Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
"PC" ,my balls
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of getting a track bike. I thought I'd get a 600 and put on race plastics. Then it occured to me to just leave the plastic off. Strip off the uppers, lowers, tail, lights, gauges (?), everything not absolutely necessary. Save all the stuff for resale or e-bay it to pay for track time. What purpose do they serve? I'm not looking for that extra .1 sec aerodynamics offer so why risk my wallet? whadda you guys think?

And yeah I know it would look like shit but so would thousands of dollars worth of plastics after I get done throwing them down the asphalt.

·
Registered
916 Posts
<----------Nekid track bike

The only downside to that idea is if you ever decide to race you'll at least need a belly pan.

IMO the aerodynamics don't really do dick until you get over 110-120+mph, and even then if you've got the hp its no biggie. My little hawk with 52rwhp and all the aero's of a barn door was clocked at 118mph on radar at the end of Grattans mainstrait, a good fairing would MAYBE give me 2-3mph on the topend (guessing from other hawk racers I've talked to on this subject).

·
long distance
383 Posts
The idea is good , BUT if you go down:( I would rather trash some plastic then a motor or frame. If you are serious about getting a track bike , PM this guy MPS71 , 00 Zx-6r track ready!

·
"PC" ,my balls
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm serious about a track bike but I have a little court thing to take care of. Then we'll see how the cash flow is.:rolleyes

·
Registered
916 Posts
ddub said:
The idea is good , BUT if you go down:( I would rather trash some plastic then a motor or frame. If you are serious about getting a track bike , PM this guy MPS71 , 00 Zx-6r track ready!
Plastics protect your frame & engine????:laughing

racers use frame sliders and HD case covers to protect the pricey bits.:twofinger :twofinger

Tis the season to buy a racebike, lots of new models coming out in the spring. I expect you'll see lots of 600's and SV's for sale. :thumbsup

·
long distance
383 Posts
VTR, I have raced for a few years and YES the plastic WILL save the bike from more damage than if it was'nt there, yes I agree sliders work and so do HD cases. that stuff wasn't around when I was racing.:twofinger

·
Grand Master Crash
1,079 Posts
The other advantage to running full plastics (and the reason all racing bodies require at least a bellypan) is that if you do crash, there's less of a chance of you spilling fluids all over the track (and ruining everyone's session at a trackday.)

·
CLSB RESIDENT *******!!!!
1,331 Posts
Buy a '01 F4i Red/Black and strip it. I'll buy all your plastics:thumbsup

Mark:p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts