Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I'm excited to have found this website and board, I am a member of a similar board for F-bodies (MFBA). Obijuan from a different message forum for bikes refered me to here, so I thank him. Hope that this board can fun, entertaining, and knowledgable as the other one.

I'm a new rider/owner, so my knowledge is near nothing, I purchased a used 2002 R6 with only 300miles on it, I couldn't pass up the deal. I'm actually from Frankfort, which nobody's ever heard of, but is only about 10-15 mins south of orland park.

Guess I'll be talking to you all later

Mike H.

·
3,613 Posts
THANKS OBIJUAN! YOU DA MAN! :D

Welcome, Mike. ;) :cheers

·
Your friendly Crazy Canuk
12,731 Posts
Mike,

Welcome first of all. Second, have you ridden before you bought the R6? The R6 being a great "starter" sport bike, can be a handful if it's truly your first bike. So ride safe. I was lucky to have Jeff MacMillan ( a fellow Canadian) to be my riding buddy, when I first got into sport bikes, Jeff and his crew held the Number one plate in 1984 in the 350 production class, endurance W.E.R.A. So try to find a riding buddy with superior skills and ride every chance you get.

Rick:D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've read enough about the R6 being a dangerous first bike, and I take that to heart. I probably would to have liked to get a smaller bike to start off with, but I really couldn't pass up the deal (got it for $6000). To be perfectly honest, it does scare the sh*t outta me, and I am not comfortable at all driving it by myself. I drove many Quads growing up, but never bikes. I have a very good friend who grew up riding bikes (unfortunately he's without one right now) who is teaching me. Since I got it so late in the season, I haven't even bothered titling or getting plates for it yet. I really want to take the safety class, and get much more expience with it before I take it out in traffic. I have put almost 200 miles on it, just driving on some back roads out in the country. I have no desire to find out what the limits of the bike are, or do I really want to push mine anytime soon.
Mike

·
Your friendly Crazy Canuk
12,731 Posts
Mike,

Take the motorcycle safety class, you'll learn the basics.

Rick

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
:twofinger WELCOME:twofinger

Yeah the R6 can be a bit much, but with self restraint, you shouldn't have many problems. Def take the MSF course. Sign up early as it tends to book up quick.

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
:twofinger Welcome to Our World! :twofinger

I've never known a motorcycle to jump off of it's kickstand and kill anybody... I've never seen a gun jump off of a table and kill anybody, either. Don't be intimidated by your machine, just treat it with the utmost respect and keep your ego from manifesting itself in your right wrist. There's nothing wrong with starting out on an R6, or any other bike for that matter. You can kill yourself on a Buell Blast just as readily as on a Gold Wing or a Hayabusa. Just understand that some bikes are, by their design, more forgiving of 'unintentional input' than others. And "shit happens" exponentially faster on a sportbike! The key is in the maturity level of the rider.

Take your time, go easy, and practice, practice, PRACTICE!!! Find a parking lot where you can practice low-speed maneuvers. Become smooth in your application of throttle, clutch and brake. Seek riding partners that aren't going to (intentionally or otherwise) put you in a position where you feel you have to push harder to keep up.

The MSF beginner course is DEFINITELY the way to go. Sign up as soon as you can (I believe registration opens up online not too long after January 1).

Good luck, and WELCOME!

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
ForbidnR6 said:
I'm actually from Frankfort, which nobody's ever heard of, but is only about 10-15 mins south of orland park.

Mike H.
aahhhh Frankfort. I know the area well. I'm further west of you in Romeoville.

Welcome:cheers :cheers :cheers

·
Registered
899 Posts
:twofinger welcome!:twofinger

Finally someone newer to riding than me :D...

... yeah what they said... TAKE THE MSF COURSE... it helped me out quite a bit... also riding with experienced riders (or maniacs ;)) has also been a big help for me. Look forward to riding with ya...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts