Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably one of the first people home, so I'll get this started.

ADvanced Group

Day 1:
Started out rainy. Lost the first 2 session trying to dry out the track. My dumb ass did a 360 in the carousel while driving on the track ...doh!:rolleyes It was very slick. I was only going 30-40 mph. Anyway, but the afternoon, the track have descent drip and air temps were near 60 degrees. Tom (kneeinpain) was playing tag with me on most of the afternoon. Allen unfortunatly had a slipping clutch on the "new" F3. Cold tear was a problem for my rear tire (Michelin H2). The bike felt great, but my tire was shredding fast.

Day 2:

It was ass cole in the morning. Frost on the bikes and a little sluch in the coolant resvoirs....NBD. Everything was fine in the first session.... cold, but I managed a couple fairly hot laps. THe next sessoin got ugly. I went out first with some fast/fast guys behind me (I'm a slow/fast guy). The tires were cold and i was sliding all over. this guy gets a drive around me on the outside just after the right to left transition , but loses the front end right next to me... "yes.... there was a reason I was going slow... goofball.

Times kept dropping. Right before lunch I had my best session of the day and was duking it out with Tom and a 996. But I paidf a price....my rear tire was shredded with only 170 miles on them!!! The weren't going ot make the day. I was working on the suspesnion set-up to fix it, but it only seemed ot get worse. I bought a Pilot Race Medium take-off. I was looking forward to chasing Jim, but his new tire took 2 full laps to get hot. I lost 8 seconds to Jim in the beginning and was only closing 1-2 seconds/lap once it got hot:( twice just as I caught him, he pulled off.:twofinger In my fastest session of the weekend, I really got aggressive. Had a few scares flying into turn 1, one near highside in turn 4 (left had sweeper) and a nastly headshake that nearly threw me off the bike exiting the carousel. While WOT in 2nd I drifted onto the curbing. Matt Drucker get a nice view of that one.

Best lap: 1:21.88.

Big :thumbsup ot Jim for getting the bump, and to John for stepping up and clicking off some laps in the 25's on the last session. Looks like someone will be getting a black sticker soon.

Tough luck victims for the Weekend:
Lupi - too ka spill exiting the carousel
Pete - went off in 2 but got the bike back together for day 2
Allan - blew a motor on the tow vehicle, then had a slippin clutch

and the tough luck award goes to... Jeff - struggled wiht the new bike at BHF. got things straigtened out this weekend and was really hauling ass and having a blast battling wiht Jim, until his exhaust header broke. :(

Overall a sweet weekend. Learned a lot and had a blast. The karaokee bar was a blast at night. Can't wait until next year.

·
Tgf Og
9,851 Posts
im home, i had a blast will post more later, down loading the pics the wife took right now. Realy bummed about jeffs bike he missed out on some good action and my bump!

·
Registered
916 Posts
JIM? got bumped to Advanced???:rolleyes I've gotta give a call down to hell and check to see if in fact it has frozen.:rolleyes :evil :evil :evil :rofl

Just how much crack did you get Garth to smoke on saturday night?:evil :rofl jk

Glad to hear everyone is coming home safe and had a good time. Sucks about the mechanica DNF's (Jeff/Allen)!:mad :mad

·
Tgf Og
9,851 Posts
here is a pic of me and my new friends in the "A " group!:D by the way i have to sing a few bars of patsy kline to kneeinpain:mad i will get my revenge next year!:helmet

·
Tgf Og
9,851 Posts
vtr996 said:
JIM? got bumped to Advanced???:rolleyes I've gotta give a call down to hell and check to see if in fact it has frozen.:rolleyes :evil :rofl

Glad to hear everyone is coming home safe and had a good time. Sucks about the mechanica DNF's (Jeff/Allen)!:mad :mad
ROTFLMAO!! yes its true i got bumped to A, and i didnt even have to ask it was offered!!!:twofinger i will say this after the bump to A my lap times went down and stayed within .5 of a second of each other for the entire session! now i need to shed 30 lbs over the winter so i can stay out there for 10 laps so Mike can have his chance at a pass!!

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
Well that was an incredible weekend:D:D:D

...great weather, great track, great riding, and some great mixing it up. Add to that a dumpy bar full of drunk misfits trying kareoke and you have a perfect weekend.

Jeff....sorry you had to head home so early....YOU HAVE ALL WINTER TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET PAST ME. It's going to be a looooong winter for you. :laughing You may have to get a 750 like Jim.

I'm not going to advanced any time soon. I like being at the top of the foodchain. I will safety wire just in case :rolleyes

I was running consistent 1:27-1:28 after lunch. Clicked of one 1:26 somewhere in there. Started working on places where I could shave some time and tried some differnt shifting. I need a 2.5 gear....may drop a tooth in the front over the winter. Just could not get the drive I needed in 3rd exiting 10, 4, 5, 6, 8. 2nd was a little too jumpy but plenty of drive.

