Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
BEER!
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a laptop in the next few days and got some questions about full blown original backup w/ vista. My current computer had a backup program (trial version, enough to make ONE OS backup right at the beginning). Now, computers don't come with any OS backup disks or program to do it. I see Vista has some backup capability, but how easy is it to do? My gf managed to negotiate a decent virus,anti-spam,OS backup from Best Buy's geek squad. However, they were supposed to remove the free software that's included, and it's still got the damn AOL and HP software on it. I'm doubting their abilities and think I could save some cash by doing it myself.

My goal is to have a DVD set with the original factory OS for when the HD crashes. I'm not too techy either, but managed to properly set up the wireless router in a little over an hour.

-Chris

·
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔn&#60
11,372 Posts
actually if your looking to make a back up before you put anything on there you wont have to most computers come with reinstall disks. to save your self time and trouble if it didnt is to call and ask for the restore disks otherwise make a back up of the partition that has the restore stored on it simple

·
BEER!
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
only Toshibas come with reinstall disks now. :(

·
How you like me now?
1,501 Posts
Might not be the best time to buy a Toshiba, as they still have unresolved screen problem.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
When you first buy your PC, uninstall all the useless software that comes with it. The install any software you know you will be using Then get Norton Ghost and make a backup. If anything ever happens, pop the ghost disk in and load the image. The machine will be exactly like you had it when you made the backup. I think this one of the best back up options. Usually you need to load a back up because your OS is beyond repair so this image from when your computer was working fine with no viruses/spyware/etc is perfect. If you install the software first, you won't need to reload any programs either. It also takes less time and work than reinstalling the OS. The only problem is you will lose any files that were on your machine since the back up was created. This isn't so bad, just burn the files you need onto a CD. Load the image and then put the files where you want them.

·
BEER!
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might not be the best time to buy a Toshiba, as they still have unresolved screen problem.
I'm eyeing the HP Pavillion for $750 at Best Buy.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat15107&id=1186007267495
It's the only one I've seen with 2 GB RAM in that price range. GF just picked one up. Takes awhile to load up with Vista. Really, with this, all I want is a backup of the OS. I back up the important files on DVD (Itunes purchased, pR0n) pretty frequently.

·
You got the talkin' done
15,710 Posts
GHOST 10 (or higher)

Do I need to say that any louder?

·
BEER!
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
BEER!
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HPs will alow you to make OS recovery disks once using the Recovery Manager software that they come with
Funny how those sales guys don't mention that. All their geek guys did is run the f'n program. Hell, I can do that at home. They make it sound like it's hellfire and brimstone if you don't back it up before you take it home..and only their competent staff can do it. :jerkit:

·
Irony helps us play!
29,500 Posts
Funny how those sales guys don't mention that. All their geek guys did is run the f'n program. Hell, I can do that at home. They make it sound like it's hellfire and brimstone if you don't back it up before you take it home..and only their competent staff can do it. :jerkit:
They mistake those actions with 'job security'...

·
You got the talkin' done
15,710 Posts
They just want to make sure after you take it home and fuck it up, they can restore. This way they know at least one good image was created. Piece of mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIvN1JtCh3g

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Don't have Geek Squad fix your computers. First off, the prices of Geek Squad are absolutly crazy. Whenever I do side work fixing computers, I charge 1/2 to 1/4 of what Geek Squad charges. I used to work at CompUSA. A 'back up' was ~$120 and the sales guys would always try to sell you a back up when you are buying a machine. Whenever you bring your machine in the service writer would try to sell you a back up as well. I asked the tech guys once exactly what they do in a data back up. The tech guy told me that they take important files off the machine and put them on a external hard drive. Then they burn the files onto a disk. You could do that yourself. The Geek Squad guys don't know what they are doing. They aren't even A+ certified, which is the lowest certification in the computer world. The tech guys at CompUSA told me that they would get alot of customers that would bring their computers after Geek Squad failed to fix the problem.

·
Resident Slow guy
6,770 Posts
but they have such cool VW's :laughing

add another vote for Ghost your base setup. then cds/dvds later

·
Irony helps us play!
29,500 Posts
Don't have Geek Squad fix your computers. First off, the prices of Geek Squad are absolutly crazy. Whenever I do side work fixing computers, I charge 1/2 to 1/4 of what Geek Squad charges.
I do it for free, and that usually turns into someone treating my wife and I to dinner at some point down the line :) :cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts