Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· The Halo hides my Horns
12,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's all over the place:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2012/10/30/disney-star-wars-lucasfilm/1669739/

4:51PM EDT October 30. 2012 - Mickey Mouse can now feel the Force.

Disney (DIS) is buying Lucasfilm for $4 billion, adding the legendary Star Wars franchise to the entertainment giant's stable of characters. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Founder George Lucas.

The buyout ranks among one of the largest ever made by Disney. It's fourth behind the $19.7 billion, $7.6 billion and $5.2 billion buyouts of Capital Cities/ABC in 1995, Pixar in 2006 and Fox Family in 2001, respectively, says S&P Capital IQ. It tops the $3.96 billion Disney paid for Marvel in August 2009.

Disney expects to more aggressively expand the Star Wars film schedule, Disney CEO Robert Iger said in a statement. Following the release of Episode 7 in 2015, "our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years," Iger said in the statement.

Based on Disney's closing price on Oct. 26, the deal is valued at roughly $4.1 billion. Disney will pay half the deal value in cash and issue 40 million shares of Disney to pay for the deal.

"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next," said George Lucas, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Lucasfilm, in a statement. "It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers."

Kathleen Kennedy, co-chairman of LucasFilm, will report to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn.

The latest part of the Star Wars saga, Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for a 2015 release.

12,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Walt Disney just announced that it will buy Lucasfilm from George Lucas for $4.05 billion in cash and stock! This includes the Star Wars franchise, Indiana Jones franchise, ILM, LucasArts, and Skywalker sound.

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Lucasfilm, a leader in entertainment, innovation and technology, including its massively popular and “evergreen” Star Wars franchise and its operating businesses in live action film production, consumer products, animation, visual effects, and audio post production.

Here's what George Lucas had to say:

“For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next,” said George Lucas, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Lucasfilm. “It’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I’ve always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I’m confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney’s reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products.”

The announcement also mentions that Star Wars Episode 7 is scheduled for release in 2015. Episodes 8 and 9 are planned as well, every 2-3 years.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd-195100740.html

· Ridiculously Good Looking
32,521 Posts
Why the LOL?

12,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting Resume from Kathleen Kennedy:

Filmography

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) (associate producer)[15]
Poltergeist (1982) (associate producer)
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) (producer)
Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983) (associate producer) (producer) (segment 2)
Gremlins (1984) (executive producer)
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) (associate producer)
The Color Purple (1985) (producer)
Young Sherlock Holmes (1985) (executive producer)
Back to the Future (1985) (executive producer)
The Goonies (1985) (executive producer)
Fandango (1985) (executive producer)
An American Tail (1986) (producer)
The Money Pit (1986) (producer)
*batteries not included (1987) (executive producer)
Empire of the Sun (1987) (producer)
Innerspace (1987) (co-executive producer)
The China Odyssey: 'Empire of the Sun', a Film by Steven Spielberg (1987) (associate producer)
The Land Before Time (1988) (co-executive producer)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) (executive producer)
Always (1989) (producer)
Back to the Future Part II (1989) (executive producer)
Dad (1989) (executive producer)
Tummy Trouble (1989) (executive producer)
Arachnophobia (1990) (producer)
Gremlins 2: The New Batch (1990) (executive producer)
Roller Coaster Rabbit (1990) (executive producer)
Back to the Future Part III (1990) (executive producer)
Joe Versus the Volcano (1990) (executive producer)
Hook (1991) (producer)
An American Tail: Fievel Goes West (1991) (executive producer)
Cape Fear (1991) (executive producer)
A Brief History of Time (1991) (executive producer) (uncredited)
A Wish for Wings That Work (1991) (TV) (executive producer)
Noises Off (1992) (executive producer)
Schindler's List (1993) (executive producer)
We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story (1993) (executive producer)
A Dangerous Woman (1993) (executive producer)
Jurassic Park (1993) (producer)
A Far Off Place (1993) (executive producer)
Trail Mix-Up (1993) (executive producer)
Alive (1993) (producer)
Milk Money (1994) (producer)
The Flintstones (1994) (executive producer)
Balto (1995) (executive producer)
The Indian in the Cupboard (1995) (producer)
Congo (1995) (producer)
The Bridges of Madison County (1995) (producer)
Twister (1996) (producer)
The Best of Roger Rabbit (1996) (executive producer)
The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997) (executive producer)
A Map of the World (1999) (producer)
Snow Falling on Cedars (1999) (producer)
The Sixth Sense (1999) (producer)
Olympic Glory (1999) (executive producer)
Jurassic Park III (2001) (producer)
Artificial Intelligence: A.I. (2001) (producer)
The Sports Pages (2001) (TV) (executive producer)
Signs (2002) (executive producer)
The Young Black Stallion (2003) (producer)
Seabiscuit (2003) (producer)
Munich (2005) (producer)
War of the Worlds (2005) (producer)
Persepolis (2007) (executive producer)
Le Scaphandre et le papillon (The Diving Bell and the Butterfly) (2007) (producer)
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008) (producer)
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) (producer)
Ponyo (2009) (U.S. version co-producer)
Crossing Over (2009) (producer)
The Last Airbender (2010) (producer)
Hereafter (co-producer with Clint Eastwood, Robert Lorenz & Steven Spielberg) (2010)
The Adventures of Tintin (2011) (producer)
War Horse (2011) (producer)
The Secret World of Arrietty (2012) (U.S. version executive producer)
Lincoln (2012) (producer)

12,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm just worried they'll stomp out the Empire Strikes Back Revisted fan edit that I've been waiting for.

Eric, did you ever get the Star Wars Revisited fan edit? F-ing fantastic.
Yeah, I actually had a movie night of it. Far better than the Lucas edits.

I like that Chewy got a medal. It's the little things...

· Registered
11,279 Posts
Call me an "un-American" if you want but I've never in my entire life understood the appeal of Star Wars. As I child, I may have briefly thought the idea of having R2-D2 as my robot buddy was novel and, of course, owning a real light saber was an aspiration but I never really immersed myself in the culture of Star Wars as some of you have. It just seemed boring to me. I don't really know who this guy is but if he could put a different spin on Star Wars I may just give it another shot.

12,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think first we need to know where they are going with the Star Wars Franchise.

You see, there is a whole series of "young Jedi knights" books that Disney can clusterfuck. So imagine if 7-8-9 actually turn out to be a story of three students at a Jedi academy who go up against an evil Sith reborn...oh wait, does that sound too much like Harry Potter? You know, the series that made mega-millions....

· Who's faster Lupi
4,910 Posts
Princess Leia now join the ranks of Princess Ariel, Princess Cinderella, and Princess Belle. Lulz.
Been doing that for years at Disney World on SW weekends, end of May begining of June. Fun times.

· Who's faster Lupi
4,910 Posts
Lucas put in alot of restrictions on anything written pre New Hope. But he left things wide open post Jedi. So almost all the books, TPD's etc are written post Jedi. It would be very hard for Disney to stray from whats been written. I would expect to see Han and Leia's marrage and the story of their kids, twins Jacen and Jaina and little Anakin as a starting point for VI

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.