Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Low Maintainance Patio??????

2K views 35 replies 10 participants last post by  bluebusa60544 
#1 ·
Since we're on the home improvement theme...

the wife and I have been kicking around the idea of getting a Patio put in. I don't want to be sanding and staining every year so wood is pretty much out. The wife doesn't like the brushed concrete look and the stamped concrete is awsome but is a little to pricey. Anyone know any other low maintainance low cost materials for a patio? Or know someone to do the concrete cheap??
Thanks!!!

#2 ·
come take a look at the one i just had put in, myconcret guy is awesome and did some really nice finish work on it. not just the usual brushed. plus he's got awesome prices.

#3 ·
I don't have any idea about teh costs, but my neighbor just put in a concrete walkway. Basically, he bought a 12"x24" or so metal mold, a small concrete mixer and some dye. you basically prep the land, mix the crete, and pack the mold. I don't think it is all that expensivee, and I am watching his to see how well it holds up. I was thinking of doing something similar, or looking into having somone do it professionally. Not sure on a time frame for me, so let me know what you guys all find out.

Tony,
How many Sq ft did you do, what was the approx cost, and can you post some pics? Did the prep the landscape, offer any othere fringes shrubs, anything else or just teh pation??

Ciao,
Lupi

#4 ·
GsxrTony said:
come take a look at the one i just had put in, myconcret guy is awesome and did some really nice finish work on it. not just the usual brushed. plus he's got awesome prices.
What kind of finish work and how much??

I had a guy come over and quote me $2200 for brushed alone. 3-4K for stamped. I'm pretty sure that sucks, but I don't know.

#6 ·
Jeff with a J said:

Concrete slabs will inevitabily crack -- bricks simply settle individually.
That's true thanks!!

The bricks is something I could do myself. Did you have it done? and when they did it did they poor concrete underneath or just use gravel and sand???

#8 ·
Jeff with a J said:

I had it done....

They used gravel.
I've had it for over 2 yrs, and the only thing I have ever had to
do ....is sit on it!

You are more than welcome to come by and take a look sometime :cheers
Awsome...

Thanks Jeff with a J:cheers

#9 ·
I have a patio like jeff's no lights but fancier(s/p?) bricks, i paid about the same as he did, i helpped my neighbor do his patio, and let me tell you it is worth the 500-700 dollars you pay in labor. after renting a brick cutting machine and the amount of time and neighbors we pissed off cutting bricks till midnight it is WAY worth the labor!!!!!
just my .02

#10 ·
JimGoFast said:
I have a patio like jeff's no lights but fancier(s/p?) bricks, i paid about the same as he did, i helpped my neighbor do his patio, and let me tell you it is worth the 500-700 dollars you pay in labor. after renting a brick cutting machine and the amount of time and neighbors we pissed off cutting bricks till midnight it is WAY worth the labor!!!!!
just my .02
My patio is going to be pretty square. Shouldn't be much cutting involved, but thanks.

I just talked it over with my boss too. He went with the concrete and insisted if you get someone to do it right it won't crack. I may just save up some cash and have a really nice decorative stamped concrete one put in.:confused

#11 ·
Crazy said:

He went with the concrete and insisted if you get someone to do it right it won't crack.
In our ever-changing climate 95 to 20 below, a big slab will eventually crack no matter how well it's poured. A very good friend of mine drives a concrete mixer for Prairi,e and he confirmed this.

Because the bricks can (and will) settle individually, you will never have cracking.

Also, most companies offer a guarantee on work....my contractor offered 1yr to adjust any settling that may take place.

Just my opinion.....

PS - If you decide to go w/concrete, I can put you in touch w/my buddy.

#12 ·
Crazy said:

What kind of finish work and how much??

