U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D
11,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THE NAPERVILLE SUN
Smile, you're off camera
Red light program stops after officials say it's done its job
November 8, 2007
By Paige Winfield Staff writer
Six months after police installed traffic signal cameras at three Bolingbrook intersections, they are suspending the program.
The purpose of the program was to teach drivers to come to a complete stop at intersections, said Roger Claar, mayor of Bolingbrook. Never intended to be permanent, the cameras have resulted in a drop in accidents, he said.
"We've changed the behavior of drivers, so now we're going to pull it for a few months," Claar said. "It's going to be re-evaluated over the next few months to see if people are violating red lights and right turns on reds."
The cameras were installed in May at Boughton and Weber roads, as well as Schmidt and Pinecrest. Drivers photographed crossing the white line before coming to a complete stop were mailed $100 tickets.
Bolingbrook police report that in the six months since the cameras operated, accidents at the intersections were reduced by an average of 40 percent compared to the same months last year.
Changing driving habits
Traffic tickets issued by the police department skyrocketed under the ever-watchful eyes of the cameras. In July, 2,132 tickets for red-light violations were mailed, compared to 786 tickets handwritten by officers for other traffic violations during that month.
Although ticket recipients complain the enforcement program was all about raising revenue, Claar said it was solely designed to change drivers' habits.
"The percentage of people that violated red lights is astounding," he said.
Claar said police will decide whether to re-start the program next spring, after they spend a few months reviewing accident data and the cameras' effectiveness.
Naperville still go
The decision to suspend the Bolingbrook program will have no effect on plans in Naperville to install four cameras in December, said Naperville Traffic Commander Mike Anders.
City officials are still debating where to place the cameras, which will probably start photographing drivers at the beginning of next year.
"Everything's moving forward right now," Anders said. "Hopefully they will be up and running with an initial 30-day warning period starting in January."
Contact Paige Winfield at [email protected] or 630-416-5275.
interesting.

·
Serious inquiries only
13,775 Posts
$213,132 in July was raised, yeah, they weren't raising revenue, they were teaching a lesson.

If they want to teach a lesson, stop handing out DL's like they're candy. Any idiot can get one.

·
Banned
17,542 Posts
I'm all for this. What i'm against is the difference of the time intervals between the light changes in the city verse the burbs. They don't even give you a chance to make is past the intersection safely. Booshiet.

·
I miss mopar
8,247 Posts
My solution to this...stay in the city, break any traffic law you want and never get pulled over.

·
The Benchwarmer
14,574 Posts
how else are you supposed to yield the results unless you make people not wanting to pay the $100?

imagine if there were no more speeding tickets, you just got pulled over and slapped on the wrist "no speeding!" ... "yes officer" and then right back into it again.

My solution to this...stay in the city, break any traffic law you want and never get pulled over.
:laughing: especially if you have a big TAXI sign on your roof

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
how else are you supposed to yield the results unless you make people not wanting to pay the $100?

imagine if there were no more speeding tickets, you just got pulled over and slapped on the wrist "no speeding!" ... "yes officer" and then right back into it again.

:laughing: especially if you have a big TAXI sign on your roof
How is this any different with paying money? I know I am not the only one but no matter how many tickets I get I will still speed.

·
The Benchwarmer
14,574 Posts
How is this any different with paying money? I know I am not the only one but no matter how many tickets I get I will still speed.
well thats your mentality, if nothing law enforcement can do to slow you down then who knows. for most people they dont speed because they dont want a ticket and realize the safety precautions behind it.

if they enforced it alot more, you'd slow down or lose your license from all the tickets you're willing to get

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
well thats your mentality, if nothing law enforcement can do to slow you down then who knows. for most people they dont speed because they dont want a ticket and realize the safety precautions behind it.

if they enforced it alot more, you'd slow down or lose your license from all the tickets you're willing to get
Let me clarify, I speed within the reason of road conditions and traffic flow. I am not the asshole doing 75 in the snow or weaving in and out of traffic at 80. Your safety precautions is inaccurate I feel. The state makes speed limits low in order to be able to ticket. I don't think doing 45 in a construction zone when there are no workers present is saving any lives.

·
The Benchwarmer
14,574 Posts
Let me clarify, I speed within the reason of road conditions and traffic flow. I am not the asshole doing 75 in the snow or weaving in and out of traffic at 80. Your safety precautions is inaccurate I feel. The state makes speed limits low in order to be able to ticket. I don't think doing 45 in a construction zone when there are no workers present is saving any lives.
I can see that in some places, like where the speed limit drops from 50-55mph to 25mph when you get into a small town thats a speed trap and their only income is tickets. There are certain blatant attempts at ticketing. Some places though desperately need moderation. The corner around my house has accidents like clockwork every month, hell someone and their dog just got run over awhile ago. But no traffic cams there, no police ticketing, its absurd. And if the county or what not makes some money off of peoples carelessness then so be it. 2 birds with one stone, more money for the department/city and reduced statistics.

·
The Halo hides my Horns
12,685 Posts
I don't think doing 45 in a construction zone when there are no workers present is saving any lives.
Actually they changed that tune...studies show that there are more drivers getting injured in crashes from going to fast through uncertain road conditions, then workers getting hurt. So now they say it's for the drivers safety.

·
CLSB's Florida Chapter.,
22,652 Posts
i like to drive in the snow as fast as possible.. god i love my 4wd :laughing:

also i agree with Ian. try running 55mph on any hwy in the state and NOT cause an accident!

·
Model citizen
10,026 Posts
They just don't want to catch any of their officers on camera with a "large object" in the backseat of their personal vehicle

·
CRF50 Squid
9,583 Posts
Then you didn't get enough tickets. Most people speed because they can get away with it, myself included. I bet a couple of thousand dollar fines, suspended licenses and court dates would slow people down though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts