Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Illegitimi non Carborundu
7,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so as you know from my other thread, the ST1300 is going to be totaled and I am gettign what I should get for it. Here is my quandry...

As you can see by my list of bikes, I have a lot of styles of riding represented. Keeping in mind I only want Honda, here are two options I am considering:

1) Just get the new ST1300 and be on my way as before.
2) Get the cash for the ST1300, trade in the VTX, and get a Goldwing.

Those are the only two options I am considering. I am keeping the other bikes. I enjoy driving the VTX, but it really stands to be reasonable that I can't be on all bikes all the time. With our seasons, riding time is always reduced compared to warmer areas. I am really liking the long-distance cruises now, however, which makes me think I would be better off with the Goldwing specifically for that reason.

The RC would still be my sport bike, the VFR for the street bike, the DRZs for the fun bikes, and then have the Goldwing for the long cruises...

Or, I keep the VTX for days I want to ride a bike like that and have the ST1300 for my cruises.

Thoughts?

·
Clever Girl
10,204 Posts
Goldwing.

·
Serious inquiries only
13,775 Posts
First let me ask you a question.

Are you going to be healing up to your pre-crash condition?

I am imagining that you might have a few metal pieces or some scar tissue that will easily get irritated on long distance rides and would suggest the Flying Couch.

·
7,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whichever one has an airbag on it.
Goldwing has an airbag but I probably wouldn't get that model :)
I am leaning more toward Goldwing anyways but wanted some thoughts. I can't rail on it like the ST, but that's what the VFR and RC are for, right? I am sure Ken could rail fine on the Goldwing but my intent would be to use it for my 600+ mile trips I tend to go on quite often.

Well, it will take a couple of weeks to get it all covered. By that time I'll have a better idea on my recovery and decide then. I will probably take my time to get the best deal since I won't be riding at all the rest of the year.

Thansk for the input.

·
Enjoying Life!!
17,771 Posts
Personally I would get the hard bags for the VFR and make that my ST and then keep the VTX and get a Sportbike for the street. That way you have all facets of riding covered.

I think the ST1300 & VFR are pretty close to being the same bike.

I thought the RC was track only duty?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Didn't you already have a Goldwing recently? I'd say get another ST, cause the VFR doesn't quite cut it as a sport tourer and I don't think anyone under 45 should own a Goldwing :) , no offense Ken.

·
7,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Personally I would get the hard bags for the VFR and make that my ST and then keep the VTX and get a Sportbike for the street. That way you have all facets of riding covered.

I think the ST1300 & VFR are pretty close to being the same bike.

I thought the RC was track only duty?
There is a big difference in comfort value between the ST and VFR believe it or not. I didn't think there would be, but it's VERY noticable difference. Still, the idea has merit. Putting bags on the VFR and getting, let's say, the 1000RR could be an option... Like Mort said, though, I need to see how long term recovery goes. I had no surgery or anything, but healing may never be 100% and it will take time to tell how I will feel on any bike..

And yes, the RC is my sport only bike. Track big time next year for me.

·
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin
8,791 Posts
Why don't you hang around with NickIf. He has beaten this topic to death.

I like the 1300. But if you tour a lot I would go with the Wing.

·
Enjoying Life!!
17,771 Posts
Yup I think they are myself. Now I have never ridden them, but I ride an R1 1300 miles so the VFR would be fine for me outside of the engine difference :D

Or lose the VFR, get the 1300, sportbike and VTX :thumbsup

·
Serious inquiries only
13,775 Posts
I actually had a chance to ride both of those bikes, and they were both Paulies :biggrin: but only a short distance.

They are very different bikes. So Chey, your opinion doesn't count :twofinger

·
Enjoying Life!!
17,771 Posts
:twofinger and I stand by my opinion :laughing

I personally would never own both the VFR & 1300 at same time. :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts