Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Halo hides my Horns
12,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm looking for some billet pulleys for a non-auto related project I'm working on. While I'm mechanically inclined, I'm not at all a gear head and don't know much about souping up a car or where to find parts inexpensively besides what I can Google search for myself. I figured I'd ping CLSB and see if anyone might have something laying around, might know of a local shop, etc.

The project I'm working on has an electric motor with a 1/2" shaft. I've already spoken to a machinist that says if I bring he pulleys he can try and help me figure out how to get them on a 1/2" shaft.

I need a pulley ratio of 2.6666, so I'm looking at billet alternator pulleys around 2"...which appear to be difficult to find because nobody seems to know what diameter their pulleys for sale are. And I need another pulley around 5.5" to get me the ratio I need. I could go larger on the smaller pulley, but then I have to scale up the other pulley and again, that's where I run into problems. Nobody seems to know what size pulleys they sell.

I'd love to find some nice looking, billet pulleys, and I'm looking for ideas of where I could find some, or a shop smart enough to measure what they have, or even used ones someone might have around.

Ideas?

Edit to add: V-groove or multi-rib, it doesn't matter, as long as I can find a matched pair (obviously) in the approximate ratio I need.

·
The Halo hides my Horns
12,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do they have to be billet?
They have to be nice looking. Not necessarily billet.

I already have cast iron ones to prototype the project till I find something nicer...but I don't want to just paint a cast pulley.

·
The Halo hides my Horns
12,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Wisconsin FIB
2,232 Posts
Check out poly-chain timing belt pulleys with the taper lock bushing. We use them at work for all types of projects. They don't look half bad, not very blingy, but not cast crap. And they work.

McMaster Carr

·
The Halo hides my Horns
12,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how bout using your prototype pulleys but cleaning up the cast surface on a lathe?
I don't have a lathe.

And if I knew someone that did, I'd look into a whole new pulley that looks nicer than machined cast iron.

Can you work a lathe?

You still have that drum you welded up for me/?

·
The Halo hides my Horns
12,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ive got access to a lathe at work that i use regularly, adn yep its sittin im my garage, need to get it to ya still
No hurry on the drum obviously. I got pissed off trying to tune the first one and had to walk away.

I might have to hit you up on Pulleys then.I'll PM you about it.

5,593 Posts
your kidding right? redesign the wheel by making pulleys you can buy for 1/10 the price.

unless Jason you work for $3. an hour

·
The Halo hides my Horns
12,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
your kidding right? redesign the wheel by making pulleys you can buy for 1/10 the price.

unless Jason you work for $3. an hour
Gus, I agree. If it's easier to mod existing pulleys then that's what I'll do. The problem is finding nice looking ones in the size I need.

·
Registered
15,712 Posts
Im not gonna be able to make pulleys from scratch, well i can but it would be time consiming and way more than simply cost prohibitive

gus, all I was thinking about was to chuck up existing pulleys(cast) and just clean off the dull cast surface to make it look better. not reinventing the wheel but dressing it up some, I most certainly dont work for $3 an hour:laughing:

·
The Halo hides my Horns
12,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im not gonna be able to make pulleys from scratch, well i can but it would be time consiming and way more than simply cost prohibitive

gus, all I was thinking about was to chuck up existing pulleys(cast) and just clean off the dull cast surface to make it look better. not reinventing the wheel but dressing it up some, I most certainly dont work for $3 an hour:laughing:
He works for $5 an hour and some beer!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.