Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Good article. He's still one of my favorite riders out there.

I like Migueal and Eric, but mladin is still the shit. :D

·
Special Agent Lance Boyle
6,704 Posts
Good, well written article. I wonder if Despain will take any of that to heart.

I still wanted Miguel to win though!

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
LOL, Despain can never catch a break, everyone gives him shit :laughing

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
SO who is the "friend" riding with him? The same person he gave thanks to before in the post race interview, when he got all teary eyed?

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Kruz said:
SO who is the "friend" riding with him? The same person he gave thanks to before in the post race interview, when he got all teary eyed?
I was wondering that also, does he have his girlfriend talk in his radio, or is he refering to maybe a dead relative or someone watching over him?

·
Premium Member
9,252 Posts
What's Despain's background? I know he used to do a ton of motorcycle stuff on Speed, then the powers that be turned him into a NASCAR puppet. But to me, he sounded like a complete idiot during the race coverage. His interview with Duhammel was weak IMO.

It was funny listening to Sidowski correct him every 5 min.

·
habitual line stepper
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Underdog said:
What's Despain's background? I know he used to do a ton of motorcycle stuff on Speed, then the powers that be turned him into a NASCAR puppet. But to me, he sounded like a complete idiot during the race coverage. His interview with Duhammel was weak IMO.

It was funny listening to Sidowski correct him every 5 min.
Despain isn't the guy doing commentary with Sadowski, it's Brian Drebber.

Despain has a lot of history in racing, both car and bike. I respect what he says, he knows a helluva lot more than me.

·
Tgf Og
9,851 Posts
Well I got to agree with him on what hes saying about the announcers they flat out said there is no way he or eric could win with a three pit stop strategy. Im not sure why he is attacking despain though, but whatever he ran a good race, gotta give him props for that! and a drop kick and a head butt! ;)

·
Special Agent Lance Boyle
6,704 Posts
Despain raced dirt track:cheers

Drebber was a bicycle racer I beleive.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think his thing with Despain is mostly that Despain keeps bringing up the fact that he's not always the most PC sort of guy. Some of the things Mladin says off the cuff come off as arrogant, sometimes he seems to say things to try to get under other racers skins (like the stuff he was saying about EBoz and the Ducati before the race)

The more I read of what Mladin has to say when he has a chance to reason it out, though, the more respect I have for him - he's just very blunt and professional and doesn't want anything between him and the championship.

The more I see Mladin ride, the more respect I have for his talent - He was just a machine on saturday, clicking off laps at the same quick pace for 57 laps, never out of control, but always just at the edge of what the bike and the tires were giving him.

If Dunlop can keep him in tires, it's looking like an unexciting year for the championship.

·
BEER!
5,970 Posts
danch said:
If Dunlop can keep him in tires, it's looking like an unexciting year for the championship.
:eek:t
Yeah, thanks to Ducati's mess-up on EBoz's bike, Eboz is SERIOUSLY down in points. You know damn well that if Mladin is crossing the finish line, he's on the podium. What's the points difference between 1st and 3rd? How many races does EBoz have to win now to make up for this (assuming it doesn't happen again?)

back to the topic..
I'll have to watch the Mladin post race interviews (I skipped them) and see what he says. But he isn't afraid to speak his mind, whether or not it's polite. But if there was a lot of Despain bashing I don't think you'll be seeing too many more interviews of him.

I actually want to check out the post race interviews for Zemke's responses. That guy is a riot to listen to.

Chris

·
Registered
350 Posts
I missed Mladin's interview too - the Despain comments I saw were in his column at superbikeplanet.com

:eek:t The Ducati was put out by a holed oil cooler, not because it naturally went boom.

·
a hollow voice says plugh
2,510 Posts
Zemke is hilarious. He doesn't take himself too seriously at all. Good guy for the sport. I love his interviews. I'm glad he's getting some (more) recognition.

·
Resident Slow guy
6,770 Posts
zerogta said:
Zemke is hilarious. He doesn't take himself too seriously at all. Good guy for the sport. I love his interviews. I'm glad he's getting some (more) recognition.
He's one of my favorites as well and is fun to watch. He really looks like he's having a blast at what he's doing
He's another guy who isn't afraid of sliding around .

Sometimes he drives me nuts though on the post race interviews
I haven't watched a lot of other sports but No one changes hats 5 times an interview anymore do they ???
I wish he would give his interview then do the sponsor thing or the other way around.
It was actually better during the post daytona interview then some others.

Still comes off as a really cool guy..

·
habitual line stepper
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, I agree. Zemke is totally cool and one of my favorite riders.

·
BEER!
5,970 Posts
Ohfugit said:
He's one of my favorites as well and is fun to watch. He really looks like he's having a blast at what he's doing
He's another guy who isn't afraid of sliding around .

When he was on TWT he mentioned dirt tracking the VTX for the commercial.. :thumbsup Yeah, he's crazy! His antics pointed at Greg White are absolutely hilarious.

-Chris

1 - 20 of 30 Posts