Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Mounting tires....Where and how much?

2K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  NoStunner 
#1 ·
I thought this would be a real good question if it hasn't been beaten to death here already.

<li>Where are you guys getting your tires mounted and balanced?</li>

<li>How much are you paying?</li>

<li>If you do it yourself, what are you using?</li>

The reasons I ask are that I recently bought a set of new skins at the local shop I like to patronize and feel like I got raped when it came time to have them put on the rims. I got a decent deal on the tires, but no where near what I could have saved online. As I said, I like to give them the business, so I'll spend a litle more, but $60 for m/b two tires, which I bought from them, rims off the bike? That's a bit more than I wanted to spend. A few dollars more, and I'd have another new front tire.

On our YZF-R1 board, we're currently doing a group buy for a do-it-yourself mounter/balancer setup. A few of the guys had them and recommended them, and for $128 I'd be saving money in no time.....iIf I can get the hang of it. Rumor has it that static balanced wheels are more accurately balanced than spin balanced ones anyhow.

So, what are you guys doing with your new tyres?

See less See more
#2 ·
Yeah, I think $60 bucks with the wheels off definitely is a kinda bad price. I paid $90 with the wheels on after having ordered the tires online. Doin' 'em yourself would probably be a great money saver though.

#3 ·
I buy my streetrubber online and have them mounted at Desplaines Yamaha/Suzuki. I think its about $22/rim (off the bike).

I tried changing my own one time. And after 3hrs of sweating and struggling I said "SCREW THIS" and took them to the shop......but I've seen other people do it pretty quick at the track......

For racerubber it seems nobody can beat the trackside vendors prices, and mounting is usually about $10/rim (off bike) at the track.

#5 ·
I got fed up with dealer's prices and attitudes, and the hassle. WTF? When you think about it, they're earning at least $100/hr. to mount and balance a tire. Even though you didn't buy the tires from them, they still profit well on it.

I'm now 100% self-sufficient: bought a used Coats 220 manual tire machine from a dealer that was upgrading, and a static tire balancer stand about two years ago. I can easily do quick, safe, and professional mounting and balancing without scratching rims- it's just experience. Payoff was immediate just for the no hassle factor, financially it's paid off by now, too.

You'd like to be my friend at tire time!:cheers

#6 ·
I will be looking you up within the next couple of months. I have been nursing these slicks that were on the bike when I bought it but it is such a hassle worrying about the slightest moisture on the road. I will be putting new tires on very, very soon. Open to suggestions for tires as well! :thumbsup

#9 ·
Yeah Willie they're rapin' me as well, $45 per tire from my "friend" at Woodfield when I bring the whole bike, which I always do. Maybe I should have gotten in on that group buy? They give me a killer discount if I brought the tires/wheels myself, $30,,, oooohh! Such sweet guys. There has to be a better way!:rolleyes

#11 ·
ricerocket said:
On our YZF-R1 board, we're currently doing a group buy for a do-it-yourself mounter/balancer setup. A few of the guys had them and recommended them, and for $128 I'd be saving money in no time.....iIf I can get the hang of it. Rumor has it that static balanced wheels are more accurately balanced than spin balanced ones anyhow.

Got a link for this? I'd like to get in on that....

#12 ·
I asked around before I bought tire on my old bike and was quoted prices for weather or not I bought the tire from them or not!!!! I think one place was $45 per tire off the bike if I didn't buy it from them and $30 if I did. So are these prices that people talking about prices off the bike AND not bought from that dealer? Cause I am for sure buying my tires online.....

#14 ·
Vcook said:
woodfield did mine for 23 a tire off the bike, and i brought my own tires in. I thought this was pretty good price. No complaints here.

Yeah but thats cause your a Mod on the "best site in the World"

:D :D :D :D

#15 ·
Funny I got the same price. :laughing

Anyway you look at it, the shops have to charge something in that realm when they are swamped how else could they justify turning people away with bikes that don't even run trying to get them in for service, just to change tires?

I will be buying my own tire changer soon just because of cost and the ease of doing it at home when I have time. Not taking the wheels in having them changed, then picking them up, then putting them back on the bike. The time saved will be worth the investment alone. Besides I'll be taking the Ducman approach "Tires don't need to be balanced". Hey it worked for him and he could ride 1000 x's better than me.

