Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into supermoto's and need some good sites for parts. Preferably for Japanese dirtbikes. I've found motostrano which is good, i'm just thought there is probably more.

·
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin
8,791 Posts
We were just discussing this earlier this week. I think motostrano is what everybody recommended

·
Failed rehab
14,908 Posts
supermotojunkie.com for used stuff.
Also, Lockhart Philiips has a supermoto division called 70/30 racing, and there's supermoto stuff in Tucker Rocky and Parts Unlimited, so your local dealer can order you up stuff as well.

and BTW, get a KTM!!!!

·
Failed rehab
14,908 Posts
AdvancedPerformanceAccessories.com has a few things, thats where I got my exhaust can slider

yoyodyneti.com has some Supermoto stuff too.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I were to get a non Japanese bike, it would be the Huskavarna (sp). I've always wanted one. If not the Husky, an Aprilia, but they are way expensive. I like KTM's, but they need lots of work and parts are more expensive. When i'm a billionare, i'll start buying exotics..............

·
Failed rehab
14,908 Posts
If I were to get a non Japanese bike, it would be the Huskavarna (sp). I've always wanted one. If not the Husky, an Aprilia, but they are way expensive. I like KTM's, but they need lots of work and parts are more expensive. When i'm a billionare, i'll start buying exotics..............
Compared to a Husky, KTMs are awesome. Having owned both, the KTM is much better.

And it's also a misconception that KTMs need more work than a Jap Sumo. Any Supermoto that is any good is going to be based on an MX bike, which is high strung to start with. The Jap MXers require just as much maintenance as the KTMs. The top end rebuild is as frequent, if not even moreso. Many of them have Ti valves which makes it MORE expensive than a KTM. Also, the design of the motors makes KTM's easier to work on. Valve adjustments take literally 45 minutes, start to finish. Most Japanese MX bike are overhead cam, which makes it much more involved.

Just because it's Japanese doesn't mean its bulletproof or that'll it require little maintenance.

Second, KTM is much better to deal with than Cagiva or Aprilia when you need parts. The Dealer interface actually keeps you abreast of whats in stock, when it'll arrive, etc, etc. Not so with husky. (maybe BMW will be better)

I've owned alot of bikes, and a few supermotos and dirtbikes. KTM has by far impressed me the most as far as build quality.

·
Failed rehab
14,908 Posts
compared to dirt bikes or street bikes, it's a very very small niche market.
Also, there aren't many parts that are supermoto-specific. The brakes and tires are streetbike parts, while everything else is dirtbike parts. The only thing that might be supermoto specific is the 17" wheels

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was never really considering a Husky, Aprillia, or KTM but IF I were, I would talk to you first, Rob. I had a YZ426 that didn't need any valve adjustments the entire time I owned it, approximately 100 hours of use. It didn't smoke or run rough at all when I sold it, but I contribute that to Amsoil. I've owned 4 dirtbikes and so far, love Yamaha's YZF's. I like to tinker with all my bikes, so a good aftermarket and parts availablily is key. I haven't bought anything yet, but i'm pretty confident it will be YZ blue.
Plus, I used to be a BMW tech and worked on 12 cylinder engines, so a 5 valve adjustment is no big deal.

·
Failed rehab
14,908 Posts
I was never really considering a Husky, Aprillia, or KTM but IF I were, I would talk to you first, Rob. I had a YZ426 that didn't need any valve adjustments the entire time I owned it, approximately 100 hours of use. It didn't smoke or run rough at all when I sold it, but I contribute that to Amsoil. I've owned 4 dirtbikes and so far, love Yamaha's YZF's. I like to tinker with all my bikes, so a good aftermarket and parts availablily is key. I haven't bought anything yet, but i'm pretty confident it will be YZ blue.
Plus, I used to be a BMW tech and worked on 12 cylinder engines, so a 5 valve adjustment is no big deal.
Cool beans man. When you get situated, we'll hit the SuMo tracks! :cruise

BTW, I've got a lightly used 06 YZ250f if you need another dirtbike :poke: :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts