Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i know its been hashed and re-hashed.....:evil

I bought a new 8 week old puppy! He is a full papered Chocolate Lab and very smart! He is now crate trained and HAPPY at night in there & my wife had him 90% house broken in 6 days! the other 10% is us not getting to the door and opening when he barks in time! :D

ANYWAY....What is a good age to put him in obedience school (training) and what school for bird/pheasant hunting?

next is are there any schools that someone would recommend?

THANKS!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
45,956 Posts
Get him in right now. Rusty went to a school called "A closer Bond" in palatine. They did an amazing job.

It's a week long school (I call it boot camp) he will come back a different dog.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
45,956 Posts
yup start now.

Tony, is that a place where you drop him off and they train him or did you attend the classes with him?
Drop them off for the week. then when you go back to pick him up, you work with the trainer and the dog for about an hour to learn how to control the dog and all the training they just did, then you go back 2 weeks later for a refresher for you and the dog and to work on anything that you are not happy with. it's all part of the package.

I seriously cant recommend them highly enough. They did an amazing job for me, best money I ever spent.
 

·
Woo Woo
Joined
·
2,720 Posts
Buy a book called "Water Dog" and teach him yourself.
Or Ten Minute Retriever, I took my brother's dog to a closer bond and wasn't too happy with the results. They even said they had trouble because of his breed (beagle/blue heeler). Start him/her on birds asap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,079 Posts
where to start...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,079 Posts
Im out for a couple of days
I'll put some thought into this and reply back
 

·
VTwin FTW!
Joined
·
5,564 Posts
Kelly,

I'm in the same boat, but everything I see and read says don't start until their 6 months old.
 

·
__________
Joined
·
6,366 Posts
Kelly,

I'm in the same boat, but everything I see and read says don't start until their 6 months old.
The book "Water Dog" told me all the reasons why this is untrue. If I had my way I would have started him WAY younger than I did. You can start them as soon as you can start housetraining.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,079 Posts
generally a pro trainer wants a dog around 6-7 months depending on basic obedience.
Start with birds now. Get a few dead hens to embed in his head that scent. I can help with birds if you need some.

Also, I consider Water Dog an outdated book as well as all of the books in that series.

There's much more up to date books out there.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top