Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went into the local shop today and saw a triumph TT600. how good/bad are triumphs? also how expensive are they to keep up? also compare the 600 tt to the r6 and the f4i as it stands looks like the kat may be hitting the market now it is running correctly and can bring in a decent penny with a little more work. Now all of this is in the "MAYBE" stage not sure what I want to do but I do know I want a new bike for next season. if the kat is not spoken for by october I will order the new body panels get a decent paint job and put back on the market in march. like I said MAYBE I am thinking about this at this point. but need more info on the bikes I want first and how much I can sock away the tt600 is like 7k out the door New. but I need to ride a light bike to find out how they handle compared to the kat to make a better decision I may not want a feather weight I may need to take my time and move from heavy weight to middle class. just looking for honest intelligent opinions.:confused

thanks in advance guys:twofinger

G

·
As far as the differences between the F4i,TT600 and R6, I think Cherrypicker can help you out with that. I believe he has rode all 3 bikes and could give sum input on the pros and cons of them all.

The SMART choice....RIDE RED :thumbsup :rofl

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Well, I've ridden the F4i and an R6. My opinion is if you are going to do mostly street riding, then get the F4i. It's ergos are better for the street. The clipon height is enduro-esk compared to the R6. It's a more forgiving bike.

The R6 is the better looking of the 2, has an aggressive stance (clipons lower and forward, rearsets higher than F4i). It's also very twitchy and the tranny is clunkier than the F4i (typical for Yamaha).

I'm not saying you couldn't go on a long tour on the R6, because I have taken it on long trips, but the F4i is more street friendly, in my opinion.

As for the TT... I'll let Cherry share his thoughts.

Doc

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
The TT is a unique bike. I rides very smooth, handles as good as the rest, has great brakes. My only complaint in the FI still needs some development. It's a little jerky at part throttle settings. It also down a couple ponies, but not enough to matter. Both little problems are nothing a PCIII and a full system can't solve for about $800.

However, at 7k out the door, the only thing better might be a good deal on a used F4i. I'd first try sitting on a bunch of 600's and see which feels the best to you.

·
BEER!
5,970 Posts
I personally like the TT600. It's definately unique among the sportbiking crowd. It supposedely (the '01s) had a 'glitch' in the fuel injection that made it hiccup at lower RPMs. But that glitch may be (most likely-is) so small that only the magazine riders (people who get to ride tons of bikes for money) can spot it. Also, they all agreed this problem was fixed for '02 and it's now comparable to the big four. Brian and Cherrypicker's input would be good here since Brian's is an '01.

I like the TT600. But I lust for the Speed Four. It's a TT600 retuned for a bit more midrange (but less horsepower) and has virtually no plastic. :D

Now, if it wasn't for that damn fire destroying most of the Speed Fours. :(

Chris

·
Wannabe racer
2,360 Posts
The fuel injection can very easily be fixed without any additional hardware. There is a guy in Australia that TurboSpeedTripple knows who has a cable and software that allow you to remap you own fuel injection. Plus on their board they have lots of different maps you can download depending on what other aftermarket stuff you have on the bike.

As far as which one to get you have to find the one that fits you, and your needs. Ask the Triumph dealer for a test ride, as weird as it sounds usually those types of dealers are a little more willing to let you test ride, because they base a large volume of their sales on returning customers.

Check out MCC, they carry triumph and have been a great dealer from my experiences with them.

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
I've ridin Brians TT and I've owned an F4. I really both bikes. But one thing that does stand out on the TT is the brakes. My god I thought my eye balls were gonna pop out when I went to grab them the way I grab my Busa brakes. I almost endo'd the thing right there. Just a lite tap sends you into a nose dive. Otherwise both bike hadle very simularly. I give the TT points for being different, not eveyone has them like an F4. But I give the F4 points for honda reliability. So if Had to but one of them I would go triumph. I like to work on bikes so I wouldnt be worried about about the reliabilty.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
my recommendation would be to buy the R6 or the F4i. I am no expert, but, i would imagine the parts for those two, especially the F4i would be a dime a dozen. Plus, I would imagine that more people would know how to work on these bikes better since more people ride them and there are more dealers for these around.....unless of course, money isn't an issue.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input keep it coming I have to find a honda dealer near me to sit on the f4i the one thing I thought as soon as I sat on the TT is I have to change the seat very little padding but that was just a 2 min assesment in the show room I am really liking the way the TT looks and I haven't seen many on the scene I like that too the other thing that stands out is the warrenty I am not sure but I think the f4i has 1 year unlimited miles where the TT has 2 year unlimited miles I like that extra year. :thumbsup

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
bnutz24 said:
Thanks for the input keep it coming I have to find a honda dealer near me to sit on the f4i the one thing I thought as soon as I sat on the TT is I have to change the seat very little padding but that was just a 2 min assesment in the show room I am really liking the way the TT looks and I haven't seen many on the scene I like that too the other thing that stands out is the warrenty I am not sure but I think the f4i has 1 year unlimited miles where the TT has 2 year unlimited miles I like that extra year. :thumbsup
I don't know about you but it would only take me a couple of days to void that waranty anyway:D

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Crazy said:

I don't know about you but it would only take me a couple of days to void that waranty anyway:D

that's true too :rofl didn't really think about that soon as I add the pc3 it's pretty much gone

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
bnutz24 said:
If something is going to break, it will happen in the first year. You can also purchase a extended warranty for a couple hundred dollars, but it's a Honda, it's pretty much bullet proof. I ride the shit out of mine and it's fine and has 28k miles on it. The TT is still a new bike, nobody knows what the reliability is long term.

I think there is a big dealer in Matteson. You can also take my bike for a short spin sometime if you're on a ride. But I have SS lines, a rear shock and a full system, so it's not a fair comparison performance wise.

Also if you have good credit, Honda usually has some really good financing deals. The TT may cost less, but the Hionda also has a higher resale value.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok did a little more research today and narrowed it down to two bikes now to find the best deal and get rid of the kat . it's down to the f4i or the r6 the TT had very little aftermarket parts in relation to the other two and maintance is cheaper on the r6 and the f4i and parts are easier to find. now the final cut will be made on test ride and deal possibility so cherry I would like to take you up on your offer one day before the season is over. Now to try and find a way to ride an r6 to compare.:D

maybe i can get a feel on an r1 (hint hint) :jester maybe a nice blue one I know of :laughing

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
bnutz24 said:
Ok did a little more research today and narrowed it down to two bikes now to find the best deal and get rid of the kat . it's down to the f4i or the r6 the TT had very little aftermarket parts in relation to the other two and maintance is cheaper on the r6 and the f4i and parts are easier to find. now the final cut will be made on test ride and deal possibility so cherry I would like to take you up on your offer one day before the season is over. Now to try and find a way to ride an r6 to compare.:D

maybe i can get a feel on an r1 (hint hint) :jester maybe a nice blue one I know of :laughing
Huge difference between R6 and R1. Not to mention my forks are re-worked and I have a full system. It wouldn't really do you much good to compare an R6 with my bike. The whole frame is even different.;)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Crazy said:

Huge difference between R6 and R1. Not to mention my forks are re-worked and I have a full system. It wouldn't really do you much good to compare an R6 with my bike. The whole frame is even different.;)
I figured that I just wanted to ride your bike:rofl

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
You could come down to Cherry and I's neck of the woods and test ride them both ;) Although, mine isn't close to stock specs.

Doc

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
that would be awesome let me check my work schedule and get back with you and cherry. you two are like 20 mins south of me I think maybe one day this weekend before noon or something thanks guys :thumbsup

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
I have my F4i and my buds R6 in my garage...I've ridden both back to back many times before the were souped up. The R6 was designed as an all out track bike. The F4i handles the street duties much better than the R6 and almost as well on the track. A few mods gets it up to speed real quick, but these will cost you. New rearsets for starters are necessaery for track duty ($350). The R6 riding position is very aggressive and it is really likes to dive into turns; it can be twitchy at times. Get a steering damper. You can ride the F4i through anything. It is the easist to ride fast. Reliability and quality goes along way for me; Honda has an advantage here.

The R6 is still carburated, so if you plan on working on it to boost the ponies some more, it will be more difficult and more costly. The fuel injection is a great improvement and I still can not undersatnd why the R6 remains carburated. The R6 looks slightly better, but the same old red and blue choices for the last few years is getting old. The F4i is almost as nicely styled, plus when I saw the silver and black I knew that was what I wanted.

Here are some performance specs from the mag when they rated them last year.

It's kind of blurry, but the pure numbers show that the F4i has the slightly quicker quarter mile times. It really pulls away from the R6 in the roll-ons. The key factor is that the F4i pulls alot smoother and faster in the midrange where it really matters most. Smooth useable power is most important; the R6 has a really bad dip in the power band from 4-5k that cannot be smoothed out. The racers around here will tell you that means nothing because on the track you are never in that range. However, unless you are a racer, you will be in that range alot.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks cruz You have given the f4i another step up I am trying to get away from carbs. so now it is all on the test ride.:thumbsup

1 - 20 of 43 Posts