Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is just a reminder that fall is among us now.
Our tires don't heat up as fast nor is there that traction we remember that was there when it was 80 degrees and above. So please be careful and ride smooth and conservative these seasons coming upon us now.

I like to refer to it as the term: BE SMOOTH AND CRUISE.

ride safe and prosper!

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
Also, pay special attention to shady areas... and piles of leaves on the street - very slippery and sometimes with a surprise underneath!

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
not to mention the roads dont warm up and generally stay damp longer in the morning.

·
Tgf Og
9,851 Posts
ok heres another, with the fields coming down(corn,hey,etc) the deer will be on the move so look out for them also!:-

·
CLSB RESIDENT *******!!!!
1,331 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys.:thumbsup Being my first year riding I never really even thought of that stuff.

Thanks again
Mark:p

·
Registered
102 Posts
Great info:thumbsup I wish my buddy would have thought about that last year before he fell. He just lost traction into a corner due to the ground being so cold. Ride safely.
---Nick---

·
Moderator,
2,978 Posts
JimGoFast said:
ok heres another, with the fields coming down(corn,hey,etc) ...

...combines, tractors, grain trucks, FARM MACHINERY!!!

These go slow, and pull out of fields slowly. It may not be as big of a deal up here, but I know of two seperate accidents just last year in the area of my hometown where the kid was tearing up the country backroads and comes over a hill to find that theres a combine or a tractor with a disc pulling out of the field entrance. There's nothing the farmer can do when hes halfway out into the road and sees a bike barrelling at him.

motorcycle vs. Combine = you'll lose EVERY time.
motorcycle vs. Tractor w/ disc = ground beef

Be careful!!!!!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I was just thinking about that on my way back from strats tuesday night.

It was cold and I was going a bit too fast coming to the left turn lane at Grand to jump on 45 and the light turned yellow so I opted to stop real fast....slid a little on the oil and everything else including the cold asphalt. Man that was annoying. :rolleyes

Gotta be more careful next time. :D

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
Speaking of deer... the rut should be starting soon and they'll be acting more stupid than usual. Be especially cautious around dusk and just before sunrise.

A good friend of John's was tagged by one on his FXR about 10 days ago up around McHenry.

·
BEER!
5,970 Posts
KBOlsen said:
Speaking of deer... the rut should be starting soon and they'll be acting more stupid than usual. Be especially cautious around dusk and just before sunrise.

A good friend of John's was tagged by one on his FXR about 10 days ago up around McHenry.
Pete damn near hit one on the way to Blackhawk on Friday. It was HUGE. Definately would have ruined the track day for us.

Chris

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
I know its basic knowledge (especially from me:rolleyes) But another thing to remember is the painted lines becomes VERY slippery! The thick stop lines when your making a turn can screw your day in a good turn!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Outstanding

Very cool thread. Outstanding info and a good reminder to us all. Thanks to posts like these this site continues to draw me back!!!:cheers

·
Everybody to the Limit
469 Posts
And my $.02: Since I do most of my riding in the countryside, I have been surprised by walnut trees overhanging the road (just like someone dumped a bushel of golf balls in your path) and when the farmers bring in the crops they generally spread mud down the roads from the machinery tires. Very nerve racking when you pop over a hill and there is a stop sign proceded by a quarter mile of mud.
I think I'll carry my Buck knife so if I hit a deer and live, at least I'll claim the bastard for my freezer. LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts