Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
789 Posts
+3 for 33. Today's run 100 times better than yesterday. I think yesterdays issue was food and caffeine related. I ran so early that I hadn't done my typical morning ritual of a breakfast bar and coffee. Weird because i wasn't hungry during that run, my legs just felt really heavy.

· Registered
789 Posts
5 this morning, 46.4 total
Beef, can you hear my footsteps behind you? :)
Yes, I was feeling a bit of pressure from you to get out there and maintain the top spot for as long as possible. Hopefully I can hold you off a little longer with +7 for today. Total until Steve runs again is 52

· Registered
789 Posts
Holy crap! Nice work. Are you training for something?
Yes, I thought you knew that I was in the early weeks of preparing for my first marathon in January. Thanks for the encouragement, I am done with the first third of training and 26 miles still seems like a tall order.

· Registered
789 Posts
What marathon are you running? What training program are you using?
For me 26 miles seemed impossible even after my 1st 20 miler which was pretty far into the training program. But my 2nd 20 mile run went much better and I started feeling the race distance was in doable.
I am doing the 20th Anniversary Disney Marathon in Florida using the Hal Higdon Novice 2 training schedule. Glad to hear that you had similar concerns this early the training as well. I am confident in finishing at all costs, but my real goal is to be able to do it straight through without walking at any point except maybe a water station or two.

· Registered
789 Posts
That's a great goal to have and very attainable. Just don't go out to fast. I did that in my May marathon and it all fell apart at mile 22. It should feel really easy up to 20 miles or so. If you find it feels like work early, slow down.
Am I the only one that feels like slowing down is actually more work or a bigger energy drain? Mind you I am not referring to sprinting speeds here, but the training guides say to go 45 seconds to a minute slower per mile than race pace for most of your regular runs.

· Registered
789 Posts
IMHO for a first time marathoner it's hard to know what your marathon race pace should be unless you have a recent half marathon and a solid base of running under you.
I just picked a pace I thought would be good, and it was for 22 miles (if a marathon were 22 miles I would have been golden) :). The problem for me and some other first timers is that if you over estimate your level of fitness and run to fast it might feel fine all the way up until it doesn't. but then it can be too late, the stored energy is gone and even when you slow down it doesn't stop hurting.
Of coarse the opposite is picking a pace that is below your fitness level and feeling you wasted the effort running below your potential. Fortunately for me, I refuse to believe I'm really as slow as I actually am! My reward for thinking this way is MUCH suffering later in the race.
All that said, It's an awesome feeling when it's over. :cheers:
Steve, hitting a wall in the later part of the race is what concerns me the most, and you are correct in me having no solid idea of what my actual marathon distance pace would be. I do know that I train and run my current distances faster than my Yasso, or whatever that test time is by a minute to a minute and a half per mile.

As the distances increase, it is probably a good idea for me to force myself to do a few long test runs at the slower pace just to see how the body responds. If I survive at the slower pace and I don't feel like I was hit by a truck for the remainder of the day after the long run, then I know that the slower pace is actually the correct one. I am also going to start to incorporate gels into the mix now to see if they can help keep the energy level a little more consistent at the later stages of the long runs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.