Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the following in regards of how to become a reseller or rebuilder or motorcycles in IL?

How much does it cost?
How long does it take?
Do you need a business or physical store to operate out of?

I want to pickup some project bikes and track bikes, but I need to be a reseller or rebuilder to buy them.

Anyone out there have these credentials and want to help?

While I'm asking. Anyone know of any good salvage places to get bikes? Maybe you know some that I don't yet?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I was discussing this with a co-worker one time. He had a license and said that you need to prove that you have a space to store the motorcycles in order to get your license.

·
n00b
772 Posts
I would call up the DMV and ask. You will probably also need to get bonded in some shape or form. If you find out what you need I might be able to help. Every state seems to be different in what they require, and haven't done a IL one yet.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Greg. You may want to chat with Big Kig aka Jason, he had a bike biz doing salvages and may have more inside info, and explain why he got out.

·
Retired but still working
1,089 Posts
Greg... I have a few connections with the people who do the work on my bike in town. I can ask for you.

·
Retired but still working
1,089 Posts
http://www.crankyape.com/

Couple of guys I know got two great deals here. I don't know much about them but they liked. Good luck.

·
What?
85 Posts
Greg, It will be by far easier to move to Iowa, where they have very liberal salvage laws. Citizens can buy and rebuild salvage in Iowa.

I know when I got be rebuilders license, I had to have a stand alone location, with hours posted. An agent from the Secretary of state will come out and inspect your location to see if it qualifies.

When you rebuild in Illinois, and you are actually planning on getting rebuilt titles, you will have to get them inspected.

The first inspection is a safety DOT inspection.

The next is an inspection by the Secretary of State Police. You must have all documentation in order. If it was new, you better have a receipt, if it was used, you better have a receipt with VIN # of the bike it came off of ( most EBAY purchases won't comply). I have seen them get insurance company photos and say " We know you replaced this, this, and this. Where are the receipts?" If you don't get it perfect then they will make you get it inspected again, with another fee. Of course it easy to get it perfect the first time.

I think the license itself is like $100 a year.

A private individual can sell something like 7 vehicles a year with out spending $1000 on a dealer licence. I also think you must show proof of insurance too. I can't remember.

Or you can move to Iowa.

·
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info MD. I know when I was rebuilding my Ducati, it was a pain in the butt. I ended up selling it to a guy in NC and he got it titled no problem. I don't care about making them street legal. Just want to get a project track bike. Stupid Illinois politics. I'm moving to TN. You just take the paperwork to the state and they take care of it.

Most salvage bikes go for far to much money. Then you find some reasonably priced and you have to be dealer. Darn details.

·
DONATING MEMBER
25,071 Posts
I don't think now you can get a rebuilders license without a dealers also. You also have to have business insurance with minimum values and a surety bond if newly licensed within the last three years. Bottom line.....not cheap or easy. And if you go through all that then you get to go to the auctions with all the other car dealer's buddies bidding against you for their next race bike. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts