Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Jewrassic Park Runaway
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am interviewing with CDW now for internal (non-sales) senior level IT position. There are news of CDW being aquired by some private equity firm. this deal should close very soon from what I hear.

What are the expectations amond CDW internal crowd, what the rumor mill has? - what are changes expected? Anyone in CDW is worried about "trimming fat", "efficiency reviews" and other stuff like that?

Also, what is the work environment, how driven? what are the expectations. I know that in that new position there will be no 9-5 hours, and the responsibilities will be huge, but still I would like to know whats the philosophy there: "all work and no play" or something different, also, how about stress levels and team environment?

·
stuck in 6th gear,
7,631 Posts
So, I am interviewing with CDW now for internal (non-sales) senior level IT position. There are news of CDW being aquired by some private equity firm. this deal should close very soon from what I hear.

What are the expectations amond CDW internal crowd, what the rumor mill has? - what are changes expected? Anyone in CDW is worried about "trimming fat", "efficiency reviews" and other stuff like that?
if you get any answers about that on here, then it's not a company worth working for as nobody can keep their mouth shut :lmao:

·
Jewrassic Park Runaway
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was talking about that - but I think the deal was approved by FTC just few weeks ago though

·
Premium Member
9,252 Posts
The deal is done. The mood will be happy as hell - since they got word that all the stock options are getting paid out in full. Moreover, Krazny gave a nice chunk of "thanks for letting me steal your soul" money to all the employees.

A buddy that I started with cleared six figures between those two payouts. So yeah - everyone should be pretty damn geeked about the whole thing.

They might still do free bagels once a week, and Hawaiian shirt day on Fridays. So you know...uhhh... you can uhhh...feel free to wear a Hawaiian shirt and jeans on that day.

:D

·
Irony helps us play!
29,500 Posts
Hey, good for them. Honoring stock grants and paying out retention bonuses is a very very good sign.

It's nice to see some companies still understand that employee morale is key to success.

Armed with that info, I'll try to use them more often for purchases....

·
Wooohooo
2,207 Posts
We got paid son. Got me some cash for my stocks and getting me some cash from the Krazny fellow for free and I just got my christmas bonus, and a 20 dollar visa card for some holiday Turkey for the family. CDW is nice to it's employees.

·
SV650N
3,117 Posts
I worked at CDW as a development contractor for six weeks last summer. They work the web dev team to the bone, but they match it with TONS of perks, so all in all, people are pretty grateful for their jobs.

I don't see a downside to working for CDW.

·
Old School
1,007 Posts
CDW is a good company.

If you work hard you are rewarded and the buyout is done.
We are private now. What postion are really looking at?
doughnuts and bagels are twice a week and I dont know about the haiwan shirts but you can wear sports team shirts pretty much all year.
Plenty of perks......:cheers:
It will be changing as we go private, so expect change.

·
Irony helps us play!
29,500 Posts
FWIW, this is the time you want to ass-kiss and move up the ladder if you can because it will be more rewarded as they eventually take it public down the line. I don't know CDWs specific plans, but that's usually the pattern.. take private, build up the books, make them look really nice and the funders eventually want their money back and then some (IPO or another sell-off).

·
Jewrassic Park Runaway
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yey - I accepted the offer! I will be CDW employee starting 1/7/08 :)

BTW, my current job asked me if I can help them to find a replacement for me, so there is an opening for senoir lever Wintel system engineer.

requirements:

STRONG! knowledge in AD, DNS, WINS, DHCP, MS clustering, exchange, SAN, VMWARE, large corporate networks, DR technologies.

Experience in technical lead role in large scale deployment projects, certifications (MSCE) strongly prefered, BS degree strongly prefered.

The job is with Evanston Northwestern Healthcare in Skokie - amazing benefits, competitive pay - high 80s, lifetime job security, fun and friendly team.

·
Jewrassic Park Runaway
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's cool. What do you do there? Is there a motorcycle parking? My new boss is a rider too - HD ultra classic owner.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Q for CDW employees?

bringing this thread back since I just applied for a maintenance position at CDW in Vernon Hills. Anyone here work there? I usually do mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic work. Alot of plc's, robots, pick and place stuff, ladder logic as well as some facilities maint.
I'm rock solid dependable and always regarded as one of the top employees where ever I've worked (not a job hopper either)! I would greatly appreciate any advise or a hand.

Just looking for feedback on the work environment, pay, and benefits? I'd like the possiblity to grow but lately, I need to get back on 1st shift. I want to spend more time with my family. A referral from a current CDW would be awesome (I won't make anyone look bad, promise)!

TIA
Al

·
Jewrassic Park Runaway
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am working in Vernon Hills IT. Based on your work description, you will be workin in the warehouse - it's highly automated, very up to date and computerized - looks like perfect place for a final shooting scene of an action movie - boxes moving on belts and shit, multiple levels, robotic arms and all this stuff.

Work environment, at least in IT is very good! people are great, there is a slightly difference, in a goood way, culture about employees and stuff - lots of extra activities, defined system of perks, some are very nice, daycare, full blown health club on the premises, employee discounts - very nice.

Pay and benefits are competitive, not as good as they were when CDW ran under MPK or was public, but still on par with the rest.

I don't really know you, so I am not sure what kind of referral you are looking for, but, sure, you can mention my name - PM me if needed

·
Registered
773 Posts
Cdw

Thanks for the reply.
I wouldn't offer myself as a reference to anyone I didn't know either. I'll probably take your offer via PM (possibly track my Resume to the recruiter)?

Thanks again,
Al

·
Jewrassic Park Runaway
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess, you got the job, since I got an unexpected referral bonus in my paycheck today!

Thanks for jotting down my name, wish you luck!

i owe you lunch, find me in directory, give me a call :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Samal, looking to get in there, but can never get into IT position, they never hiring when I look. :(
If I tried to get the sales job that they're looking for, is there a chance to get to IT internally, or am I better off waiting for something IT to open up?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts