Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
I miss mopar
8,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i need to get a new email account. I want something that is web accessible as well as pop or imap (prefer pop) accessible. I really want something that isn't going to get overloaded with spam too. I don't care if I have to pay a yearly fee. What's the best out there?

·
Clever Girl
10,204 Posts
+1. I have had it since the invites were selling for $100 on ebay (11/27/04 is the first email I have in my inbox). Had yahoo/hotmail/AOL before, and they all suck compared to gmail.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
gmail

·
Clever Girl
10,204 Posts
If it's still invite only (can't remember/too lazy to check), send me a PM with your current email address and I'll send you one.

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Gmail is the way to go. and yes see if you can get drama :D

·
SV650N
3,117 Posts
get your own domain
Yep, this is THE way to go. Ownership of your own domain gives you the right to setup email addresses based on where you're entering 'details'

for instance, i signup at quicken as [email protected]_url_I_own.com
at others, I signup as f*[email protected]_url_I_own.com

When I start getting emails sent to
f*[email protected]_url_I_own.com
I write the owner back with a 'cease and desist' email and that usually puts a stop to it.

for the ladies, you can always setup '[email protected]_url_I_own.com'

When google starts charging you for storing your emails online, you'll have no choice but to stick with them.

Also, they ARE making money with 'contextual advertising' (which frankly, gives me the creeps) and so, when my girlfriend opened up an email about someone who was being a bitch, an ad popped up for PMS drugs. :lmao:

When you own your own domain, you can use web-hosted email or a dedicated email. I use a combination of Eudora and web-based.

Good luck.

·
Resident Slow Guy
7,386 Posts
GMAIL. Just recently switched from Hotmail.

·
I miss mopar
8,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gmail it is....done!!!! let me know if you want my new email addy

·
Boom
13,320 Posts
gmail is da bomb. and I do own few of my own domains, I check those using gmail too. There spam filter is the best I've used.

·
I miss mopar
8,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How's the pop access on it?

·
Failed rehab
14,908 Posts
Doesn't Gmail scan your mail in order to send spam ads or soemthing?

·
Failed rehab
14,908 Posts
sweet!

you've been hitting the pipe much lately? :laughing
Not at all.

http://gmail.google.com/mail/help/about_privacy.html#targeted_ads

Google believes that showing relevant advertising offers more value to users than displaying random pop-ups or untargeted banner ads. In Gmail, users will see text ads and links to related pages that are relevant to the content of their messages. The links to related pages are similar to Google search results, and are culled from Google's extensive index of web pages. They are selected solely for their helpfulness and are not paid advertisements.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts