Chicagoland Sportbikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time back in years this past Sunday. Didn't see anyone familiar there - so here's my recap:

- Women working the floor were considerably more attractive than I remember.
- Manufacturers (other than Aprilia) seemed well represented.
- Overall layout was pretty easy to navigate, and it was pretty easy to avoid the crowds and vendors that you didn't care about unlike years past.
- The oversize front wheel trend on custom baggers is baffling. Baffling I say.

All in all I was pleasantly surprised. I was able to get in, see what I wanted to see and get out in a little over an hour. (and I did it with a kid in a stroller - as a proper homage to OmniGLH :twofinger)

I stopped going like 10 years ago when the shows just started to get sad. Perhaps absence makes the heart grow fonder, or perhaps the shows are better. Regardless - I'm planning to go back again next year.

:cheers

·
Ridiculously Good Looking
32,753 Posts
What UD failed to mention is that it was I in the stroller.......I had taken too many lemon ludes AKA The Wolf Style and he was kind enough to push me around while I grunted and moaned in response to my semi blurred vision of bikes - He even wiped the drool away a few times........and left it there for all to see a few times as well - Not as becoming as one might think

·
Premium Member
9,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lessons learned over the years amigo. You can't seem to keep your paws off the pills, and your constitution just isn't what it used to be. I'm not the physical specimen I once was, so rather than risk dropping you as I lugged you around the show - I thought it best to come prepared with the stroller.

Turns out an incapacitated Bug is right up there with a puppy when it comes to getting attention from girls that should know better but thank goodness they don't.

edit: This post was made knowing full well that the ball was on the tee for a "that wasn't drool" comment. Sometimes you have to be man enough to walk away from the easy ones.

·
Special Agent Lance Boyle
6,704 Posts
What UD failed to mention is that it was I in the stroller.......I had taken too many lemon ludes AKA The Wolf Style and he was kind enough to push me around while I grunted and moaned in response to my semi blurred vision of bikes - He even wiped the drool away a few times........and left it there for all to see a few times as well - Not as becoming as one might think
William H. Rorer thanks you

·
32,753 Posts

·
32,753 Posts

·
Registered
14,283 Posts
I liked the show as usual. I was fun to get out and get the juices flowing for the new season and see more bikes. Also It was good to see a local kid getting a shot at racing over seas and especially someone that you personally know. Damian is a racer that shows up at the supermoto tracks with his dad. He got a full sponsorship through Woodstock KTM with a KTM 390 racebike. Also alot of other deals thought STT, Jason Pridmore and other current racers. He is from the NW suburbs and hopefully he makes it big. For being 11 years old he is pretty quick. Running about the same laptimes as my old ass at Jennings. Jokingly I told Julia to stand next to him so I cna get a picture of them together so when he races moto gp we can say we knew him before he made it big time. Even though we see him everytime we go supermoto racing haha.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20150423/news/150429423/

·
Registered
81 Posts
Like Underdog, I hadnt been to a IMS in years. If I am not in the market to buy a new bike or gear, I dont go. I dont want to look at bikes that I can not afford, so why torture myself. Wife and I only went this year because one of my bikes was displayed at the VJMC exhibit and got free entrance to the show.
Triumph and BMW had a good display. Aprilia was sad. Nice MotoGuzzi Scrambler, and a Thruxton 1200! Good dealer representations.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
it wasn't bad. went with the GF and my daughter who was in for a couple days from norfolk.

she fell in love with t ktm 390. good looking entry level...

i was a little disappointed that there weren't any street triples at the triumph display. nice speed3 and thruxtons and bonnies though.

·
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
11,409 Posts
it wasn't bad. went with the GF and my daughter who was in for a couple days from norfolk.

she fell in love with t ktm 390. good looking entry level...

i was a little disappointed that there weren't any street triples at the triumph display. nice speed3 and thruxtons and bonnies though.
Are the Street Triples like 90% of their sales today? They're the only Trumpets I saw in L.A.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Are the Street Triples like 90% of their sales today? They're the only Trumpets I saw in L.A.
hey brian,

i'm sure they account for a big part of their sales now. i really like them. but i'm thinking the big deal this year will be the twins

·
Registered
14,283 Posts
Yeah my GF was disappointed about the lack of Triumphs also. She did find a new Daytona 675 at the Woodstock HD/KTM/Triumph booth though and loved it. She has a 2011 675 already and a 2007 Daytona 675 trackbike.

·
Registered
81 Posts
On the topic of Triumphs and the abundance to twins, the new Thruxton 1200 was pretty sweet, on display over by the Aprilia tent.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
- The oversize front wheel trend on custom baggers is baffling. Baffling I say....
My theory is that all the little kids whose first rides were Big Wheels have grown up and it looks right to them!.........................just sayin'...

If you notice, The IMS is getting smaller. More so every year. There are many factors for this but it's NOT because interest in motorcycles is diminishing. I fear that like their Indy dealer show the IMS series is not going to be around in a few years! I enjoy it mostly for the social aspect...being with motorcycle people after a few months of no riding weather. Enjoy it while it lasts!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts