Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Moderator,
23,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The oddest thing happened, or is failing to happen. My PC won't turn on. Not at all. I push the power button and nothing happens.

I recently upgraded most of the components, including the power supply. My first thought is that it went bad, but it's practically brand new.

I checked all the connections to everything and they are all firm. I'm stumped, I've never had this problem before.

What do you guys think?

·
Cruising through life
2,173 Posts
i think that you are a genious that you were somehow able to post without getting the power to turn on. the force is strong with you

·
Moderator,
23,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:lmao: I'm on my work laptop. If this one goes out my wife has a laptop of her own.

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
Put a volt meter to the power supply connectors

·
Irony helps us play!
29,500 Posts
Does the fan even begin to try to budge when you hit the button?

Make sure the power supply is set for 110V 60hz (I've seen some switched for non US voltage before).

Beyond that, every time I've personally had this sort of a problem it was due to a short w/ the case (usually from the MB not being properly propped up on those stupid plastic spacers).

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Try these if you already haven't.

1) Open the case make sure up have power going to the PC. Check to see if there is a green light on the mother board.

2) Check if the cable from the power button to the mother board is connected.

3) When plugging in the power supply check to see if the power supply turns on for a moment. I've seen some power supplys do this.

·
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin
8,791 Posts
I had something similar. I have an external 2.0 USB hub and it came unplugged. The 2.o was drawing so much power from the computer it would not turn on. Maybe your problem is similar?

If not slide the fork tubes up to compensate.

·
Moderator,
23,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does the fan even begin to try to budge when you hit the button?

Make sure the power supply is set for 110V 60hz (I've seen some switched for non US voltage before).

Beyond that, every time I've personally had this sort of a problem it was due to a short w/ the case (usually from the MB not being properly propped up on those stupid plastic spacers).
Nope, the fans don't budge and the power supply is set for 110v. The mobo is where its supposed to be and the spacers are on right.

Try these if you already haven't.

1) Open the case make sure up have power going to the PC. Check to see if there is a green light on the mother board.

2) Check if the cable from the power button to the mother board is connected.

3) When plugging in the power supply check to see if the power supply turns on for a moment. I've seen some power supplys do this.
1) No green light. I know the one you are talking about, but its not on right now. Hmmmm.....

2) Yep it is plugged in firm.

3) Nope, the fan doesn't move at all when I plug the cable into the back.

Bad power supply?

·
Moderator,
23,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had something similar. I have an external 2.0 USB hub and it came unplugged. The 2.o was drawing so much power from the computer it would not turn on. Maybe your problem is similar?

If not slide the fork tubes up to compensate.

I unplugged everything except the monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Still nothing.

How high should I slide the fork tubes? I'm thinking 4 inches. ;)

·
Fornello Del Testicolo
410 Posts
you need a custom map.:laughing:

Do you have the old power supply? That's the first thing I would try, another PSU. Most of the components with issues I've run across had them right away.

·
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP
11,947 Posts
Sounds like the motherboard might be dead. You need to test the power supply with either a VOM, tester, or another computer. If the PSU is good, I'd say mobo=bad.

·
Moderator,
23,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The old PSU is pretty old and won't power the new mobo, cpu, and graphics card.

Everything was working perfectly a few weeks ago. I haven't touched the PC until now and it won't turn on. Very odd, isn't it?

·
Moderator,
23,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like the motherboard might be dead. You need to test the power supply with either a VOM, tester, or another computer. If the PSU is good, I'd say mobo=bad.
I guess I'll go buy a VOM. Can I get one a Best Buy?

Also, I've never used one, how do I test for power?

I hope the mobo isn't bad. That's such a PITA to change out.

·
CRF50 Squid
9,583 Posts
Try and run the PC bare bones. Nothing attached to it. No expansion cards (if any), no RAM, just the PSU and motherboard. That right there should eliminate it to one or the other.

·
Another Polak
2,494 Posts
Some power supplies are equipped with a fuse.
Check it out.
My ps burned out when my wife pull the power plug out,
living big ass hole in the main board.

·
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP
11,947 Posts
I guess I'll go buy a VOM. Can I get one a Best Buy?

Also, I've never used one, how do I test for power?

I hope the mobo isn't bad. That's such a PITA to change out.
Radioshack for the multi-meter.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Provided you PS doesn't have a replaceable fuse thats burned out, you have a bad PS. Just because it's new doesn't mean it can't come DOA. If it was the mainboard, you'd at least get some fan activity or some sign of life.

/me slaps money on the table, bad PS

·
Fear is the mind killer
8,770 Posts
Sounds like a bad Power Supply. Normally, when motherboards go bad you will still have power for the case, nothing happens on the screen. He said he gets nothing when he presses the power button.

·
Moderator,
23,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, I'm really thinking its the PS. I bought it at Fry's and I'm looking for the receipt. I have the original box, so hopefully they'll let me take it back and get a new one.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts