Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok talked to some shops for estimates and most ofthe rates are like $75 - $125 an hour and that is just the labor I refuse !!!!!!!! to pay that when the info to do it myself is readily available so I will try to bug the board as little as possible but oddy I just can't do it at $70-$100 just to look at it. If I have to personally remove every bolt,screw, washer and nut so be it. :mad

oh yeah rabbit I may be calling you :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,186 Posts
bnutz24 said:
ok talked to some shops for estimates and most ofthe rates are like $75 - $125 an hour and that is just the labor I refuse !!!!!!!! to pay that when the info to do it myself is readily available so I will try to bug the board as little as possible but oddy I just can't do it at $70-$100 just to look at it. If I have to personally remove every bolt,screw, washer and nut so be it. :mad
4&6 is much cheaper. To be honest, whenever I've had a bike worked on you have to go in with the attitude "it costs whatever it cost" so many things are unforseen and we have an expensive hobby here so we need to realize these big repair bills come up. I know it sucks but you can't just buy a machine that you or someone else has beat on for a good part of its useful life and not expect something to go wrong and cost you some dough.:D :cheers :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
45,956 Posts
bnutz24 said:
so I will try to bug the board as little as possible but oddy I just can't do it at $70-$100 just to look at it. If I have to personally remove every bolt,screw, washer and nut so be it. :mad

oh yeah rabbit I may be calling you :D
This is what the board is here for, ask away. I iknow I dont mind ansering your questions and I'm sure others dont either. Plus yur gonna learn a lot more this way instead of just writing a big ass check.

Why dont you sit down and write up a list of all the problems with the bike and we will attack them one at a time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,186 Posts
Re: Re: ok now it's personal!!!!!!:mad

GsxrTony said:


This is what the board is here for, ask away. I iknow I dont mind ansering your questions and I'm sure others dont either. Plus yur gonna learn a lot more this way instead of just writing a big ass check.

Why dont you sit down and write up a list of all the problems with the bike and we will attack them one at a time.
Just to add to that.

I told you about a month ago to bring it by some night and we could go over it with a fine tooth comb. Erick lives close too, we could borrow his carb syncro and take care of that to. It would also give us an idea about any compression problems you may or may not have.;)

Like Tony said. I for one am happy to help so ask away, but remember the truth can be expensive even if you do it yourself.;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
45,956 Posts
Re: Re: Re: ok now it's personal!!!!!!:mad

Crazy said:


Just to add to that.

I told you about a month ago to bring it by some night and we could go over it with a fine tooth comb. Erick lives close too, we could borrow his carb syncro and take care of that to. It would also give us an idea about any compression problems you may or may not have.;)

Like Tony said. I for one am happy to help so ask away, but remember the truth can be expensive even if you do it yourself.;)
I really dont think theyres anything expensive wrong with that bike, I think it was just neglacted by the last owner. Hell the carbs were just slapped in there. I am betting that duct tape fiend did more shoddy work than just that. A little TLC and that thing will run just fine. Now we just need to find some plastic for it. I bet shugg could get some at a good price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
actually the bill doesn't bother me much what bothers me is alot of shops refuse to look unless you contract up front for them to do the work so you are a slave to that shop for instance if I could have it looked at and the shop tells me I need a ring job at $500 + parts I think I should have the oppertunity to call 4&6 and say hey I need a ring job on such and such bike I have and est at $500 what would be your ball park figure for a job like this? that way I know I am not getting robbed or I am getting a reasonable price. this insecurity most likey is caused by my newnest to the sport and lack of knowledge on price points. I.E when I was pricing painting some new plastics I thought I gor a good price at $1k then talked to oddt and found I could get what I wanted for like $500 - $600. :confused I just feel like I am between rock and a hard place.:(
 

·
YO MAMA
Joined
·
60,258 Posts
:( bnutz...dude i hope i didnt give you the impression you are bugging us:laughing dude ask away anything ya want..we all and myself are here to help.
i just know its VERY agravating to be working on the bike and spending money and the darn thing isnt working right still:confused

dont sweet it...every bike gets into there problem stages.

so again bro...ask anything ya need info for.

shit man i would help you work on it if i had some time..its
CRAZY right now with some of the stuff i got going on right now..even my wife is bitching at me for not spending time with her.

change then wires....you can do that easyly...and see how that help.....a jumping spark would make the bike pop and miss thats for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Re: Re: ok now it's personal!!!!!!:mad

Crazy said:


Just to add to that.

