Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd just share. I was out riding with Hooligan, I pulled off, waved goodbye and turned onto the ramp for I-88. I was accelerating WOT in 2nd gear, the ramp had a slight curve, i grabbed a clutchelss shift into 3rd at about 80 mph and either I didn;t quite hit the shift right or a hit a bump at the same time. Next thing I know the bars a whipping back and forth lock to lock. My hands were able ot stay on the bars. I went back and fort about 5 times before it stopped. The rest of the bike seemed to stay compsed. I kept on going but was kind of shaking my head for a few minutes. Saying ot myself "WTF was that!".

I'm guessing my front end left the pavement for a second then landed crossed up somehow. :confused

I've had the rear end kick out then catch and almost high side, but I've never had the bars go crazy like that. Not fun.

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
Tank slappers are the next step after a head shake... your front suspension "lifts" and the resulting variation in wheel speed combined with any variations in the pavement surface or change in direction can contribute to this. Are you still running a stock steering dampner?

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
wow Kim you really sounded professional on this. Very nice.:thumbsup

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
ROFL!!! That was really John, with me doing the typing. I've not yet experienced an all-out "slapper" but have started noticing an annoying head shake coming out of turns 5, 6 and 7 at the Farm.

·
Lovin this Twin
1,980 Posts
I take that on ramp all the time and have never had a problem there................. it eliminates the road condition.

Those slappers wake ya up dont they Mike?

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I spent the money on a shock instead of the damper. I put the stock shock back on the other day and I had the preload set pretty low for the street to make up for the oversprung shock. I think that is half of it. I also got the FI sorted out and the air was cool and dry so she was making good power. The shift must not have been very smooth, and I probably would have only gotten a little headshake but the front end left the ground then made contact crossed up and went into a tankslapper. Fortunately it didn't finish off by high siding me.

Steering damper is definitely my next upgrade. Haven't found a cheap one I like yet. I don't want to dish out $400 for the Scotts.

·
Special Agent Lance Boyle
6,704 Posts
Next thing I know the bars a whipping back and forth lock to lock
DAMN!
change your leathers:laughing

I've never had a lock to lock'er; just some shakes and rear end oscilations(turn 2 Gingerman).

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
I think Fred was selling his SCott's....all you need is the F4i mount ($125). I bought mine with mount for $379....cheapest price I could fine....

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm.... Scotts dampener $400 or Huggies Ultra $8.95 on sale at Walmart.

I'll get one over the winter. For now, I'll go with the Huggies.:twofinger

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
cherry wait a minute?

you were on a ramp (in a turn) and you got a tank slapper from LOCK to LOCK? when ripping out of 2nd gear into 3rd?

that puts you around what? 90mpr EASY? leaned over on a ramp...and tank slapper from lock to lock...am i right?

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Odysseys said:
cherry wait a minute?

you were on a ramp (in a turn) and you got a tank slapper from LOCK to LOCK? when ripping out of 2nd gear into 3rd?

that puts you around what? 90mpr EASY? leaned over on a ramp...and tank slapper from lock to lock...am i right?

Ya so what's your point???

It was more like 80 mph, I think I short shifted a little and it was a very shallow curve. I wasn't leaned over very much. All I know is I'm accelrating la la la NBD, then all fo the sudden to bars go psycho. I wasn't really riding any different than normal.

·
Tgf Og
9,851 Posts
You so crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just keep on the throttle it'll straighten out!:helmet

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JimGoFast said:
You so crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just keep on the throttle it'll straighten out!:helmet
I think I tried to but it was hard since my arms were whipping back and forth. I would have smashed my hands and dented my tank if I had a R6.:twofinger

1 - 16 of 16 Posts