Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Oh and free/cheap parking if in the city. My old gym was free with tuition, but cost me $3 to park every time I went. I'd rather pay a $40 monthly fee and park for free.

I joined Cardinal Fitness last year and I love it there. It is basic and has just what I need - cardio machines and weights. No pool or towel service though. They have a special that actually ends today of $39 sign up fee as opposed to the $99 sign up. It is only $19.95 per month and you can go to any cardinal fitness. I miss Lifetime but it is too expensive and since it is so big, it requires so much extra park/walk/entrance time. Weird, I know but my gym time is so limited. There is a new LA fitness on Barrington in Hanover/Streamwood...looks nice!

My mom joined that LA fitness on Barrington rd in streamwood. She gave me a guest pass so I could come teach her some stuff on resistance training and meet her lame ass trainer (now fired). The gym was nice, but there was an overwhleming smell of BO in there! I know it's a gym, and we all sweat, but the ventialation must have been bad because it reeked! I almost hurled...

Oh, and the trainer was just great...throw a 68 yr old woman on a treadmill for 40 minutes, set a timer and come check back on her a few times. Real nice. Didn't explain about target heart rate didn't make sure that she was doing ok with her hips (both replaced). The guy was a moron.

Nicole

Nicole

There's an LA Fitness in dt Evanston that opened a few months ago. Was there grabbin' some Cold Stone (yeah, nice and healthy lol) and they offered a promotion for some really cheap deals, but after taking a stroll around the facility, i passed cause 1) too small 2) no wimmenz 3) need to pay for parking by the hour. This was a few months after they opened and what i was told was that they were trying to get a permit to be able to let members get free parking for 2 hours. Very convenient cause i love DT Evanston and it's closer than the Bally's in Morton Grove, but no wimmenz = no motivation.

I wouldnt even put a person with one replaced hip on a treadmill. jeez.
Exactly! A huge pet peeve of mine if how some 'trainers' train clients. Throwing a client on a treadmill for 30 - 40 mins and then doing 10 mins of resistence training is NOT training a client! Clients can do cardio on their own time with the guidelines set by the trainer. I have NEVER paid a trainer so they can watch me do my cardio...thats so stupid.

This guys was an idiot...he prayed on an older woman (who didn't know any better) and who wanted to be more fit...and he was filling his sales quota at her expense.

A Good trainer will evaluatue the client, their fitness level and physical limitations, make a game plan and a plan on how to reach those goals. The moron 'training' my mom didn't do one of these...

Nicole

slightly off topic but over the years my list of "must haves" for gyms have changed to the following:

• nice locker room
  • towel service
  • decent dumbells

anything above and beyond that is a bonus, but those are the must haves.

In addition to your list, my 'needs' are lots of free weights. Room to lift. Able to get a bench or at least able to 'work in'. and some smokin' hot ripped guys posing down in the mirrors in front of me (keeps me motivated!..LOL).

Nicole

My must haves
-Pool
-Enough benches so it doesn't get crowded
-nice dumbells
My must haves

-hawt wimmenz
-ass ton of treadmills so I can hop on and off one at anytime
-that one wave cardio machine where your ass sticks out and it has to be strategically placed in front of my treadmills

this is one of the reasons I work out at ballys in lincoln park.

this is one of the reasons I work out at ballys in lincoln park.
Is this the one on Sheffield and Clark?? How much is parking there? I figure i can swing by there before seeing the bish. Hmmm, Chicago wimmenz vs burb wimmenz.. Do they have any latinas there?:laughing:

Steve is interested. Maybe you two can workout together.
Couple of months ago i got him a membership at xsport and turns out he hates it, so we are gonna come check out the facility.

I work right next to this place, but have a small gym in my building, but a number of folks have signed up to check it out. Mainly for the pool and basketball court. I don't know if they'll like suiting up to walk outside in the winter though???? The best deal I've heard thus far is $64 signup and $40/mth.

Towel service usually represents one of the largest costs to a fitness facility. I know mine always has problems dealing with the costs, logistics of it all.

Nonetheless, get us some guest passes so we can crash the place :)

Discussion starter · #38 ·
There is only one basketball court. I have a feeling it will be used a lot. The pool is nice with 4 lanes. I'm there almost every morning.

There is only one basketball court. I have a feeling it will be used a lot. The pool is nice with 4 lanes. I'm there almost every morning.
Nice.

I swim at UIC or the Park District pool. I'd like to check out the 4 laner over there - since it's brand spankin' new so I can be one of the first ones to pee in the pool :laughing:

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.