Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to replace the oil seals in my forks. I have the forks off the bike and the oil drained and the dust wiper off. I am trying to remove the dampong rod bolt, but the damn thing keeps turning on the inside. :mad I tried pressing a broom handle onto the bolt on the insideof the forks, but the bolt still turns.

Any ideas of how I can get the damping rod bolt out? Thanks.

·
"PC" ,my balls
1,620 Posts
I did fork seals on a friends FZR600 and we disassembled everything we could and then took it to a bike shop. They have a special tool that holds the bolt on the inside. It would be quicker to have the shop do it than wait for the tool.

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
i got no clue but PLEASE dont make more of a costly job then it is...hopefulyl someone can help you...i dont want you to mess it up.

i also too, just took my forks in to get redone...seals, springs, vavles, etc...all traxx stuff. and even at a deal (around 500.00 its still exspensive)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Don't worry about me messing anything up, I'm careful. I may see if I can bring them into a shop just to get the bolt loosened. I wonder if 4&6 would be nice enough to do it?

·
4,985 Posts
Would an impact wrench work? I've heard of guys doing it like that and I brought my impact home this weekend so if ya wanna bring the forks by and try it let me know.

-Ryan

·
long distance
383 Posts
There is one thing to try before going to the shop, put the spring back inside the tube, finger tighten the cap on, then with the impact try the bolt on the bottom of the leg. Spring tension might hold the damper rod enough to break it loose, I have some special tools at my place for this, so I will extend my offer to you as I did Vivid1 , if you feel like drivin to my place Sat. after 3:00pm lemme know, I'll be on this site till 11:00pm tonight, then back on at 7:00am Sat.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys. I appreciate all the offers. I was able to get an impact wrench from a friend. I used the impact wrench and had my friend hold a broomstick onto the damper head. The impact did the job. :D

·
long distance
383 Posts
Justa heads up you may Not be able to get it back together TIGHT with the use of a broomstick also you should use blue loctite on that bolt, if the bolt is not tight it WILL leak, my offer still stands if you need help!

·
Special Agent Lance Boyle
6,704 Posts
I used the spring in-Impact-wrench method when I did the 400. Actually I used a cordless drill and an cut-off allen wrench as a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts