Chicagoland Sportbikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, this subject has been brought up before, but in case anyone needs a refresher...

my bro rode down there last weekend and there were about 5 policecars in the gas station (across the street). they were directing motorcycle traffic into the gas station for exhaust "inspections". apparently they were checking for illegal "loud" pipes. there was also a group of 3 sportbike riders who had been stopped at the gas station.

my bro got off without a ticket, since he has oem factory pipes (on his harley... :laughing ). he left the scene, so i don't know if the sportbikes received citations or not. they didn't look happy so i would guess they were cited/fined.

my advice - avoid the immediate area during peak periods like weekends, especially if you have an aftermarket pipe (i know most of us do).

this area has a track record of being anti-motorcycle (for whatever reasoning)

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
thanks for the heads up!!! And we are boycotting that McDonalds incase people didn't know. The don't let bikes go there after 7pm. So we don't give them business(unless you are really hungry and thats all that is close, then we understand).

vcook

·
Premium Member
45,955 Posts
That area is getting to be a pain in the ass in general. I try to stay away from it. I cant wait till lower wacker is all done so I can go blast down there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
the city council has been getting a lot of flak by residents living in the lower floors of condo buildings in that area :rolleyes. bunch of crap if you ask me, that's why i stick to the 'burbs and swissconsin....

·
IDK WTF TO PUT HERE NOW!
2,765 Posts
So what are the db noise regulations anyway? I'm curious especially after having my bike measured @ BHF this past weekend. John (KBOlsen's BF) measured me @ 91db off power coming down the straight, and he said most of the other bikes were @ mid 80 db's. He figured I was probably near 110 db under power.

Man I know my bike is loud, but I don't want to have to aviod places thinking I'm going to get fined. Doesn't really matter. I think in the off season I'm getting a new pipe anyway!
Ciao,
Lupi

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
I'm pretty sure that 105 db is the maximum, but I'm not sure where in the rpm range the reading is taken. If its taken even halfway up the rev range you are fucked, Lupi. That D&D is hella loud, try repacking it.

·
Man with Big Hose
1,432 Posts
you think we have it bad? try going to California........some local tracks have a 100 Db limit!!!!! Most aftermarket pipes race or street don't qualify under that low level!!!!!! i think the standard for off road (i mean anything besides city streets) use is 104Db...I think (someone can clarify that please)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Yet another reason not to hang out downtown. :rolleyes

I should send my dad on his harley down there, maybe they'll make him reduce the noise on his sportster. Damn that bike is annoying :D

Hope my pipe doesn't annoy them much, it's only loud when I really rev my boy :thumbsup (otherwise he's nice and quiet :rofl)

·
IDK WTF TO PUT HERE NOW!
2,765 Posts
Vcook said:
I'm pretty sure that 105 db is the maximum, but I'm not sure where in the rpm range the reading is taken. If its taken even halfway up the rev range you are fucked, Lupi. That D&D is hella loud, try repacking it.
Yeah, I know if I ever get stopped for that it's gonna be BOHICA time!. The can is 4 yrs old now, how often do you think they need re-packed/replaced? How long is a can good for anyways? What's it cost for a re-pack? I was planning on doing something about it this fall, but you'll notice I've started wearing ear plugs! I just feel sorry for you other SOB's that I ride with.

Kim also pointed out a humerous thing about it. If you are staged behind me, you can look all the way down my can/pipe to the bend. (ugh, that sounds weird!) LOL
Ciao,
Lupi

·
No more street...
356 Posts
Lupi said:

I just feel sorry for you other SOB's that I ride with.
Lupi
I woulndn't worry about us SOB's....it's awfully hard to hear you when you're always 3 miles behind us!!! :laughing

·
IDK WTF TO PUT HERE NOW!
2,765 Posts
Jeff with a J said:

I woulndn't worry about us SOB's....it's awfully hard to hear you when you're always 3 miles behind us!!! :laughing
Oh, you're thinking of Grover! Remember I'm in the 5 seconds behind group, not the 5 minutes behind! LOL
Ciao,
Lupi

·
Registered
528 Posts
Exhaust Laws

Ok, since the question has been raised, here's the IL Vehicle Code Statute as it pertains to vehicle/ motorcycle exhaust:

Sec. 12-602. Mufflers, prevention of noise.
Every motor vehicle driven or operated upon the highways of this
State shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler or exhaust
system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any
excessive or unusual noise. No such muffler or exhaust system shall be
equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device. No person shall modify
the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or
increase the noise of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler
originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall
comply with all the requirements of this Section.

According to some of the po po's I've spoken to this is what it means: No matter what decibel level your aftermarket pipe is putting out at any rpm, if it's louder than what was originally installed on your bike it's considered illegal. IMO, this law SUCKS
:mad !! If a Harley with a stock pipe on it puts out 103 decibels any aftermarket pipe put on it afterwards up to that level is o.k. HOWEVER, If a stock sportbike puts out 85 decibels then it cannot exceed that level with an aftermarket pipe. Suck's don't it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
i talked to the local PD about this not too long ago and according to illinois law, anything other than stock is illegal (the book says something like "anything deemed offensive" which leaves the legality of the pipe to be determined by the officer :bs). what the city mandates may be something totally different because of all the apartments and buildings and crap. i know my bike stock is 83dB at 4300 rpm. but then you get the harley's riding on stock exhaust that are loud as hell.

so i think that as long as you have stock pipes you shouldn't have to worry, no matter how old they are.

ride on, ride hard

~just enjoy the ride~

·
IDK WTF TO PUT HERE NOW!
2,765 Posts
LOL, well then if I am ever cited on this I'll get bent over. The D&D is loud as hell, and will stay that way till the end of the year. At which point I will probably just get a replacement. I've all ready got a small laundry list of things to do with the bike, so I'll just add that one on!
Ciao,

PS,
If anyone has a db reader, Id be curious to borow it for an afternoon!

·
CLSB SuperHero
1,808 Posts
I actually saw a report on this on Fox news a couple weeks ago. They were doing a story of all the loud pipes on motorcycles. Gotta love the media.:twofinger

·
Premium Member
45,955 Posts
What a pain in the ass. How about pulling over all the lowered, huge wing on the back, 47 inch wheeled civics out there for thier big fart can exhausts. I only have slip ons and my bike is definatly quite in comparison to others. Time to pull off the two brothers badge.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not only them but what about all of the sports cars out there with V8 engines and jacked up exhaust!!!..........Better yet all the pick 'em up trucks out there creating the same noise. Are these people getting targeted? This is crap, it is just another way for the man to bring us down!!!!

Stupid Man!:(

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
I live on a sidestreet that has a 4 way stop nearby. Out of all the loud vehicles I hear... 30% are cruisers, 10% are sportbikes, 40% are ricers, 20% are old POS cars (mine included sometimes), and 10% are pick-up trucks with loud pipes (probably harley owners :jester)

Picking on sportbikes is BS unless you're going to nail everyone else. It's discriminatory. But according to the law anything aftermarket is illegal. Your owners manual even says so, and the pipe you bought probably said for off road/cometiton use only. So basically we have nothing to complain about other than being singled out.

·
Tgf Og
9,851 Posts
Lupi said:

I'm in the 5 seconds behind group, Lupi
5 seconds???????????:bs :bs :twofinger :twofinger

·
Cuddlie as a koala
7,519 Posts
First how are they measuring the db? By stickign the mic into the can? If so thats the WRONG way to measure db's. Feds do it by mounting the mic 30" off the ground and have the bike ride by 1 meter away in top gear at 40mph. Hell a stock pipe would bust 100 easily at full revs with the mic in teh pipe stationary.:mad

1 - 20 of 24 Posts