It all came together in the last session. Clicked of four 1:25s and the rest 1:26 with a best of 1:25:10. (Dam close to that yellow beast with a 150cc advantage....)

Sidenote...I almost lapped Pete 3x but he had to exit early....he has some issues to sort out. Hang in there big guy. Welcome to Intermediate :D

Props to Kim for boucing back....saw her barrel rolling right in front of me...glad I didn't try passing her in eight on the outside.

·
Tgf Og
9,851 Posts
Kruz said:
Well that was an incredible weekend:D:D:D
It all came together in the last session. Clicked of four 1:25s and the rest 1:26 with a best of 1:25:10. (Dam close to that yellow beast with a 150cc advantage....)
no smack talking between groups!:laughing but thats a full second off the yellow tank.

it was kick ass to get john and dave to line up in front of us in the fast line, jeff and i gave them 2 laps to get there tires up to temp before we started our assult. I believe this really helped john and dave out as for there lap times came tumbling down when they did. i believe they where running 1:31's before they lined up with us and instantly dropped 4 seconds of there lap times!! they looked real good out there. both of them started braking later and are now proud members of "TEAM STUFFIN":laughing :laughing both of them where stuffing each other later on in the day it was hilarious to listen to john bitch at dave for stuffing him only to find out a couple of turns later he did it to dave..... hmm why didnt John bring that up:twofinger
congrats to both of them for picking up the pace and seeing how much fun going fast is!!

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
:thumbsup WHAT A GREAT TIME!!!!!!! :thumbsup

We figured out what caused my rodeo trick in 8... John found little black oil speckles all over my fender and the front of my fairing.:mad Minor damage to the bike (she just gets crunchier) - managed to scrounge a shift lever and the exhaust has yet another "custom" bend.

The Lupori's were the real heroes of the weekend... while Chris, John and I were obliviously waiting for our table in the Merrillville, IN Hooters on the way home, Mr and Mrs Pete, Matty and Rob scared off a pair of would-be motorcycle thieves who were busy trying to unload a certain red SV (and denying me the pleasure of taking a meat mallet to their hands and groins). Probably cousins to the fat, smoking troll at the Ramada.:mad :mad :mad

I want an enclosed trailer for next year. Period.

·
IDK WTF TO PUT HERE NOW!
2,765 Posts
KBOlsen said:
scared off a pair of would-be motorcycle thieves who were busy trying to unload a certain red SV/B]

Note to self: Hooters in Merivell, IN is OFF the visiting list. The girls aren't all that cute, and I like having having a bike. That was probably the only time I will be thankful for a crunchy bike, considering my key was still in it. They went for grovers, He's got less damage.:jester

Well, I had one hell of a great weekend all things considered, I'm a little pissed about lowsiding, but hey shit happens.:twofinger

Session one: Hooligan and I went out and played "Let's stick on the lead CR like Glue!" There were two cruizers out there that were hella slow, and I guess the lady actually did a little off roading. I think I passed them like 3x in one parade session.

Session Two: Hooligan and I were 2-3 this time....still dogging the lead CR. Holligan decided to grow a set or watermellon sized cahones(sp) and decided to pass me on the straight away.:mad Next lap, I picked him and the other fella off. The lead CR slowly started to pick up the pace and I stayed with him. Hooly decided to pass the fella between us. A few laps the lead CR waved the three of us buy, and Hoolys said that was all he saw of me.:confused I pogo'd my right peg in the bus stop, and at the end of the session I talked to the 929 and he said, "holy shit, did you see the guy between us go off?" I look and no Hooly.....thankfully he just did a small off road!

Session Three: I wasn't intending to try and win Jim's bet, but ended up doing it anywho. Yup,, passed pretty much the whole feild of 35 people and about 8 CR's. After that, I had to talk to the CR's about bumping and allowing me to pass other than the main straight. I was floored when they let me pass pretty much anywhere.

