Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok now the carbs are clean the throttle cable is adjusted getting good response and good force on the take off but now anything over 4k rpms is causing my exhaust to pop like a popcorn machine. I think it is time to bring it out to see oddy , y2kr1, tony and crazy. I feel like I am so close I can taste it. so let me in on when you guys have time so I can see what I can do . :cheers

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
I'm nto an expert, but it sounds liek it's running way elan. Typical if the aftermarket exhaust.

You shuold see how much they modify the fuel curve for a Hindle full system on my bike. Some places, as much as 40% more fuel is needed.

I;d call 4&6 and see how mucha jet kit is, or look on E-bay and try and fid a stock exhaust system.

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Ok clarify for me, yor rolling on the throttle and at 4k it begins to pop while you rstill on the throttle? Does it continue to doo this all the way to redline? Or does it only pop when you let off the throttle?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GsxrTony said:
Ok clarify for me, yor rolling on the throttle and at 4k it begins to pop while you rstill on the throttle? Does it continue to doo this all the way to redline? Or does it only pop when you let off the throttle?
ok when I roll on it pops and the higher the rpms the more it pops both on hard and coming off the throttle, but it seems that after the bike warms up ALOT it pops less I am going to try a new exhaust sys because I think the fact that the carbs were sooooo bad for so long it has runied the system on the bike looked inside and it is covered with a thick black powdery coat so I actually think the baffles may be done for not to mention I think that is why I am having trouble with the idle so I am saving for a jet kit and I have seen a few exhaust systems for pretty good prices not to mention I do want to quiet it down a little bit.

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
That sounds all messed up, anybody got an ideas? Almost sounds like it might be too rich but I'm not sure. How many turns out do you have the mixture adjustment srews?

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
GsxrTony said:
That sounds all messed up, anybody got an ideas? Almost sounds like it might be too rich but I'm not sure. How many turns out do you have the mixture adjustment srews?
Sounds more like it's starved for gas. I think the jet could would take care of this.

BTW: the pipe I have for you is loud and also needs a jet kit. I have a ton of jets I don't need at home. Why don't you check what size yours are and see if I have the next size up. We could keep going up until that popping is gone or we're a running to rich. Either way we figure out what's going on.;)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey crazy I do think it is starving for gas becuase if I gradually roll on when I first start it stutters then catches. so when we change the exhaust maybe you can help with the smaller adjustments? and the main jet is 112.5 I think my floats are not quite right Need help with this I know.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
bnutz24 said:
and the main jet is 112.5
I'm pretty sure that's not the jet size. It's usually in the 20's or 30's.

We'll change the pipe first and see where we are at.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Crazy said:

I'm pretty sure that's not the jet size. It's usually in the 20's or 30's.

We'll change the pipe first and see where we are at.
Sorry reading the wrong number it is pilot jet = 32.5, starter jet = 35:D

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
bnutz24 said:

Sorry reading the wrong number it is pilot jet = 32.5, starter jet = 35:D
I need your main jet number.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crazy said:

I need your main jet number.
main jet number is 112.5, just in case you didn't know I have mikuni bst33ss carbs

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
bnutz24 said:

main jet number is 112.5, just in case you didn't know I have mikuni bst33ss carbs

OK... I must have them mixed up. It's been a while since I've messed with them myself. I'll see if I have some 115's or something.

·
"PC" ,my balls
1,620 Posts
I have a set of 117.5 main jets that sure won't help in my bike. Just let me know if you want them.

·
"PC" ,my balls
1,620 Posts
Just another thought. I know you've been checking plugs and stuff. Make sure the wires are tight and on the right plug. I've found a problem before and got excited because I fixed it and in my haste to get the bike together messed up something else.

·
Lovin this Twin
1,980 Posts
Have you checked your plugs after riding it in that state?

to me it sounds like something more simple, like plug wires { possibly one not pushed down all the way on the plug, and its arking }
What do your plugs look like?

What about the timing? maybe your to far advanced or retarded?

another simple check for older bikes{ uhm do I need to explain?}
check your petcock and see if its deteriorated or squished { the filter on it}

Just a few simple things to check before you decide to pull the carbs off and find out its not them at all.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok due to the fact I just took off and cleaned the carbs, then checked the wires, put in new plugs and the plugs in 3&4 carb are black I think that it really is the A/F mixture running too rich into those. I may need to check timing as well but the plugs seem to be telling me too rich.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why is it always the simple things you forget to check ???? :laughing took ou the plugs yesterday to read them when I noticed one of the plugs had no gap the arm had bent completly in. So I changed that and the pops disappeared. in my opinion running pretty good. Also crazy you were right I was riding wayyyy stiff softened the suspension abit feels alot better now, :cheers :thumbsup

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
bnutz24 said:
Also crazy you were right I was riding wayyyy stiff softened the suspension abit feels alot better now, :cheers :thumbsup
Glad to be of service.:D Sounds like we should tell Eric to check the plugs on his Kat he had the same problem when he rolled on the gas.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
HooliganZX10 said:
I knew it was something simple.....................

I neva get no respect round here:mad
I respect you but you have to understand with a name like hooligan what can you expect:jester

1 - 20 of 20 Posts