I told you about a month ago to bring it by some night and we could go over it with a fine tooth comb. Erick lives close too, we could borrow his carb syncro and take care of that to. It would also give us an idea about any compression problems you may or may not have.;)

Like Tony said. I for one am happy to help so ask away, but remember the truth can be expensive even if you do it yourself.;)
I just felt bad at that time you had alot going on (so I thought) trying to get ready for valpo boys and I didn't want to just dominate your time as I thought you were helping a few others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,186 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: ok now it's personal!!!!!!:mad

bnutz24 said:


I just felt bad at that time you had alot going on (so I thought) trying to get ready for valpo boys and I didn't want to just dominate your time as I thought you were helping a few others.
It's kool dude I can find time.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Odysseys said:
i just know its VERY agravating to be working on the bike and spending money and the darn thing isnt working right still:confused
[/B]
I have no prob spending the money as long as I know some progress is being made. it just pisses me off when I go into shops and see all the guys smoking and talking and I linger quite awhile but when I ask about work they say they are backed up until october. also there was a thread on here where someones bike was in the shop for something minor but it was there a month and was still not done. I mean I understand about getting backed up but I think some of it is just to keep something going in the shop which I have no prob with but also are you telling me fudged numbers because I know no better I think given time and finding a shop I am comfortable with would solve my anti-shop mentality I keep hearing 4&6 so I may have to visit with some of you guys just to talk and feel them out. this stems from having a grandfather who was a mechanic (auto) and seeing him blow hole in shops for the things I am describing so I figure if it happens in auto shops why not m/c shops. give me time and who knows the slightest ping may send me running to a shop :)

sorry so long just trying to give a little background
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
I try to help as often as I can...may not be able to go and ride as much as others, but I can always go into MY garage..:laughing :eek:t

I have a carb synch tool (been a while since I used it), the service manual for 89-93 600's, my old 93 600 katana that can be used for a reference sitting in my garage still.....and Ken & Tony both just 5 min away from me, what more could you need?:D :twofinger


Maybe Tony's tapper?:laughing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,186 Posts
Y2KR1 said:
I try to help as often as I can...may not be able to go and ride as much as others, but I can always go into MY garage..:laughing :eek:t

I have a carb synch tool (been a while since I used it), the service manual for 89-93 600's, my old 93 600 katana that can be used for a reference sitting in my garage still.....and Ken & Tony both just 5 min away from me, what more could you need?:D :twofinger


Maybe Tony's tapper?:laughing
Hey...I'm close to you too. I want in on Tony's tapper.:D :D :laughing :laughing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok so let me get this straight I can come and take over your garage for a couple hours if needed and trick ohhh ummm I mean get the other guys over (Buy alot of beer :laughing ) and that is ok ???? y2kr1 you are the man :thumbsup

BTW how much beer do you think would be needed to get oddy ,tony, and crazy over??:confused don't worry when the wife's not looking we'll slip you a few :laughing

hmmm thinking about it might be cheaper to get a keg :rofl
 

·
.
Joined
·
4,985 Posts
Hey bnutz as the owner of the least reliable bike on CLSB (maybe second least reliable since you came along :D ) I have alot of experience fixing all the silly little problems that come with owning a severely neglected and abused bike. I'm willing to help as well and Park Forest is not too far from here. Just let me know a day ahead of time so I can bring tools home from work (spend too much on tools for work to spend anything on tools for home :rolleyes ). Hey if there's beer and grease involved I'm there :cheers .

-Ryan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
bnutz... I know how you feel man:mad I had some flush carbon fiber turn signals put on my bike at a shop, only cause I didn't have the specific tool... 2 hours later there asking for $125:evil
Ever since then I just bye a 12 pack grab all my tools and spend the night in the garage if i have to!
One thought on all the tech's at the shop's :twofinger


I got a question on my bike if NE one can answer? What is a good brand of under tail that I can still keep my turn signals with:confused


Check out the project!!!! My baby :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Well, we doing anything ?:laughing :twofinger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I tell you if I thought the bike would make it I would be there but give me a min. this will happen soon :) :cheers :twofinger
 

·
Give 'em hell guys!!
Joined
·
184 Posts
bnutz24 said:
actually the bill doesn't bother me much what bothers me is alot of shops refuse to look unless you contract up front for them to do the work so you are a slave to that shop for instance if I could have it looked at and the shop tells me I need a ring job at $500 + parts I think I should have the oppertunity to call 4&6 and say hey I need a ring job on such and such bike I have and est at $500 what would be your ball park figure for a job like this?
I know that that was an example, but unless you completly diagnose the bike you could be asking for problems if you call a shop and tell them to fix one thing when there could be multiple problems with the bike. When I worked at 4&6, many customers would tell us exactly what to fix, didn't want us to fix anything else, and their bike still wasn't right because of other problems. You should take up your friends offer's to diagnose or fix your bike, or 4&6 can do it for you. Take it to 4&6 and tell them the bike has some problems and ask them to look at the bike and tell you what it needs, they will not add on unneccesary work to pad the bill, they will tell you straightforward what it will take to get your bike right. If after they diagnose your bike you don't want them to do the work you would just have to pay them for their time diagnosing the bike. Give Jim a call, he'll take good care of you.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top