I had a guy come over and quote me $2200 for brushed alone. 3-4K for stamped. I'm pretty sure that sucks, but I don't know.
Mine is 30 x 14.5 feet. He did whats called a california finish. All of the squares are brushed in the middle with about a 6 inch smooth edge throughout. It's hard to describe but it came out really nice. And this includes all the prep work, you dont do a think but decide how you want it to look. I've got some nice curved edges and he even made a little trough for my hose to drain in case it leaks. My wife and I were both super impressed with his work, in fact he is now doing 3 of my nieghbors after they saw mine. Plus you cant beat the low maintance and strength of concrete. Just power wash it once a year and your good to go. everything else is just a pain in the ass and over priced.

BTW mine was only $1950.00

#13 ·
Crazy said:

He went with the concrete and insisted if you get someone to do it right it won't crack. I may just save up some cash and have a really nice decorative stamped concrete one put in.:confused
I used to do concrete and your boss is right. If done correctly you shouldn't have any cracking problems. Its all about using a good base (NOT PEAGRAVEL!!!!!) and pouring the 'crete evenly across the slab. Cracks are usually the result of an air gap between the bottom of the concrete and the top of the base which is cause by crappy prep work.

#14 ·
Jeff with a J said:

In our ever-changing climate 95 to 20 below, a big slab will eventually crack no matter how well it's poured. A very good friend of mine drives a concrete mixer for Prairi,e and he confirmed this.

Because the bricks can (and will) settle individually, you will never have cracking.

Also, most companies offer a guarantee on work....my contractor offered 1yr to adjust any settling that may take place.

Just my opinion.....

PS - If you decide to go w/concrete, I can put you in touch w/my buddy.
I've heard alot of good things about the bricks. The only bad thing I've heard is they attract the ants and the nasty looking ant hills.

#15 ·
Crazy said:

I've heard alot of good things about the bricks. The only bad thing I've heard is they attract the ants and the nasty looking ant hills.
Yup, had that on my old house. It got to the point where i was pouring gas down the ant hills and lighting them up. I love my concrete now. Wouldnt have it any other way.

#16 ·
GsxrTony said:

Yup, had that on my old house. It got to the point where i was pouring gas down the ant hills and lighting them up. I love my concrete now. Wouldnt have it any other way.
sounds like alot of conflicting opinions here.

Tony did your guy use the "PEAGRAVEL"
that's a great price. Do you have his number???

#18 ·
Crazy said:

sounds like alot of conflicting opinions here.

Tony did your guy use the "PEAGRAVEL"
that's a great price. Do you have his number???
He didnt use the small peagravel he used the nice big stuff, with wire mesh and rebar.

Plus it's thick as shit.

his name is Dallas, his number is 630- 408- 4177 thats his cell.

Tell him your a friend of tony Filippelli , Joe's nighbor

#19 ·
GsxrTony said:

He didnt use the small peagravel he used the nice big stuff, with wire mesh and rebar.

Plus it's thick as shit.

his name is Dallas, his number is 630- 408- 4177 thats his cell.

Tell him your a friend of tony Filippelli , Joe's nighbor
Thanks a ton Tony:D

Now I gotta do some gign' to come up with the cash:evil

#20 ·
Crazy said:

Thanks a ton Tony:D

Now I gotta do some gign' to come up with the cash:evil
Cool, have him come out and give you an estimate. That way you can get the ball rollin on cash while your waiting. He doesnt get paid till he's done and it takes a week or so to do it. Plus he's doing two right now in my area so it may be a week or two till he can start This way you will be in line.

#22 ·
Odysseys said:
i am gonna put a 45x30 deck made of steel...with holes everywhere..that way the rain will come threw..and when it rust its gonna look like SHIT:D they gave me a quote of 9,000.00

Steel decks??? Isn't Kawasaki gonna start making those???

Be sure to paint it black so the surface temp is about 400 degrees on a summer day!!!!!

$9000 is a STEAL!!!! Jump on it! ;-)

#24 ·
Y2KR1 said:
:confused
pssssst you're late again...read the whole thread.
:laughing :laughing :laughing :D

#26 ·
Y2KR1 said:

I also like reading the last page of a mystery novel first.:D
:laughing :laughing Hey:eek:t but were you riding with the wife on the back Monday night? I caught a glimpse of a couple on an R1 on Route thirty near the 55 bridge thought it looked like you guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.