Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 448 Posts

· I'm mad bro
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone interested in doing some longer races in 2013, lets say 50 up to 100 miles? What races are there between now and July within a reasonable distance (driveable and would require no more than a 1 night stay away from home for whole trip)?

All this talk about La Ruta recently, and now Vision Quest coaching (where I do computrainer) is doing a camp for Leadville this year. There are some other camps that I'm looking into as well. I've been diligent in my training and having a blast, and really want to keep it up through winter and rest of 2013. Leadville has been on my bucket list since I learned of it a few years ago, and I'm thinking a buckle might be in my reach if I start training now and keep consistent. Would definitely be a great motivator this year! I'm probably going to start planning training rides soon to build up fitness and ability for long days in the saddle.

Thoughts? Cheap shots? :laughing:

· DONATING MEMBER
24,867 Posts
You got a long way to go for a buckle young grasshopper! On the plus side, these races are just as much mental as they are physical, so if you are strong in one you might do OK still. I'm not sure what I'm doing yet, but there are a few I will be considering. I think I might do the HHH race on my mountain bike too. I really need to get on modifying my bike for lower gearing and adding a front derailleur. Glad you are digging it, and with steady training you will do fine.

· DONATING MEMBER
24,867 Posts
It will get you in the ballpark. To get under 9 hours is quite a feat though. Don't set your sights so high yet. Just train correctly and as much as you can and you will do well. I know guys that have a ton of experience with years of riding and training and nutrition that didn't get under 9 hours. Scott got 10.5 and 10 I think, and that was it. He's been riding as long as I have and was pretty fast during that period. A race like that though is more like an adventure for most people, not really a race for time.

· I'm mad bro
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My plan would be to train like I'm going for the sub 9 hour gold buckle, but I know that is getting very optimistic. Realistically I'd be going for the sub 12 hour silver buckle.

· DONATING MEMBER
24,867 Posts
Have you read Friels book yet? Read it. Stocking stuffer. Make the girl get it for you. Do it! You will be riding almost every day to do that. For realz. Dennis had almost 1000 miles in before March last year. He would do 100 mile MTB rides at Waterfall Glen during winter. Serious shit.

· I'm mad bro
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not yet, will add it to my christmas list tonight! Waterfall Glen is exactly what I have in mind for training rides, good 10 mile loop that is rideable in almost any weather. Figure I can start with 3 hour rides and steadily add seat time as I go. I'm in the early stages of considering this, but I can start training like I'm going to do it regardless of whether I actually do. The fitness is part of it, but the financial cost won't be easy either, camps will be big dollars for me. I love the idea of doing a camp, I think it would improve my odds of success quite a bit to know how I'll react to elevation and to have some experience on the course before race day.

· Registered
1,001 Posts
Yes definitely interested in doing some 50-65mi events. 100 is out of my reach for next year. But anyway glad you posted this because I was close to making a thread myself. I've been scouring the endurance forum over at mtbr.com lately reading up on races, training, nutrition etc.

Don't know what races I'm going to do yet but I'll post up some links I've book marked so far. Probably doing mostly solo but a team race would be fun too I think.

http://xxcmag.com/2012-race-calendar Should be a link for the 2013 calendar in there.

http://wemseries.com/ for more semi-local events.

http://www.wausau24.com/page/show/175723-home

http://nuemtb.com/

· I'm mad bro
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Solid, thanks Chris! I'll check those links later tonight. I'm in the same boat, mostly solo but open to team stuff. Either way if I do some of these events would be good to know someone

· DONATING MEMBER
24,867 Posts
WFG is where everybody goes when the weather is shit. It sucks, but at least you can ride on crushed limestone the whole way. Wet or snow, that is the place to go. And it rhymes! :laughing:

Camps are usually big dough, and probably not worth it IMO dollar for dollar with other options. You don't need to do a "camp" to go out there and ride. I wouldn't mind taking a weekend and driving to CO or somewhere and riding a few days and boarding a few days. Just being out there and riding for a few hours will give you an idea of what it will be like and how to deal with it.

Chris, if you can do a 60 mile ride you can do a century. After a certain point, it's all nutrition if you're staying under lactate threshold and aerobic. You would be surprised what you could do now that you have a solid base.

Chuck with those rides you will think these are easy. :laughing:

· Registered
9,337 Posts
Have you read Friels book yet? Read it. Stocking stuffer. Make the girl get it for you. Do it! You will be riding almost every day to do that. For realz. Dennis had almost 1000 miles in before March last year. He would do 100 mile MTB rides at Waterfall Glen during winter. Serious shit.
Whats this book you speak of, it's going to be a long winter.

· DONATING MEMBER
24,867 Posts
Good point. Dont want to go out there solo though
Maybe we can plan a trip somewhere. Rick I'm sure will be in too, as he is doing La Ruta too. One of our best trips was our first time to Whistler and North Shore. First night we slept in the rental van, and our last night we stayed in some bed and breakfast run by somebody's granny. :laughing: Rick said he went out to CO last year with his kids and just played it by ear and checked priceline every night for a cheap hotel and skied for a few days and drove home.

1 - 20 of 448 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.