore's school's. (keep in mind most of these people are trackday enthusiasts or racers).

Would a wheelie school improve my riding? I don't see how developing my ability to ride a motorcycle on ONE WHEEL would benefit 99.9% of my riding, I can control the bike MUCH better and go MUCH faster with both wheels planted. Throttle control is great.... but I don't think wheelie throttle control is the same thing as throttle control when your riding on the street and hit that wet decreasing radius corner, or on the race track when your rear tire is starting to go bad but your still trying to duke it out for position.

Like Ken said EVERY bike is different, you need to feel each out until you've gained the comfort level to start goofing off. Those racers you mentioned, they spend as much time in the saddle of their racebikes as we all do at work on CLSB or home on the couch. I first learned to wheelie on an old 79' YZ100 (total cost $200). My KX125 was much harder.... My Superhawk I never tried to much, it came up too fast for my ballz (like the KX). And now the babyhawk....well lets just say the only time I'm worried about "getting it up" is during the start/launch.

For the $$$ I think I would have much more to gain from a quality road racing type school or something like the American Supercamp Dirt track school

holy shit I wrote a book!

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
I'm with Crazy on this one. Not the cost mind you and I wouldnt actually do this, but the idea of setting up a bike with the most amount of safety in mind is excellent.

Hey Grover, gona email Keith see if he can rig a system up for the SV for the next drag strip run.:D

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
vtr996 said:
but I don't think wheelie throttle control is the same thing as throttle control when your riding on the street and hit that wet decreasing radius corner, or on the race track when your rear tire is starting to go bad but your still trying to duke it out for position.

No offense but I'm still going to disagree with the masses here. I have learned alot this year in my riding and one thing that stands out is learning to find that point in the throttle where I'm going to keep good traction around a turn. I have a hard time doing it but, it is also a challenge to find that point in the throttle to keep that front wheel up. Either way IMO it is developing your senses to find a point in the throttle and develop you skill to roll it on just right. Different route to the same destination. That's ok if others disagree with me though. To me I like all kinds of riding style and appreciate the skill behind them all;)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
LMFAO!!:laughing :laughing :laughing

It only takes $495 to become a *StarBoy*???

:rofl :rofl :rofl

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
OK heres my 2 cents on the subject of wheelies making a better rider?

my answer is yes in a few ways.

and this applies to me and what it helped me with..this year i have found NEW fun in my old bike..the reason is pulling wheelies..while it takes throttle control, to manage the amount of power being released, and balance to control the movement of the bike side to side, then there is tilting the front wheel as a rutter while your up there for a while..then there's moving your body around as well to fight against the wind to do all these things I mentioned in order to STEER or just go STRAIGHT.

Now here this is what I gained, from at first..i thought fucking around and it still is but in a sense..IT IS A SKILL and a skill that has helped me in a few manners in no matter what type of riding. street or track.

It has touht me to be more aggressive in my launches..and in my exiting of the turns...for a few reason..i NOW KNOW how to control the front wheel lifting..in now i can manage the balance of throttle, balance of exiting still leaned over (but almost up right) and to FEEL MORE IN CONTROLL!
Which I think i never felt this way before till after doing wheelies.

I hope I am expressing what I am trying to get across.
But it has helped me..to feel more confident and more in control and now I RIDE MY BIKE..like it was my bitch! And I do mean that even more so since this year.

So again doing wheelies that you can actually hold for a few seconds or a few miles..it does teach you control, balance, management, over coming fear some more because you have steped into a realm of borderline balance..and in that balance zone that's where you find out..if you can handle TOTAL refinement of what you experience level is on a bike.

And again I hope I got what I am trying to get across...if not ill be more then willing to explain in person. It has REALLY helped me to over come some fear and now feel even MORE control of my bike. because when it gets out of control either by means of powersliding..(which is another skill) of the traction is great enough the front wheel lifts..in both cases...you now have experance and control to keep going as nothing happened instead of freaking, let alone to control MOST ALL the power you have to throw at the ground;)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Odysseys said:
OK heres my 2 cents on the subject of wheelies making a better rider?

my answer is yes in a few ways.

and this applies to me and what it helped me with..this year i have found NEW fun in my old bike..the reason is pulling wheelies..while it takes throttle control, to manage the amount of power being released, and balance to control the movement of the bike side to side, then there is tilting the front wheel as a rutter while your up there for a while..then there's moving your body around as well to fight against the wind to do all these things I mentioned in order to STEER or just go STRAIGHT.

Now here this is what I gained, from at first..i thought fucking around and it still is but in a sense..IT IS A SKILL and a skill that has helped me in a few manners in no matter what type of riding. street or track.

It has touht me to be more aggressive in my launches..and in my exiting of the turns...for a few reason..i NOW KNOW how to control the front wheel lifting..in now i can manage the balance of throttle, balance of exiting still leaned over (but almost up right) and to FEEL MORE IN CONTROLL!
Which I think i never felt this way before till after doing wheelies.

I hope I am expressing what I am trying to get across.
But it has helped me..to feel more confident and more in control and now I RIDE MY BIKE..like it was my bitch! And I do mean that even more so since this year.

So again doing wheelies that you can actually hold for a few seconds or a few miles..it does teach you control, balance, management, over coming fear some more because you have steped into a realm of borderline balance..and in that balance zone that's where you find out..if you can handle TOTAL refinement of what you experience level is on a bike.

And again I hope I got what I am trying to get across...if not ill be more then willing to explain in person. It has REALLY helped me to over come some fear and now feel even MORE control of my bike. because when it gets out of control either by means of powersliding..(which is another skill) of the traction is great enough the front wheel lifts..in both cases...you now have experance and control to keep going as nothing happened instead of freaking, let alone to control MOST ALL the power you have to throw at the ground;)
lol....
shit we should of asked you that back at the BHF trackday back in May....LMFAO:laughing :laughing

"Just give it more gas!!"
And it's all about being smooth and in control....
my .02 cents....:- :-

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
lol dano...wasnt my fault there man...fucken owners and track workers...were tight ass's
shit even i did a little wheelie in the staging line up:rolleyes :evil

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
dano5150 said:

lol....

"Just give it more gas!!"
And it's all about being smooth and in control....
my .02 cents....:- :-
Giving it gas isn't a problem on the R1. Keeping it smooth however with an R1 I am finding extremely difficult. I am getting a little better though.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Crazy said:

Giving it gas isn't a problem on the R1. Keeping it smooth however with an R1 I am finding extremely difficult. I am getting a little better though.
haha...It's just a figure of speech....

:D :D :D

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
dano5150 said:

haha...It's just a figure of speech....

:D :D :D

I know...:D but I was hoping you were going to give me some helpful hints on how to do it.:D :D (wink..wink..nudge...nudge):D

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Crazy said:

I know...:D but I was hoping you were going to give me some helpful hints on how to do it.:D :D (wink..wink..nudge...nudge):D
LOL
I know...I gave up a few years ago trying to teach people how to do wheelies. Too many of them crashed trying. My tip...umm start in 2nd gear. It's much easier to control (less twitchy). And remember....stay smooth...(easier said than done..)
Good luck and it'll come...if you really want to learn them

1 - 19 of 19 Posts