Session four, pretty much the same. With a scary pucker moment of 6 wide down the straight. I pulled outta turn 10 and was pushing down the main straight, and see a group on the left of about 7 bikes that were behind Anna and Brian and a CR way off on the right. The group of rider were about 2 wide, until the CR started waving people around Anna and Brian. As they mooved over to get around each other they went about 5 wide with the CR being 6. Not a good thing when I'm hauling ass. The CR's eveys bugged when he saw me, hard on the binders screaming OH SHIT OH SHIT in my helmet. He moved to be about a foot from the grass and I was able to get through. PHEW

Session Five: I got my interview with Wyatt, so I backed down how hard I was pushing since speed wasn't the driving factor they were looking for and just went for smooth and consistant. Well, the bear had another plan for me, and ate me for lunch. Second lap with probably cooler tires yet, I leaned the bike and me through the turn Started scraping my left peg, and the rear just decided to walk away from me as I was exiting the turn. CrznChick said the bike spun around a hella long time as it went up hill, hit the grass, slid on an access road and back to the grass on the other side. For going up hill and hitting concrete/grass/concrete the bike sure went pretty damned far. Not an incredible amount of damage. Bar end, clutch lever, rear set, windscreen and plastics. The Champ special sliders did real well till I hit the grass and mud, which point it snapped off. Sicked because I hit pavement again after that.

No damage to me. Maybe a slightly sprained wrist, but I wasn't sore on Sunday, so taht is a good thing. Actually a knot I have had in my back since I wrecked last year is gone:confused So something very good came out of this!

Well, now I have a few months to put my new track whore back together. I guess I need to see if I can shake the, "Curse of Doc" and move up next season. Crappy thing is all the CR's pretty much said I have to do one full day in beginner before I can even get tested again. I hope they forget about that next year. :jester

Off to go check ebay!
Ciao,
Lupi

·
IDK WTF TO PUT HERE NOW!
2,765 Posts
damn im long winded...ok here are the props!!!:p

Jimbo: Congrats on "A" you were hella haulin ass out there. Glad I've had a good teacher in you!

Kneeinpain: Glad to actually meetcha, I've always seen you out there. Be sure to take it easy on Jimbo while he gets aclimated with "A"

Jeffery: Welcome to my track life. Sucks that the bike went poo-poo on you, you were kicking serious ass out there.

Cherry: Still want to be my CR?!? and how the hell did you manage to rip through a set of tires so fast.

Kruz: Bump Bump Bump Jim needs another playmate, and you're gonna need another challenge sooon!

DJS: same thing, when you moving up?

Kimba: Chumbawumba, "I get knocked dow, but I get up again, you'll never keep me down!"

Champ: Damn...at least two more track days before I can come nip at your rear out there. Way to improve on your first big "I" adventure!

Grover: Well you defied all odds!!!!! I wasn't able to pass you more than 2x in any one session! Keep up the work man, you're improving by leaps and bounds.:cheers

Hooligan: Well well well, I guess I'll have to mess with you some more. You looked real good on Sunday, made me really want to be out there giving you a target to catch!:thumbsup

Anna & Brian: I thought I saw some blurrs out there as I went around. You guys were real quiet. I hope you had a good time out there!

Travis: Grats on your second track days! Man that Agusta is a sweet looking bike! Think the big "O" will let you come back here?

Well, :cheers till next year!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Lupi said:

Well, now I have a few months to put my new track whore back together. I guess I need to see if I can shake the, "Curse of Doc" and move up next season. Crappy thing is all the CR's pretty much said I have to do one full day in beginner before I can even get tested again. I hope they forget about that next year. :jester
Well, it's good to know that the curse is spreading its wealth. I just hope it's off my back. Not that I would wish that upon anybody.

Also, they never told me about having to go a full beginner day before being bumped. I don't know if that is bs, but they were going to bump me on my next trackday w/ them @ gingerman...until the inevitable happened :evil

Doc

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
First off CRASHING SUX

1. Excellent weekend overall. Sat was kool. M1's really are sticky. :D Had no problem with getting them warmed up. Every session I was getting lower and lower times. Was running consistand 1:35's until a littlemishap in 2a.

2. Ok I got spooked when someone tried to pass me on the INSIDE of 2a. I had taken the same line as normal. Start wide and cut to the inside. Its not much of a corner more of a bump. It was the 1st to last session and the checker lap. I saw his shadow and then his tire. I think I panicked. I straightened her up and couldn't dip back down. I tried to scrub speed. Went off and did a major no-no. Hit the front brake. Needless to say, the front went out to the left. Bike went down on the right. Pete went flying off to the right. At about 70-80 mph. Well judging from the ruts both the bike an dmyself left, the bike slid and dug in about 25-30 feet and I went about 35-40 more. Minor damake to the bike. Mostly skins, a few fairing brackets, and a bent rear set. As far as me, bruised ribs and hip. Not bad considering. Got it back to the pits. Didn't get it all back together for the last session so I lost one session.

3. I was trying to get her up and runnin when Lupi pulls into the pits witha busted up bike and grass in his screen. Man was I pissed. I thought he know I crashed and it was in his head thus contributing to his crash. But afterwards he was as shocked I crashed so that was a slight releif. O well we are ok and now I have lots of winter work.

4. Sunday morning I got to the track early to finish getting the bike together. Wasn't that hard. Tecked ok. Had a control rider tell me to basically back off in the straights cause I was holding people off on Saturday. With that and the previous days scrashed, I was real tentative and well SLOW. Times dropped to as low as 1:49's Was that way until lunch. Then I finally got me head out of my ass and said screw them if they cant get around. Its a very wide track and there are lots of spots to pass. So I started to haul ass on the straight again. Topped out at 145. :D got the times down about 5 seconds each next 2 sesions. Then the last session got her to 1:38. not as fast as Sat but I was feeling much better.

5. Got to watch Kimmy go off after the bus stop and had the ability to get right back on. If it were me I would have got off track, but not Kimmy she kept goin. What a trooper.

6. Then the last eventful thing was stopping 2 guys from staling Lupi's, Grovers, and or Kim's bikes. No confrontation, just we pulled up saw what they were doing and managed to scare them off.

·
Lovin this Twin
1,980 Posts
First off ....... Glad that nobody was hurt to bad. well physically anyway, I do believe some egos got squashed a tad, Including mine.

Trying to keep up with Lupi after the CR let us go wasnt a good idea on my part. I panicked inbetween 9 and 10, stood the bike straight up and headed for the trees. Luckily I was able to keep it upright. Next session I started in the back and gradually let the nuts fall back into place, after about 5 laps I was back to chasin Lupi again.

That was the most fun I have ever had on a motorcycle, Ever! Putnam is a kickass track.

Way to go Jimbo, you were railin when they decided to move you up, That guy on the old gsxr was fast eh? I believe he was the only one to get by you in that session.

Lupi........ Someday,,,, I will be able to stay with you when a CR isnt around......... I was impressed :thumbsup

Grover,, :rofl sorry I had to pass ya in the back there but I couldnt let the leaders get away from me, anyway thats what ya get when you stuff me in turn one:mad

Sunday wasnt the same with nobody to play with out there but I ended up having some really good sessions

I am officially hooked on track days

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kruz said:

I was running consistent 1:27-1:28 after lunch. Clicked of one 1:26 somewhere in there. Started working on places where I could shave some time and tried some differnt shifting. I need a 2.5 gear....may drop a tooth in the front over the winter. Just could not get the drive I needed in 3rd exiting 10, 4, 5, 6, 8. 2nd was a little too jumpy but plenty of drive.

Are you still running a 525 chain??? I have a 15T front sprocket you can have. I might get a 15T for my 520 set-up myself. I could have used 4th a lot more and getting a good drive out of 10 really makes all the difference for a fast lap.

I was pretty fast in 1-5, but slow in 6-10. Turn 4 was one of the frist places I've ever been able to regularly get off the bike and hold enough corner speed to drag a knee through it. I never got comfortable in the carousel.

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Champ91 said:
First off CRASHING SUX

2. Ok I got spooked when someone tried to pass me on the INSIDE of 2a. I had taken the same line as normal. Start wide and cut to the inside. Its not much of a corner more of a bump. It was the 1st to last session and the checker lap. I saw his shadow and then his tire. I think I panicked. I straightened her up and couldn't dip back down.

once or twice I ran wide there myself, lifted the throttle slightly and was able to keep her on the track.

BTW - 2 is definitely a corner, so is 3, you just have to be going fast enough to make it one. :thumbsup

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
If the 525 is stock then Yes I am. I need to research my options...I may be doing the 520 conversion.

Any recommendations?

When were you in fourth needing a drive?....certainly not in any corner....maybe turn 4.

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
cherrypicker said:

once or twice I ran wide there myself, lifted the throttle slightly and was able to keep her on the track.

BTW - 2 is definitely a corner, so is 3, you just have to be going fast enough to make it one. :thumbsup
3 is the left handed right. its def a corner and a fun one at that. and your right, if your going fast enough 2 and 2a blend together.

·
Registered
813 Posts
vtr996 said:
JIM? got bumped to Advanced???:rolleyes I've gotta give a call down to hell and check to see if in fact it has frozen.:rolleyes :evil :evil :evil :rofl

:rofl
Wife: "What the heck are you laughing at?" Me: "Nothing, honey. Just some guys on the clsb board. ":laughing

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kruz said:
If the 525 is stock then Yes I am. I need to research my options...I may be doing the 520 conversion.

Any recommendations?

When were you in fourth needing a drive?....certainly not in any corner....maybe turn 4.
If I lower the final drive ratio with a 15T, I could use 4th gear through turns 1-5 up to the bus stop. Especially if I can get another 5 or 6 HP with some tuning and more corner speed wiht a fork job and bigger set of balls to go with them.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts