Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Must... brake... later...
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Already I've lost too much sleep over this matter, so I am soliciting the opinion/support of my fellow CLSBer's. Please no flaming, but your constructive comments would be so appreciated. Thank you in advanced. Ok, so here's the situation:

I purchased a '01 Ducati 748S this past May. I always wanted one, and I jumped on a great opportunity (read CHEAP!) for a barely used one. After a couple of months riding it and being a part of the Ducati camp, I realized it ain't that great of a bike. I enjoyed the mystique of owning an Italian machine, but compared to my R6, it was underpowered and didn't handle that much better. I had the opportunity to take both these bikes on the track this summer and found the R6 to be more comfortable to ride. Now, mind you I am new to the track and haven't found the perfect setup for either bike, but my initial impression was in favor of the R6.

Here's the 2nd part of the equation:

I am for sure getting an R1-- either at the end of this season (so I can pick up a smoking deal on a '02) or at the beginning of next season.

The dilemma:

I don't know which one to get rid of: R6 vs. Duc 748S. I will primarily use the bike I stick with on the track and ride the R1 on the street. Now this arrangement is flexible, but I think that's how the chips will fall at this juncture.

If I stay with the R6, for all intents and purposes I'll make it my track bike. Probably changing the fairings, pulling off lights, re-spring the suspension, etc. etc. However, if I stay with the Duc, I'll ride it at the track, but occassionally ride it on the street as well. I don't think I would go all out and make it a dedicated track bike.

Now I don't know how serious I'll get into track days, but I *hope* to hit the track once a month during the riding season. Maybe I'll decide to make the R1 the track bike later on.... who knows.

If I sell the Duc, it would be on a trade-in for the R1. Anyone have an idea how much I would get for it? If I sell the R6, I have a friend that is ready to hand me the money.

Let's see... anything else? I have about 12k miles on the R6 and 2500 miles on the Duc. I like variety, so the thought of having 2 Yamahas in my garage isn't that appealing to me but it isn't a major concern. I love the V-twin sound and sex appeal of the Duc. I've modified the Duc to where I want it to be. Don't think I will be dropping any more $$$ into it. The R6 was my first bike, so I have a very strong sentimental attachment to it.

Sorry for the rambling... If you have any suggestions/comments/rocks to throw at me, please PM, e-mail, or reply on the board. The first 2 are probably the best. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for your input!

Dave

·
M109R
562 Posts
mikdivad said:
After a couple of months riding it and being a part of the Ducati camp, I realized it ain't that great of a bike. I enjoyed the mystique of owning an Italian machine, but compared to my R6, it was underpowered and didn't handle that much better.
Dave
I think that pretty much speaks for itself

Dave [/B][/QUOTE]
I had the opportunity to take both these bikes on the track this summer and found the R6 to be more comfortable to ride. Now, mind you I am new to the track and haven't found the perfect setup for either bike, but my initial impression was in favor of the R6.

Dave [/B][/QUOTE]

Now i in my own opinion ggo for the better ride with the comfort zone. I don't know your age but us older guys like to be comfortable while ridding :-

If your back feels like crap after you ride i'll say :nono on keeping the bike no matter how sweet it looks

my $0.02

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I would get rid of the 748. Not because I am a loyal R6 fan, but rather that it is a better track bike. If you really intend on doing that many days, your experience and ability will grow. Not that it will happen, but there is a chance you will go down. The R6 will be a lot cheaper to fix than the Duc. Besides, all around it is a better bike for the track.

Doc

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
doc about summed it up but I would keep the Duc just cause its a Duc. But the R6 would be a better track bike.

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I appreciate all your responses. Please keep them coming, because they are being very helpful. I like how I am hearing arguments for both bikes. I'll probably make a decision by the end of this week. Maybe I should make a poll out of this... How do you go about doing that??? Any admins who can help on this?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I vote for option 3 if possible...

KEEP BOTH BIKES AND GET THE R1!:evil

·
(no comment)
353 Posts
Doc summed it up best. If it's for the track, choose the bike that works best and is way cheaper to repair. You've owned the 748, you know what it's about, and you can always tell people that. The R1/R6 combo is a good one.

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's some more rambling thoughts:

I'm not sure how involved I am going to get with track days/racing. Undoubtedly it's the greatest adrenaline rush on 2 wheels, however it is tremendously expensive!!! Like I mentioned in the post, I'm going to try to go about once a month during the riding season. So that poses this question-- Do I want to keep the R6 as a dedicated track bike???

Definitely the R6 is the track bike to have over the Duc, but I'm questioning the cost and time effectiveness of converting that bike to a track-only machine. I'll have the R1 to ride on the streets and the occassional track day, but I may not even go once a month to warrant a dedicated track bike. And the Duc is no slouch as a track bike. It may be slightly underpowered compared to the R6, but frankly speaking, I'm never going to reach the full performance potential of either of these bikes on the track. Maybe 85% but realistically I'm no prof. racer.

So the Duc has poser value, and maybe it does matter more than I thought. The R1 will definitely fill the Yamaha void that the R6 will leave, and if the reviews I've read are accurate, the R1 handles just as sharply as a 600cc but with a significant horsepower difference. R1 looks just as sharp as an R6 too.

Here I go again rambling my thoughts...

Dave :confused

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Doc's got the idea. And you said it yourself. The track is expensive. It will be alot more expensive if you keep the Duc for the track.

·
habitual line stepper
3,235 Posts
I like riding the RC on the track because it's different. An R6 is actually faster and probably better handling on most tracks, but still the RC is fun. I'd see the Duc being the same way. It's different, not the fastest, but a lot of fun.

I'd worry about cost. The Duc is more expensive than the R6, probably less dependable, and more work to maintain. But you're in a good position in that you have a second bike if the Duc isn't working.

I rode my R1 on the track a few times and loved it. I love the bike period but I always worried about laying it down knowing that crash repair would be expensive and would hurt its resale value. How would you feel about crashing the Duc? What about the R6?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I was just going to ask the same question Jack!!!:D I would like to convert mine to the track too, but the $$ doesn't warrant it right now. I had the same objective in mind as you, do one track day a month. Well, I did 6 track days this summer and I went down 2x. It was bound to happen and in both cases, I wouldn't say it was rider error. So, you have to put a little bit of weight to the answers to Jack's questions.

In case you were wondering, the R6 does crash pretty good. The second get off didn't cost me a thing :laughing

Doc

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
I'd keep the one that you would be most comfortable crashing. If you are doing a lot of track days and more especially, contemplating going racing, crashing is almost a given. The R6 will be cheaper to maintain as a track bike.

I can appreciate the desire to keep the Duc tho... Tough choice!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
:eek:t I guess your definition of rider error and mine are different. I didn't go too hot into the turn, I didn't get spooked by someone else up my ass :twofinger , and I was riding w/in my abilities. I just leaned it over (w/ plenty of lean left) and I so happened to be too close to the apron. When on the track, I don't think about something that isn't directly in my path of the bike. So happens, the apron was closer than I thought, but I never thought I was anywhere even remotely close to it. Any more clarification needed?:twofinger

Doc

·
Wannabe racer
2,360 Posts
Value of a bike is only in what it brings the rider.

Riding a Duc on the track I think would be an awesome experience, but it is definitely going to be more expensive. So if you are already worried about the cash for trackdays, why make them more expensive than they are already going to be?

Keep in mind riding any bike on the track, you seriously run the risk of losing the entire bike, not just the cost of repairs. It's not likely to happen but if you ride a bike that you can realistically face losing the entire value of it will likely enable you to overcome certain fears and not run into as many survival reactions as worrying about it.

My suggestion would be to leave your situation the way it is, run next season using the R6 on the track without converting it to a track bike. Maybe search for some used plastics, or frame sliders. Give yourself a season to decide which part of riding interests you the most. Track vs. Street. If you find they equally interest you then, spend approx the same amount of money on each.

Also evaluate why are you going to the track? Is it just to improve your riding on the street, or is it because you want to push your riding limits? If you want to push the envelope eventually you will crash. How bad, or how expensive it will be may vary but be comfortable with the idea that you could lose the whole ancholata in one brief second.

Sorry Rich have to use you as an example here. No offense to him, Rich was riding excellent the day he crashed on the track, and had he been in a different spot on the track his damage would've been repairable. However luck had it the bike caught the rumble strip flipped, and well it is now toast. Not trying to scare you, just trying to keep in perspective how much $$$ you stand a chance at loosing.

I say hold off a year and re-evaluate then. You haven't even done the track scene enough yet to truly know what your interest level is going to be. You may end up wanting to sell both bikes for one perfect track bike becase you never want to ride on the street again. :laughing Just think about it, and actually go through the experience before you make a decision.

There will always be new bikes you want, and there will always be good deals on left over models, even at the end of next year. So evaluate what the need to make a decision now is, and do what works best for you and what you want to do with your riding.

·
CLSB SuperHero
1,808 Posts
Well I'll throw in my .02. If you want your second bike to be solely for the track, then the R6 is the one to keep. For the reasons stated above...Cost to repair is cheaper, and overall is probably a better track bike. Plus, I would be jealous of someone having both an R6 and an R1.:D

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
:eek:t :eek:t

Dang. Fix that Sig Dave. You throw off the layout of every thread you post in:mad :D :D

·
3,613 Posts
Crazy said:

Dang. Fix that Sig Dave. You throw off the layout of every thread you post in:mad :D :D

Wow, I think it's time to up your screen resolution, Crazy. :D :twofinger

·
Wannabe racer
2,360 Posts
maks said:

Wow, I think it's time to up your screen resolution, Crazy. :D :twofinger
That's what I was going to say, if you are running anything above 640x480 it should be fine. But I'll get rid of it so that people can read happily ever after. :laughing

·
Registered
264 Posts
take off all the supreme parts off the duc and put them on the
r6. then trade your duc in:evil

1 - 20 of 27 Posts