#16 ·
Really you need nothing special to balance the tire. Take two blocks like 4 x 4s that are the same length. Then just span the wheel on it's axle or some other rod and give it a little turn. The heavy end will rotate to the bottom. It really is pretty accurate this way. A package of sticky back weights are around $10 and will last you a long time.

Harbor Freight has a manual car tire changer and the motorcycle wheel attachment for about $75 for both and $15 to ship it.

#17 ·
Re: Re: Mounting tires....Where and how much?

OmniGLH said:

Got a link for this? I'd like to get in on that....
We still need a couple more guys so go to www.yzf-r1forum.com sign up, check out the group buy conference, the details are there. I believe it's for the breaker and static balancer. If we get 20 orders, it's $128per person, unless you want longer irons and plastic ( not rubber) rim protectors. then it's a few buks moe.

The guy named Speed is setting it up and he's the one you will need to contact for payment details.

www.tireqwik.com is the site for the tire breaker.

#19 ·
Harbor Freight has a manual car tire changer and the motorcycle wheel attachment for about $75 for both and $15 to ship it. [/B]
And I'll bet that's about what it's worth- this is exactly the type of tool you can't judge the quality of by an online picture/catalog- it must be evaluated in person. I'd also try to get feedback from other buyers first and check their return policy before taking the chance.

Five things are critical in a tire changer: unit stability, wheel clamping strength, leverage/geometry, bead breaker, and the removal tool itself. If one component is substandard, the whole system becomes a frustrating, rim-hacking aggravation. Cheap tools aren't worth it, especially in this case. Also, when you get into it, lubrication is critical to a smooth job- Tire Slick makes the work easier than dish wash soap and water mix.

That's why in my opinion it was better to buy a used professional tool once, rather than "save money" with a Harbor Freight type deal or similar product. My Coats has been a standard for over 20 years, is still in production, and I can get any replacement part immediately. If you all are serious, why not look into a group buy?

http://www.precisionmfgsales.com

#20 ·
I got a $700,000 tire changer at work!!!!!

last time we changed a tire for a poor stranded young debutante, we used the outrigger of a fire truck to break the bead. now whay doesn't every garage have one of those?:D

#22 ·
Wik said:
Actually my Harbor Frieght works rather well

OK, if it works for you... then God bless you and your Harbor Freight machine.

If anyone is seriously considering either of the two tire machines discussed on this thread, I have a challenge/proposal.

Buy a set of tires, and have each of us change one- I'll do the more difficult rear.

Watch us. Time us. Evaluate the two tools under consideration.
Then decide for yourself.

I stand by all my previous comments.

#24 ·
Sandman

This are all the tools you use to successfully change your tires over?

220 Tire Changer ($809) and COATS 280 Motorcycle Wheel Balancer ($520)
About $1300 total new. I checked ebay and didn't find anything recently.

Any other tools you need to by?

#25 ·
I read this thread with interest as you would think tires should be fairly cheap to mount and balance. The problem from a shop perspective is it takes time. By the time you remove the wheel from the bike , break the bead, remove the old tire , balance it and put it back on , it is about an hour. Now you could rush like crazy and maybe scratch the customers rim and have to buy or refinish it. Or you can remove the wheel yourself and forget to put a wheel spacer in and then wonder why your bike wobbles , see about 40 of them a year. It is quite frankly not worth it for most shops to mount tires unless you have a $4 an hour moron doing it. The other problem is that a person buys his stuff mail order and expects to get a deal on mounting. Kinda like taking a hamburger patty to Burger King and asking them to cook it for you . As far as what tire machine works the best who cares , as long as it doesn't damage the wheel. As far as balancing there are several methods and they are all good. But you must balance , I have balanced many tires in 20 years and have had only a few that required no weights.. Sorry for such a long post.

#26 · (Edited)
sorry, bad day. dealerships are great. Jim, it was for the computrack chassis alignment or something of that sort? I didn't know that it was so expensive, well expensive for me and my riding style anyway. It may be worth it to go in on some decent equipment for changing and balancing tires with some friends. The equipment should end up paying for itself in a relatively short period of time providing it works properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.