Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Thread killer
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this 42" Toshiba Regza LCD (1080p) ....
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Tosh...78155/catOid/-12867/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

for $1299 a couple weeks ago along with the Protection Plan for $329 (25% of TV cost). The sales guy at Circuit City pretty much sold me on it, I was too excited.

I'm thinking about "returning" the protection plan because I did some research and it turns out that there is a 3% repair rate on Toshiba LCDs (Dec '07 Consumer Reports) with an average repair cost of $264.

I think that I'm willing to take that 3% chance and use the money to pay off my PS3 purchase. Is the Protection Plan worth it?

Thoughts?

·
Bop your way home...
5,621 Posts
3% repair rate is over how many years?

How long is the protection plan?

·
The Victim Newbie
7,384 Posts
so you ever watch the simpsons?

when homer removed the crayon from his brain and was a genious, and then realized that it was destroying his life, he had moe put it back in. Moe knew it was 'just right' when Homer stated "...extended warranty, what a good deal.'

·
Thread killer
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so you ever watch the simpsons?

when homer removed the crayon from his brain and was a genious, and then realized that it was destroying his life, he had moe put it back in. Moe knew it was 'just right' when Homer stated "...extended warranty, what a good deal.'
it comes out $65/year or $5.30/month. When you look at it that way it doesn't seem like that much...

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
I elected not for mine. I didn't have a problem. Had I got a DLP I would have gotten the extended service. DLP's have a lot more moving/breakable parts. LCD's not so much. Mine is LCD projection, but I think the same holds true for the flat panel LCD's

·
Bop your way home...
5,621 Posts
$329 to guarantee a working TV for 5 years is not too bad.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Not worth it in my opinion. When I bought my Pioneer plasma it came standard with a 1 year. I purchased it with my AMEX and the 1 year manufacturer warranty got doubled to two years instantly. Buy with AMEX and get a free extra year warranty.
Being in the electronics industry for over 16 years of my life I have found that electronics poop out within the first month is something is wrong, usually sooner. Plus after 2 or 3 years the technology you may have purchased is obsolete, there is something typically out already that is better and cheaper than what you may have bought. But for some that extra security is worth it for them, if it helps you sleep better go for it.

Under200

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
I elected not for mine. I didn't have a problem. Had I got a DLP I would have gotten the extended service. DLP's have a lot more moving/breakable parts. LCD's not so much. Mine is LCD projection, but I think the same holds true for the flat panel LCD's
I actually think the opposite....hear me out.

Isnt a DLP is more serviceable given the moving parts in the light engine. If a repair is needed it can likely be done at home with relative ease. The LCD, not LCD projector might require more extensive and elaboate repairs if repairable at all.

·
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D
11,172 Posts
Break it in 3.75 years and get an upgrade.
+1

a manufacturers warranty is not something you compare it to the store warranties.

manufact will fix your shit.

but lets say it keeps breaking and is a piece of shit,

a retail warranty can dhave you swap it for a different tv.

·
Armed law abiding citizen
19,052 Posts
If it will guarantee the performance of the TV like the ESP plans were years ago, it is a good deal. It basically covers everything. If it does not look as good or sound as good, they will repair it. What is their no lemon guarantee nowadays? I worked there for 8 years, but since I sued them a few times, it has been a while since I have been in their stores. BTW, does it cover the remote? You know that will wear out in 5 years.

·
Thread killer
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If it will guarantee the performance of the TV like the ESP plans were years ago, it is a good deal. It basically covers everything. If it does not look as good or sound as good, they will repair it. What is their no lemon guarantee nowadays? I worked there for 8 years, but since I sued them a few times, it has been a while since I have been in their stores. BTW, does it cover the remote? You know that will wear out in 5 years.
"During the term of the Contract, if Your Product is repaired three times and it fails a fourth time, as verified by the Administrator, we will replace it under Our no lemon guarantee "

not sure about the remote...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts