Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I think my 208GPs are officially toast after Gingerman. Time to get a new set. I've been thinking about trying out the Pilot Sport H2s. This is a track only bike. I'm just looking for a little more durable compound than the 208s. No complaints about the 208s, but I really have nothing to compare them to. Plus at $325 a set installed(and thats with a big discount)....they are a bit pricey.

Any good internet/mail order places you guys can recommend?

·
Tgf Og
9,851 Posts
ya know i was thinking the same thing as you, but i love my 208's so im gonna stick with them.

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
Your STT membership will get you the best price I've seen (through Monte)... or else try that place in Colorado (www.discountmotorcycletire.com)

Although I've no basis for comparison, John swears by Michelin. And since (for the most part) I ride like Grandma, they've held up VERY well (am on the 2nd rear and original front for the season). Hopefully next year I'll be chewing 'em up on a regular basis!

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shit...that discountmotorcycletire place wants $315 shipped. For ten bucks more I can have Drucker throw the 208s on for me. This discount place wants $392 for the 208s? Ouch
And then I have to get them mounted Ouch again.

·
Registered
916 Posts
MDRacing is great for Dunlop....Matt is anti-Michelin. LOL

I've used the 208's on the SHawk and Pilot Slicks on the BHawk. Both have TONS of grip and seemed to stick well even with 20+ heat cycles for my slow ass.

Island racing ( http://www.bibmen.com/index.htmldown ) in Texas has good prices for Michelin tires.

For Pilot Race (not the new Race H2/M2/S2's)

180/55ZR17 and 120/70ZR17 Pilot Race - $270.00
180/55ZR17 and 120/70ZR17 Pilot Race Soft - $270.00

H2's(Street)/M2's(Race)/S2's(Soft)

FRONT TIRES 120/70ZR17 Race 2 H2 $128.00 120/70ZR17 Race 2 M2 $152.00 120/70ZR17 Race 2 S2 $152.00
REAR TIRES 180/55ZR17 Race 2 H2 $152.00 180/55ZR17 Race 2 M2 $208.00 180/55ZR17 Race 2 S2 $208.00

And if you really wanna look like a paddock pimp....slicks are the dogs bollocks ;-) Your F4i is TRACK ONLY and you've got money to burn....so go ahead ;-) Anything less would be uncivilized.

FRONTS 9/58-17 $ 139.00 12/60-17 $ 169.00
REARS 12/59-17 $ 129.00 12/60-17 $ 174.00 16/62-17 $ 219.00 16/63-17 $ 209.00 18/67-17 $ 219.00

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
Ouch! That does seem like a lotta $. I forgot about mounting, too. :(

The 208's are really good tires... if you're happy with them, changing brands could be an expensive experiment!

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
for what its worth....i got this info from JIM at 4&6 he doesnt suggest the new H2 unless your a racing pro (i guess AMA
SBK racer) the problem with the H2's are when they break loose...there is NO warning...and when it goes...IT GOES...so unless your a pro..doesnt look like it is suggested.

more so the 208's give some minor warning in which you can control them if you gots the skillz!;)

·
Tgf Og
9,851 Posts
Odysseys said:
for what its worth....i got this info from JIM at 4&6 he doesnt suggest the new H2 unless your a racing pro (i guess AMA
SBK racer) the problem with the H2's are when they break loose...there is NO warning...and when it goes...IT GOES...so unless your a pro..doesnt look like it is suggested.

more so the 208's give some minor warning in which you can control them if you gots the skillz!;)
Actually i listen in on a conversation between matt d and dave333 and matt said the same thing as jim, and i think dave333 can verify both there comments to be true!;)

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
well it looks like its offical then the H2's sucks as far as dependability of threshold traction predicability.

(ahh my brain hurts from those big words)

·
Tgf Og
9,851 Posts
Odysseys said:
well it looks like its offical then the H2's sucks as far as dependability of threshold traction predicability.

(ahh my brain hurts from those big words)
yes and the spelling looks spot on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Money to burn...hardly. To spend on toys...maybe. :D
I just need a job with <60 work weeks to enjoy them all.

Ken...Are you hinting that Im not a pro? :rolleyes

Im going to have to count my heat cycles on the laptimer. Ive got to have 30+

Road America (5 or 6)
BHF (6 or 7)
Grattan (8 or 9)
Two Gingerman days (13-15)

37!!! HS...I need new rubber.

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
as far as i am concerned...i am sticking with my M1's for the street and my little track days.
they are sweet, sticky, fast temping, predictable, and i have pushed these boys and got them back into control...almost very easily.

and when i get a track bitch, its 208's all the way

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
Go with a set of slicks and learn how to really slide the bike around.

I would think they should be good for about 3 tracks days before they get hard from heat cycles.

Also, I've met some guys that like the Super Corsa's and the Rennsports.

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
john i am refering to riders in general about being a pro to be able to control and KNOW when you are RIGHT ON THAT LINE of traction breaking loose.
but if your asking me if i consider you a pro?...(dont ask;) ) your doing good bro...nice and slow working your way up...very smart;)

am i a pro?..FUCK NO...i am a wanna be punk...BUT another reason i like my m-1's..youll see em next time...i just realized i WENT OVER the edge of the rear tire..and melted square that edge where the tire goes over to it side wall...very cool poser point for my a SOW:laughing

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
I heard Jim's comments too. I'll see what my "major sponsor" says when he comes home. Thus far, I've had nothing less than total confidence in my tires, but they MIGHT be getting a little 'long in the tooth'.

·
3,613 Posts
Michael said:
i opted not to congratulate him for this :D but it was noticed :D:D
Sorry to ruin all the fun, but predictability was misspelled. Tsk tsk, Michael, you're slackin' off. :D

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
OK REALLY, YOU GUYS TO LAY OFF MY SPELLING AND GRAMMAR AND PRONUNCIATION. IF I WANTED TO COMPOSE EVERYTHING I DO INTO PROFESSIONAL LITERATURE STANDARDS I WOULD BE ELSE WHERE, NOT HERE TRYING TO HAVE SOME FUN.

it's starting to get on my nerves and i DONT want to be an asshole about it. so please dont make me

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think you missed a "need" in there somewhere....;) :rolleyes

I believe "elsewhere" is one word...

OK....enough is enough guys...no more making fun of Ken's poor typing skills.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts